Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Italians buy more bikes than cars for the first time since WWII

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 02:20 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Italians buy more bikes than cars for the first time since WWII

Italians buy more bikes than cars for the first time since WWII

In the midst of economic turmoil in Europe, more Italians are turning to bikes as their preferred mode of transportation. Such is the bicycle's popularity in Italy that purchases of the pedal-powered two wheelers have eclipsed automobile sales for the first time since World War II.

According to The Christian Science Monitor, last year 1.75 million bikes were sold in Italy, compared to 1.748 million motor vehicles. Contributing to this trend are rising fuel prices and hefty costs associated with keeping a car on the road. Gas prices recently hit €2 a liter ($9.50 a gallon), and the average cost of ownership is estimated at around €7,0000 ($9,000) a year.

There is also the sheer congestion associated with driving in many parts of Italy. Narrow roads and a high level of automobile ownership (6 in 10 own cars, one of the highest rates in the world), have made for cramped streets in many Italian cities. The author of the report notes that a several-mile journey in the heart of Rome is quicker by bike than taxi.

Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne is among those feeling the heat from this trend, admitting "Anyone operating in the automotive sector in Europe today is experiencing varying degrees of unhappiness. The European car market is a disaster." Fiat released industry figures that showed September auto sales down 25 percent compared to the same period in 2011.

Antonio Della Venezia, president of the Italian Federation of Bike Lovers told Italian paper La Republica, "People who have only ever driven cars are changing their thinking. I don't think Italy will go back to the levels of car sales that we saw before 2008."

He may be right. Many families are downsizing to just one car, participating in carpool groups, and purchasing bicycles as alternatives to the rising costs of automobile ownership. It is estimated that around 200,000 old bikes have been restored for regular use. The inexpensive and convenient mode of transportation has once again caught on in Italy – just ask Monica Bellucci.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/04/i...me-since-wwii/
Old 10-04-12, 03:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MONICA BELUCCI IS MY DREAM WOMAN!!!
Old 10-04-12, 04:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Obviously the economy in Europe is in the toilet, thus lowering car sales.

But I think there is going to be a future trend of Europeans ditching their existing cars, much less buying expensive new ones. The governments tax the ever living hell out of car owners, not just in gasoline taxes. I'm talking about sales tax when you buy the car, inspection taxes, some countries charge you a yearly tax based on the value of the car. Insurance rates are A LOT higher there than here. Not to mention the very rigorous yearly inspection standards for cars over there, I'd bet about 1/5 of the cars on the road in the US would fail an inspection in Europe.

Just saying it is HIDEOUSLY EXPENSIVE to own a car in Europe compared to anywhere else in the world.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-04-12 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-04-12, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Given Rome's notorious traffic-jams, difficult parking, aggressive drivers, the price of fuel in Italy, and the country's worsening economic situation (though still not as bad as nearby Greece or Portugal), I don't find it surprising at all that more Italians are buying bikes and/or motor-scooters, especially in the cities.
Old 10-04-12, 04:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Obviously the economy in Europe is in the toilet, thus lowering car sales.

But I think there is going to be a future trend of Europeans ditching their existing cars, much less buying expensive new ones. The governments tax the ever living hell out of car owners, not just in gasoline taxes. I'm talking about sales tax when you buy the car, inspection taxes, some countries charge you a yearly tax based on the value of the car. Insurance rates are A LOT higher there than here. Not to mention the very rigorous yearly inspection standards for cars over there, I'd bet about 1/5 of the cars on the road in the US would fail an inspection in Europe.

Just saying it is HIDEOUSLY EXPENSIVE to own a car in Europe compared to anywhere else in the world.
a lot more than 1/5... when I had my car "inspected" in Seattle, they only checked emissions... I had big hole in the back from car hitting me and i got my sticker :-)
Old 10-04-12, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The governments tax the ever living hell out of car owners, not just in gasoline taxes. I'm talking about sales tax when you buy the car, inspection taxes, some countries charge you a yearly tax based on the value of the car.
A friend of mine, who just got back from London, told me yesterday that the British national sales tax on a new car is some 20%.

(In the state of Virginia, where I live, it is 3% on a new car and 4% on a used one. We do have a yearly property-tax on the car's assessed value, but it is rather low, and generally not a major issue)

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-04-12 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-04-12, 06:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Nice pic

I'd sell my car to ride around with her.
Old 10-04-12, 06:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nice pic

I'd sell my car to ride around with her.
Haha, you must've never dated an Italian.

Me, never again.
Old 10-04-12, 06:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

oh my goodness, I'd absolutely ruin her!
Old 10-05-12, 10:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More often than not, a BMW car costs more in Germany (home country) than in America, for example

Go figure xD
Old 10-05-12, 10:15 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Vespas of the '50's and '60's, if the streets of Rome and Naples were any indication, came factory equipped with a pouty, leggy brunette model seated sidesaddle on the rear seat, adjusting her makeup. Pretty incredible balancing act as her "chauffeur" (boyfiend, stylist, whatever) wove in and out of traffic that she never seemed to acknowledge. Yeah, I would have accepted a Vespa as an acceptable trade for that.

Old 10-05-12, 10:43 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A friend of mine, who just got back from London, told me yesterday that the British national sales tax on a new car is some 20%.
I remember when it was worse - 10% new car tax +15% VAT - they srcapped the car tax but VAT has crept up to 20%. That said you can get 20% discount off most mainstream cars if you haggle.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

(In the state of Virginia, where I live, it is 3% on a new car and 4% on a used one. We do have a yearly property-tax on the car's assessed value, but it is rather low, and generally not a major issue)
In the UK there is an annual road tax based on emissions but most new cars fall into the sub $100 a year bracket. My wife's FIAT costs $45 a year to tax and $300 a year to insure fully comprehensive.

Once a car is 3 years old it requires an annual inspection that costs a maximum of £85 - though most garages offer this discounted or even free, hoping to get any rectification work needed. So, other than the cost of fuel, which you can't do anything about, it need not be horrendously expensive to run a car.
Old 10-05-12, 10:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^
Also don't forget that London has a congestion charge (courtesy of former Mayor Ken Livingstone)....
Old 10-05-12, 11:04 AM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would you go on a date on a bicycle?
Old 10-05-12, 11:36 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
^^
Also don't forget that London has a congestion charge (courtesy of former Mayor Ken Livingstone)....
Like 95% of the country I don't live in London but if I did I'd drive a Toyota hybrid and not have to pay it.

Quick Reply: Italians buy more bikes than cars for the first time since WWII