Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparison: 2012-2013 Midsize Sedan "Battle of the Best-Sellers"

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 08:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
MT has to justify their COTY choice but overall I don't have a problem with the article. And I happen to mostly agree with the their evaluation on the Camry. An utterly dull and indifferent vehicle. If it were me the Camry would be the absolute LAST car I'd consider in this class. For me it would come down to Altima or Accord. Fusion looks nice but the Germanic ride quality is something I probably couldn't live with.
Old 10-02-12, 08:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the new Camry seriously that bad? I never driven it, but I though it was supposed to be a big improvement over the last Camry, which wasn't even so bad?
Old 10-02-12, 09:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^No. It's really a pretty solid car.
Old 10-02-12, 09:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Is the new Camry seriously that bad? I never driven it, but I though it was supposed to be a big improvement over the last Camry, which wasn't even so bad?

Having had two last generation ('07 XLE and '11 Hybrid) Camry,I can tell you the new Camry doesn't ride anywhere as smooth and quiet at the last generation.I've driven both the hybrid and gas models.It does handle better but I'm all about a smooth quiet ride in a non sport sedan.
I also find the exterior design to be awful and interior cheap looking.
It doesn't matter as a Camry will sell no matter how it looks.
Old 10-02-12, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
imo, it is a homely sedan, but supremely reliable, and a refined chassis.
Old 10-02-12, 06:07 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are are amazing compared to 20 years ago. Any family today is lucky to have any.
Old 10-02-12, 07:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
up to this review, everyone said it was very very solid, MT wrote 3-4 reviews which all said basically its good.
Old 10-02-12, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Typical auto-press review of family sedans.........they forget that they aren't testing sports-cars, and often (but not always) pick the ones with the firmest rides and quickest-steering-response. That's fine for sports-sedan enthusiasts, but these magazines need to remember that most families (and single-people) buy these cars for reliability, comfort and family-hauling, not slalom-performance.

They also made a big mistake, IMO (despite their excuses for doing so), by not including the latest Sonata, the superb Kia Optima, and the much-improved Chrysler 200 in the review.
Old 10-02-12, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
IMO, despite the thinner sheet-metal and stiffer ride of the latest version, the new Camry is a better car, overall, than its predecessor. I don't agree with the way MT bashed it in this review.
Old 10-02-12, 09:35 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Even though VW owns Audi, the Passat and A4/5 are apples and oranges lol
Question, which would you take, the A5 or the Passat? I think I know the answer but you are entitled to your choice. My point is reliability which I would think is conglomerate wide. Lexus/ Toyota is better than Audi/WV in the reliability area.
5 years from now, the Passat will be burning oil and the Camry will be driving like new.
Old 10-02-12, 10:31 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C&D will have their own comparison out in a few days. Accord is #1, Fusion #2, Altima #2, and Passat dead last.
Old 10-03-12, 12:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Question, which would you take, the A5 or the Passat? I think I know the answer but you are entitled to your choice. My point is reliability which I would think is conglomerate wide. Lexus/ Toyota is better than Audi/WV in the reliability area.
5 years from now, the Passat will be burning oil and the Camry will be driving like new.
I'm not arguing Audi/VW is better than Lexus/Toyota, it's rather obvious. But an Audi despite it's lineage to the VW is made to better standards.
Old 10-03-12, 08:14 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm not arguing Audi/VW is better than Lexus/Toyota, it's rather obvious. But an Audi despite it's lineage to the VW is made to better standards.
We are not disagreeing here as this is exactly my point. Audi is made and pointed towards better standards and still our A5 burns oil and this is normal according to the service advisor. The Passat being of the lower standard in the world view, I would expect not only to burn oil but worse. Thus, my analogy of the Passat to our A5. In this case, the apple is related to the orange
Old 10-03-12, 08:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They tested the wrong trim level of the Camry. Mom bought one and we looked at a lot of them. The SE is a better looking car with no chrome, sporty alloys, firmer suspension, and a much nicer looking black/grey interior with supportive suede sport seats. The LE and XLE look ugly by comparison, seats are flaccid, and have some rather questionable color combo/material choices on the tan interior. I agree though that the car is kind of loud, lots of tire noise from the low profile 18" wheels, I think 4 cylinder SE's ride on 17" wheels/tires.
Old 10-04-12, 10:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
No, it is a big improvement, this MT comparison was way off. Either they totally lost it with bias, or their Camry tester had something seriously wrong with it.

Contrary to the vocal minority who complain on online forums about the new Camry, in the real world, the new Camry has a much better-quality interior than the previous generation. The interior is better quality than much of the competition in fact. The whole car overall is just better built than the previous generation Camry was. That, and it drives better than the previous-generation model.

Quick Reply: MT Comparison: 2012-2013 Midsize Sedan "Battle of the Best-Sellers"