Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new M5 - review in the Alps and Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 01:10 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Got a lot of offers above asking price amazingly. Sold.
Cool, your 550i was a very good deal, I would get it if I didn't buy my car. Congrats!
Old 09-27-12, 02:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Cool, your 550i was a very good deal, I would get it if I didn't buy my car. Congrats!
one cool thing about batman's 550, iirc, is the leather dash, which isn't a US spec option i think but he got it through euro delivery. i think that adds so much richness to the interior
Old 09-27-12, 02:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am sure it's all worth it though. seriously, just the trip and experience of euro delivery itself...!!!!!!
The vacation was really fantastic. Everyone really enjoyed it. But there is so much more to see. Next time I want to go east to Prague and Budapest.

If the resale value of this one is as strong as the last one I may do this again next year with the M6GC.
Old 09-27-12, 02:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never look into the 5 series, but leather dash is an option for 7 series.
Old 09-27-12, 02:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

GREAT write up, I always wanted to know the differences between a M5 and a 550i M-Sport Dinan Stage 2. Thank you very much for sharing

Excellent choice on the interior color combo, it definitely looks killer!!
Old 09-27-12, 04:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The vacation was really fantastic. Everyone really enjoyed it. But there is so much more to see. Next time I want to go east to Prague and Budapest.

If the resale value of this one is as strong as the last one I may do this again next year with the M6GC.
if you do, make sure you say hi, I am not that far away :-).
Old 09-27-12, 09:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow didn't have that 550i very long hah! nice upgrade
Old 09-27-12, 09:28 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If time and money allows for him, then he could visit you all the way to Croatia. After all, Zagreb isn't that far off either

Anyways, this European Delivery (ED) program looks awesome. BMW should do this for customers not just in USA but also for other countries as well.

Heck, even an individualization option would be more than enough for me. I mean, to just fly to BMW Germany, choose all the options and specifications for the car and to see it in-the-flesh before it is shipped to one's home country is more than what I could ask for alone

P.S.
@Batman

How would you compare the new M5 (F10) versus the previous model (E60)? Pros and cons?

Last edited by Blackraven; 09-27-12 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-27-12, 09:55 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!!!! Great write up! I love the color combo! Also great program BMW has going.
Old 09-27-12, 10:33 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up!! Enjoy the car in great health!! It's beautiful!!!
Old 09-27-12, 10:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is awesome you went to Germany to pick up your M5 and got to drive it around the Alps and other sites, a truly special and unique buying experience you will never forget. The acceleration of the M5 is amazing considering the size and weight of it.
Old 09-28-12, 09:55 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Anyways, this European Delivery (ED) program looks awesome. BMW should do this for customers not just in USA but also for other countries as well.

How would you compare the new M5 (F10) versus the previous model (E60)? Pros and cons?
I think they offer this to anyone in Europe, plus US, Canada and Brazil.

I can't compare to the E60 since I didn't have one. I thought the E60 design was so ugly, I went to Lexus and drive a GS460 for a couple of years till the 2012 550 came out. That said BMWs previous generation of M Cars had serious issues with day to day driving comfort. My 2004 M3 was so uncomfortable to drive, i only did about 4000 miles a year. They were not enjoyable to drive except when driving hard on open roads. The new one is enjoyable all the time.
Old 09-28-12, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congratulations...quite a car.

It's also nice, of course, to be able to pick it up in Germany and see the Alps. But, any way you look at it, that's a lot to spend on a new car (including the vacation and shipping, of course). Do you feel the car is good enough that it was worth it?
Old 09-28-12, 10:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
If time and money allows for him, then he could visit you all the way to Croatia. After all, Zagreb isn't that far off either

Heck, even an individualization option would be more than enough for me. I mean, to just fly to BMW Germany, choose all the options and specifications for the car and to see it in-the-flesh before it is shipped to one's home country is more than what I could ask for alone

P.S.
@Batman

its cool, and yes, I am close by :-)
Old 09-28-12, 12:36 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations...quite a car.

It's also nice, of course, to be able to pick it up in Germany and see the Alps. But, any way you look at it, that's a lot to spend on a new car (including the vacation and shipping, of course). Do you feel the car is good enough that it was worth it?
Not to be cocky, but its all relative. A lot of people in my income bracket drive Bentleys. I think the M5 is a bargain for what you get:
- Performance that exceeds a Panamera Turbo which costs about $50k more
- Full leather interior with highest quality natural hides
- A dynamic car you can enjoy just running errands around town, driving on windy country roads, or on the track
- Inconspicuous appearance that I wouldn't feel embarrassed showing up at a client in this car, in a way that I would if I had bought a Bentley or Panamera

Plus I don't want to go into the details, but due to some unique circumstances and perfect timing, I got an exceptional discount which should cover most of my year 1 depreciation.

Bottom line - definitely worth it. I love the car, and I think it is a bargain for what it delivers.

Quick Reply: My new M5 - review in the Alps and Autobahn