Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

gas prices spiking in california

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 08:58 AM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/oil-slips-post...053718613.html

Price per barrel falls, price at the pump continues on up.

We can rest assured that when gas goes up in 24 hours by 10's of percents, it takes weeks to fall, back to where it was-if it ever does.

This is so much crap, oil companies have us by the ***** and there is nothing we can do about it.

Going to take the motorcycle out today, that will teach those bastard oil companies a lesson!

Machog
Old 10-05-12, 09:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Machog
http://news.yahoo.com/oil-slips-post...053718613.html

Price per barrel falls, price at the pump continues on up.

We can rest assured that when gas goes up in 24 hours by 10's of percents, it takes weeks to fall, back to where it was-if it ever does.

This is so much crap, oil companies have us by the ***** and there is nothing we can do about it.

Going to take the motorcycle out today, that will teach those bastard oil companies a lesson!

Machog
i have a friend who was a top manager in oil company and this is exactly how they make money...
Old 10-05-12, 09:14 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

prices at Shell as of 7:30AM PST
Attached Thumbnails gas prices spiking in california-imag1293.jpg  
Old 10-05-12, 10:37 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
prices at Shell as of 7:30AM PST
im scared imma prob hit 70 when i fill up today.
Old 10-05-12, 10:44 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Thankful I have a 3.5 mile commute and even more thankful I can work from home regularly so I don't need to fill up often.
Old 10-05-12, 10:45 AM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Lucky I live in Kansas, the price here just went down from 3.91/gal to 3.83/gal (Premium at Philips66)

But just incase, I think I'm gonna fill up today....
Old 10-05-12, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by norapat01
Lucky I live in Kansas, the price here just went down from 3.91/gal to 3.83/gal (Premium at Philips66)

But just incase, I think I'm gonna fill up today....
feel good now, cuz you won't feel good when it's $7 there and $8 in cali.
Old 10-05-12, 11:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GS wanted
Thankful I have a 3.5 mile commute and even more thankful I can work from home regularly so I don't need to fill up often.
yep for $115/mo I take the bus (about 80 RT) to work...I can walk or ride my bike to the Park & Ride 1 miles from my house. I'd rather pay that and be stress free rather than put 20K miles a year on my vehicle commuting...I would be paying about $300/mo in gas (@ $3.50 gal) to drive in everyday.

meanwhile in Calabasas, CA....

http://www.contracostatimes.com/cali...northridge-and

Last edited by bagwell; 10-05-12 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 11:59 AM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
feel good now, cuz you won't feel good when it's $7 there and $8 in cali.
I not feeling good seeing such thing happen. If it happen in CA, the same thing could happens anywhere in the US. I just hope that this situation is just temporary, usually the gas price will drops quite a bit around election time. This price went up, a lot, like this due to some mishap at refineries is kind of weird.
Old 10-05-12, 01:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE=bitkahuna
lol. again, read the story. the gas stations buy the gas. they sell as whatever price they have to. so if gas went up over night that would affect the next incoming shipment. gas stations might increase price ahead of the next shipment either due to concerns about availability or worry about the next price (they don't know i don't believe until they get it) in a sort of hedge. this isn't the grand conspiracy you believe it is.
.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday, gas prices at my local station went up three times. They had no new deliveries during this period. That means the fuel in their tanks was bought at the original lower price, but sold at the higher price. Someone is taking in extra profits somewhere via that process. That is double-dipping, and how oil companies have done it for years now.
Even worse, there will be ten increases in price for a particular shortage rumor (not a real shortage), but ony two decreases in price once the rumor is gone. End result, a higher constant price that never goes back down to where it was before the rumor started. This is great for setting up a new longterm high price that we get used to and are supposed to accept.
Old 10-05-12, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually some stations they decided to just shut everything down and "wait" for the prices to go up more first before opening them up again
Old 10-05-12, 04:24 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Ehm, 5 out of top 10 global most profitable companies are gas companies.

Petrol industry is #1 profitable industry in the world, a lot bigger than anything else.

So what exactly are you saying again?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...anies/profits/
You said it, not me. So let me get this straight. First they're evil because their profit margin is too high, despite being lower than many other revered businesses. Or if that's not right, they're evil because they're large. So how big is a company permitted to be in your world before it becomes evil? Because it seems you have NO problem with the other companies on that list that make similar or more profit off of substantially LESS revenue.

Put this in perspective--the most profitable of all the oil companies, Exxon Mobil, made 41B in profit off of 453B in revenue, or 9%. Ford's profit margin is nearly double this, Intel's, Apple's and Google's are nearly triple, and I don't see you decrying them. So obviously profit margin isn't the thing you're upset about (now that it's been shown to be lower than most other industries), its size (revenue). So how big is too big? At what size does a company automatically become evil?
Old 10-05-12, 04:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
You said it, not me. So let me get this straight. First they're evil because their profit margin is too high, despite being lower than many other revered businesses. Or if that's not right, they're evil because they're large. So how big is a company permitted to be in your world before it becomes evil? Because it seems you have NO problem with the other companies on that list that make similar or more profit off of substantially LESS revenue.

Put this in perspective--the most profitable of all the oil companies, Exxon Mobil, made 41B in profit off of 453B in revenue, or 9%. Ford's profit margin is nearly double this, Intel's, Apple's and Google's are nearly triple, and I don't see you decrying them. So obviously profit margin isn't the thing you're upset about (now that it's been shown to be lower than most other industries), its size (revenue). So how big is too big? At what size does a company automatically become evil?
I cant believe you are defending big oil.

EVERY BIG OIL company makes HUGE PROFITS:

OIL AS AN INDUSTRY IS MOST PROFITABLE OF THEM ALL.

Lets put it this way - Ford made a lot of money last year, they will make 4x less this year. For every Volkswagen in car industry, there is Mitsibushi and Mazda that lose money.

For every Google, there is Yahoo.

For every Microsoft, there are thousands of failed startups.

But no, every oil company makes huge profits.

As an industry, they are THE most profitable industry of them all.

And they sell commodity.
Old 10-05-12, 05:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

this thing is not the oil companies fault, its californias loony *** laws that require some proprietary fuel blend that no other state makes. Guess what happens when the local refineries have trouble. Cali's own laws get in the way of efficiently supplying that state of gasoline. You know whats funny other states are able to help supply California but they are not allowed to sell their gas in Cali because they dont have the special blend. LOL what a joke
Old 10-05-12, 05:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Ok so producers and distributors of products can't be compared because they're not the same product, and other types of business can't be compared because they're not the same business. I give up. Oil companies can only be compared to oil companies (benchmarking is apparently a humungous waste of time for all businesses, yet some of the most successful for some reason keep doing it), and their profits are excessive if someone on the internet deems them so.

why don't you compare them to power co's or electricity providers?

Quick Reply: gas prices spiking in california