Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

gas prices spiking in california

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 06:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
But you can compare commodities to other commodities. Many of us shop at Costco because they're cheaper than other stores, and we get commodities like food and cleaning supplies there. Costco is the cheaper option because they cap their margin at 15%. Tell me again why 13.6% is evil?
ummm, because Costco is a retail store.
Old 10-05-12, 06:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Another excuse is they are switching over to the winter formula.
according to the story, it's the summer blend that's harder to make so they want to move over to the winter blend earlier, but don't let the facts stop you.

Tomorrow, my neighbor will sneeze and prices will go up another 50 cents. In the meantime, all the gas shipped to the pumps yesterday at the lower price will cost more to the consumer tomorrow and the oil companies will increase their profits even more. Yep, that's fair alright.
lol. again, read the story. the gas stations buy the gas. they sell as whatever price they have to. so if gas went up over night that would affect the next incoming shipment. gas stations might increase price ahead of the next shipment either due to concerns about availability or worry about the next price (they don't know i don't believe until they get it) in a sort of hedge. this isn't the grand conspiracy you believe it is.

Yes Mr. Obama, everything is juuuuust fine and we certainly are better off today paying $4.80/gal than we were four years ago. Thanks for going to bat for us while we cancel our weekend plans.
now it's true he certainly did not go to bat for us! he'd rather 'pump' billions of our money into failed solar company companies like solyndra and block off-shore drilling and other exploration.
Old 10-05-12, 06:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Here in Miami, I paid about $4.19 for Premium for my RX300 and about $3.89 for regular for our 06 4Runner V8.
Old 10-05-12, 06:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
So then if oil companies are operating on 13.6% profit margin, would you explain to me how were they able to make money when gas was sold for $1.50 a gallon?
oil is just the commodity part (with the biggest variance in cost) - the other cost include refining, transportation, taxes, gas station profit, etc. the underlying cost of oil though, plus supply/demand are probably the biggest factors, but refiners do well no matter what the price of crude oil is unless they have problems or regulators make their life hell (as they do, especially in california).

also, that $1.50 was worth more then than $1.50 today (weakened dollar).

Back around 2004-2005, when gas went from $1.50 to $3.50, you seriously believe oil companies profit margin stayed the same?
no, but i believe a lot of that extra money goes to the countries that produce that oil, not 'oil companies' themselves.

Costco is the cheaper option because they cap their margin at 15%. Tell me again why 13.6% is evil?
good point. costco's model is different though, as they also make billions from their membership dues.
Old 10-05-12, 06:32 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I drive lots of miles and this is crucial. Here in Nebraska MidGrade is $3.65 while Premium is $3.90 - $4.00 per gallon.
Old 10-05-12, 06:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Back around 2004-2005, when gas went from $1.50 to $3.50, you seriously believe oil companies profit margin stayed the same?
True, they didn't, BP, for example, saw its net profit margin soar from 9% to......9%. Exxon Mobil did a bit better, going from 8.7% to 10.1%, while Shell fell in the middle, jumping a whopping 1.3% from 6.95% to 8.25%. Interestingly enough, the industry as a whole did better than any of the big 3, going from 7.58% to 10.48%, implying that it's the SMALL producers and refiners that are engaging in these "evil profitability" tactics.
Old 10-05-12, 06:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
ummm, because Costco is a retail store.
Ok so producers and distributors of products can't be compared because they're not the same product, and other types of business can't be compared because they're not the same business. I give up. Oil companies can only be compared to oil companies (benchmarking is apparently a humungous waste of time for all businesses, yet some of the most successful for some reason keep doing it), and their profits are excessive if someone on the internet deems them so.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good point. costco's model is different though, as they also make billions from their membership dues.
This makes them MORE evil, doesn't it? I mean they're raking in cash ON TOP OF an "excessively high" profit margin on product sales!

Last edited by geko29; 10-05-12 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 06:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you rate the gasoline prices in terms of Constitutional money like what we had pre 1965 in the 90% silver US coinage, gasoline is actually the cheapest its been in our nations history. What happened? The value of the USD tanked, thats what happened. Gasoline back in the 1960s was about 25c a gallon. Mind you that quarter was 90% silver and in todays money that quarter is worth $6.28 in melt. So with gas around $3.50-4 today that means gas is around 15c in constitutional money. Almost 50% cheaper than what it was in the 1960s for obvious reasons, technological advancements since the 1960s has enabled greater productivity despite all the problems this country has. Heck if we had truly stayed free market then it would be even cheaper than 15c.

I know this is a little off topic but people need to see that gas is actually cheaper in other forms of money like gold and silver. Its the value of the USD that has tanked causing gas prices to rise

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-05-12 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 07:26 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

Gas is getting too expensive now. i remember paying $2.50 for premium two years ago and thinking that it was high. Now, unless I go to the hood, gas is around or above $4.00.
Old 10-05-12, 07:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i can imagine $10 gas in 2 years due to raging inflation.
Old 10-05-12, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

CA gas prices are often higher than in many other states. You can thank a number of factors for that (including CA fuel-taxes), but the main issue is CARB (California Air Resources Board). They go over and above even EPA requirements for refining low-emission, clean-burning gas, especially for seasonal use. The result is that oil-companies have to produce special fuels for the limited CA (and similiar-state) market that are simply not cost-effective for their limited-scale. Therefore, in those areas, they sell for more at both the wholesale and retail level.
Old 10-05-12, 08:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i can imagine $10 gas in 2 years due to raging inflation.
yep, especially if there's a REAL supply disruption.
Old 10-05-12, 08:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Gas is getting too expensive now. i remember paying $2.50 for premium two years ago and thinking that it was high. Now, unless I go to the hood, gas is around or above $4.00.
in the late 90s it was 99c for premium. Unfortunately a lot of money has been printed since then.
Old 10-05-12, 08:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
in the late 90s it was 99c for premium. Unfortunately a lot of money has been printed since then.
well price of gas is up in europe and everywhere around the world :-). I pay 80% more now than 3 years ago.
Old 10-05-12, 08:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

True, they didn't, BP, for example, saw its net profit margin soar from 9% to......9%. Exxon Mobil did a bit better, going from 8.7% to 10.1%, while Shell fell in the middle, jumping a whopping 1.3% from 6.95% to 8.25%. Interestingly enough, the industry as a whole did better than any of the big 3, going from 7.58% to 10.48%, implying that it's the SMALL producers and refiners that are engaging in these "evil profitability" tactics.
Ehm, 5 out of top 10 global most profitable companies are gas companies.

Petrol industry is #1 profitable industry in the world, a lot bigger than anything else.

So what exactly are you saying again?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...anies/profits/

Quick Reply: gas prices spiking in california