Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new M5 - review in the Alps and Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 12:37 PM
LexFather

Sweet pics and write-up!

Old 09-28-12, 01:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Not to be cocky, but its all relative. A lot of people in my income bracket drive Bentleys. I think the M5 is a bargain for what you get:
- Performance that exceeds a Panamera Turbo which costs about $50k more
- Full leather interior with highest quality natural hides
- A dynamic car you can enjoy just running errands around town, driving on windy country roads, or on the track
- Inconspicuous appearance that I wouldn't feel embarrassed showing up at a client in this car, in a way that I would if I had bought a Bentley or Panamera

Plus I don't want to go into the details, but due to some unique circumstances and perfect timing, I got an exceptional discount which should cover most of my year 1 depreciation.

Bottom line - definitely worth it. I love the car, and I think it is a bargain for what it delivers.
great post, i agree completely. everything is relative.
Old 09-28-12, 04:44 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent write-up & congrats on the new ride
Old 09-28-12, 05:15 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Beautiful car in a beautiful color. Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Old 09-28-12, 05:26 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely stunning!
Old 09-28-12, 05:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Not to be cocky, but its all relative. A lot of people in my income bracket drive Bentleys. I think the M5 is a bargain for what you get:
- Full leather interior with highest quality natural hides
- A dynamic car you can enjoy just running errands around town, driving on windy country roads, or on the track
- Inconspicuous appearance that I wouldn't feel embarrassed showing up at a client in this car, in a way that I would if I had bought a Bentley or Panamera

Plus I don't want to go into the details, but due to some unique circumstances and perfect timing, I got an exceptional discount which should cover most of my year 1 depreciation.

Bottom line - definitely worth it. I love the car, and I think it is a bargain for what it delivers.
bottom line, if near Zagreb, beers on spwolf :-)
Old 09-28-12, 07:53 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet write-up and awesome car! I was hanging on your every word. What an awesome way to enjoy the first few weeks with your BWM.

Really?

Now that M5 is badazz for sure, but more perfromance than a Panamera Turbo? The Panamera Turbo with that 4WD is certainly a tad quicker out of the hole....yet once the M5 hooks up, I think it walks the Pan Turbo down and passes it with that extra power.

But handling? Does that M5 really handle better than that oddball Panamera Turbo? I think that crazy-looking Porsche pulls 1.0g with that advanced all-wheel drive system....no way that M5 is holding onto the earth like that, right?

Again, that M5, like that big Porsche, is a technical marvel, especially since both carry so much weight. And I'd rather own the M5 than that bizarro Panamera myself.....but that Pan Turbo's performance is almost otherwordly when it comes to raw handling and putting power to the ground. Having been lucky to have been a passenger in a Pan Turbo, I can honestly say almost crapped my pants at some of the stuff that Pan Hatch can do...especially in the twisties. I can't even imagine that thing on a track.

Last edited by KevinGS; 09-29-12 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-28-12, 09:33 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Now that M5 is badazz for sure, but more perfromance than a Panamera Turbo? The Panamera Turbo with that 4WD is certainly a tad quicker out of the hole....yet once the M5 hooks up, I think it walks the Pan Turbo down and passes it with that extra power.

But handling? Does that M5 really handle better than that oddball Panamera Turbo? I think that crazy-looking Porsche pulls 1.0g with that advanced all-wheel drive system....no way that M5 is holding onto the earth like that, right?
The cornering grip of the M5 is quite astonishing.

The Ring times are 7:55 for the F10 M5 and 7:56 for the Panamera Turbo. So if you believe the Nurburgring is a good test of performance balancing challenging corners and straights, then the M5 is a better performance car than the Panamera Turbo.

That said, for me, the measure of a car is not the numbers, but how it feels to drive it, and this is where the M5 nails a 4WD Porsche sedan. The driving dynamics are just on another level.

Old 09-29-12, 01:53 AM
higeki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks fun. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-29-12, 05:18 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cornering grip of the M5 is quite astonishing.

The Ring times are 7:55 for the F10 M5 and 7:56 for the Panamera Turbo. So if you believe the Nurburgring is a good test of performance balancing challenging corners and straights, then the M5 is a better performance car than the Panamera Turbo.

That said, for me, the measure of a car is not the numbers, but how it feels to drive it, and this is where the M5 nails a 4WD Porsche sedan. The driving dynamics are just on another level.
Wow, Batman! I didn't realize the M5's Nurburgring times were so low. OMG! that's impressive.

If the M5's overall driving dynamics are better than the Pan Turbo's, then that truly is one hellluva car for sure. I will take your word for it. Many thumbs up on a great purchase.
Old 09-29-12, 02:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Here's one feature you have in an M5 which Porsche doesn't have: The M HUD.

It's awesome. The rainbow is the tachometer. There are also shift lights on the outside that tell you when to shift once you enter the yellow area (obviously can't be seem in this pic. Underneath the big number tells you what gear you are in. To the left is the speed limit, and to the right the actual speed you are going.

Old 09-30-12, 12:22 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh, I love the M HUD! Can you code it to display more info?
Old 09-30-12, 01:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

great trip. great story. great car. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the new ride and a wonderful vacation.
Old 09-30-12, 04:53 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Ahh, I love the M HUD! Can you code it to display more info?
Well it also displays navigation guidance in full color, turn signals, collision warning, lane departure warning, and several other warnings like low gas. Nothing to code really.
Old 09-30-12, 09:52 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car, beautiful color, and nice story. Congrats!!!

Wish I was a baller like some of you guys

Quick Reply: My new M5 - review in the Alps and Autobahn