Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: WTF? No Lexus?
I don't want to live on this planet anymore
9.21%
You clearly are posting on the same crack Acura designers are on
9.21%
Join the darkside (enter what brand you think is darkside)
10.53%
Get a fully loaded Goat
15.79%
I am the player hater of the year and I hate you and your guts 1sick
10.53%
Good luck, time for a change!
19.74%
Group Buy on the LFA? We get 10 people to chip in on one LFA?
25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

The Mayans were right...world is ending....car shopping...likely not gonna be a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 10:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

given 1sicklex love of coupes and being a big guy, i'd say a german sport coupe (mb cl, 6 series, s5)
Old 10-14-12, 11:24 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I saw your post of FT86club, a BRZ seems like it could be in your future.
Old 10-14-12, 12:06 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Go S5 or S6.
Old 10-14-12, 01:10 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha I also saw your post on ft86 club.

There are like 5 BRZs at my local Subaru dealership.
Old 10-14-12, 02:10 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

Get the legendary MKIV Supra TT!

If that's too old, the Cadillac XLR, CL600, SL600, and the new 6 Series BMW are great choices.
Old 10-14-12, 05:47 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Ford Focus ST!

Old 10-14-12, 05:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Go S5 or S6.
I agree with this... Definitely a flashy and Sporty car...
Old 10-14-12, 06:08 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Noble M12GT
Old 10-15-12, 04:07 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks everyone... some more thoughts
-must be auto
-must fit 19/20" wheels
-really thinking of doing something sporting. GSh is staying put.
-pretty sure going back to white/black interior
-I am feeling "American" something my pops and I talked about...
-Kind of want a coupe. On the other hand this car will be in another city so I might need it to be larger for guests
-Leaning towards new. Always had great luck with Lexus CPO...but if its an amazing car I can go CPO or 2nd hand.
-must be able to be modified. Must have a sizeable aftermarket.
- car will not be driven often so MPG isn't a worry

So far here is my list in no particular order, new and used
Audi S5
Audi S4
Acura ILX the clear front runner
BMW F30 335
3 series active hybrid
BMW new 6 copue or GT coupe
Previous gen M5/M6
F10 535
Infiniti M37 or M56s
Caddy CTS Wagon
Maser Quatrroporte
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 or 3.8
Porsche Boxster S new
Porsche Cayman S
Porsche 911 S 996/997
Cayenne GTS previous gen (said no SUVs, but I love this bloody thing)
Chevy Vette/Z06
2013+ Mustang GT/Boss
Chevy Camaro SS
Scion FRS
Subie BRZ
Lexus IS F
Lexus ES 300h
Mecedes C63 sedan
Honda CR-Z
Dodge Viper (thanks Josh)

To be honest it's a lot to take in. Usually I have my mind set on a Lexus and thats that and I have a dealer I trust and thats that. So this will require calling around for introductions for new dealers and completely new experiences.

BMW/Infiniiti leases are super attractive. Its amazing the car you can lease with them. I love the Camaro SS and Ford Mustang. I prefer the Mustang's interior and options but the Camaro's looks.

The Hyundai Gen coupe is an amazing value, the new front end just is tough to swallow. I like that you can get Brembo's with some packages.

I just drove a 2012 IS F (I SHOULD NOT HAVE) and it is utterly better than the 2008s I've driven. The suspension is totally better.

Like most here, always been a fan of the S5.

Wife loves Maser's. But Masers need $$$$$ to keep running. Not sure I'm ready for all that, I'm already married.

Porsche's are the same. I always said if I did it, I wouldn't worry about maintaining/fixing it, I'd just laugh at it. I would not be laughing today. But egads they are a dream car. On the other hand my local shop will take care of me.

Same with BMW M5/M6. Local shop Buckhead Import Performance will take care of maintenance.

Same with E63. But you know driving tons of new cars, you notice that the old cars simply lack the tech of the new models.

I actually have experience with a LHD F30 when I was in Jamaica. The styling grew on me and its a very comfy size since it grew again .The F10 is downright huge in comparison but who doesn't like more space?

FRS/BRZ I am feeling but again packages and availability are nuts. I fit fine but its very small for 4 and 200hp might get old fast.

The Infiniit is a darkhorse b/c its rare and leases cheap. They are about to revise it though.
Hey Mike, you've got a big list there! I'm kind of the same way; as a car guy, I can't help but like a whole lot of cars.

It looks to me like the prospective choices are mostly on the sporty side. That makes a lot of sense since you've got the GSh as an alternative.

You know, I really like the FRS/BRZ. And you know there will be more aftermarket support for that car than any other, and it's truly a car guy's toy. However, I wouldn't want to buy one this year, or at least not the BRZ (unless you can somehow get a good deal on one). Perhaps the SoCal market is particularly tough for these cars, but I've even seen FRS's with mark ups or ridiculously priced aftermarket add ons for dealer profit. It's nonsense. But given what you do, it does seem like a fitting choice.

As far as going American, I don't know. That'll be like the exact opposite of the FRS/BRZ: heavy, fast (with unusable power on the street), and less aftermarket support apart from additional go fast mods. Maybe I'm biased, but there are few American cars that I connect with emotionally. I've always thought about getting a Jeep SRT8 and supercharging it, but then I think I might as well do that to a Crewmax Tundra.

The S4 and S5 sound good, as long as it's the 3.0T. I didn't like the S5 V8; despite the numbers, it feels slow and heavy. 997's are a good choice too, as is the Cayenne GTS (the old ones are still great cars). Out of the sedans, I like the previous gen M5 for you over the ISF and C63 because you're a big guy...

Anyways, good luck! Sounds like a great list. Well, except for the ES300h and CR-Z.
Old 10-15-12, 04:14 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 813 Likes on 567 Posts

Little late to this thread - steal rominl's NSX
Old 10-15-12, 04:24 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Oh yeah, let me throw in a rec:

CL63

I test drove one around downtown LA, and it's a fast car. The dealership let me take it without a salesman in the car, and when I got back they told me that neighbors nearby complained about a test driver tearing down the streets. It didn't feel that fast though because it's a smooth ride.

Plus I always like how there's no pillar with all the windows down:

Old 10-17-12, 07:03 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must have written this up a few times before not posting it. To make a long story short I'm car shopping for something to add and it likely won't be a Lexus and I honestly am all over the map from vehicles to prices.

I simply am a "free agent" right now.

I've driven so many vehicles the last few months I can't even begin to do long reviews from stock to modded from econo cars to exotics.

Most luxury brands are in the mix, non luxury brands, wagons, 2 seaters, etc. I have no flaming idea at this point. No SUVs though since the wife has one.

Must be an auto so wife can drive and others can take for a spin. My logical side wants utility but my growing "**** it" side says go for a sporty car.

Buying or leasing new or buying used. Not sure. 20-80k price range.

There will ALWAYS be a Lexus in my garage but after 16 years I think its time to change it up.
I'd wait on the M3/M4 twins and make your decision then. Should be an amazing car and get DCT. There will also be an M4 Gran Coupe akin to the M6 Gran coupe, I imagine it will be a bit swankier
Old 10-17-12, 07:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche's are the same. I always said if I did it, I wouldn't worry about maintaining/fixing it, I'd just laugh at it. I would not be laughing today. .
just get one that's CPO'd.
Old 10-17-12, 09:39 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

gran coupe is the way to go bro
Old 10-18-12, 12:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks everyone... some more thoughts
-must be auto
-must fit 19/20" wheels
-really thinking of doing something sporting. GSh is staying put.
-pretty sure going back to white/black interior
-I am feeling "American" something my pops and I talked about...
-Kind of want a coupe. On the other hand this car will be in another city so I might need it to be larger for guests
-Leaning towards new. Always had great luck with Lexus CPO...but if its an amazing car I can go CPO or 2nd hand.
-must be able to be modified. Must have a sizeable aftermarket.
- car will not be driven often so MPG isn't a worry

So far here is my list in no particular order, new and used
Audi S5
Audi S4
Acura ILX the clear front runner
BMW F30 335
3 series active hybrid
BMW new 6 copue or GT coupe
Previous gen M5/M6
F10 535
Infiniti M37 or M56s
Caddy CTS Wagon
Maser Quatrroporte
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 or 3.8
Porsche Boxster S new
Porsche Cayman S
Porsche 911 S 996/997
Cayenne GTS previous gen (said no SUVs, but I love this bloody thing)
Chevy Vette/Z06
2013+ Mustang GT/Boss
Chevy Camaro SS
Scion FRS
Subie BRZ
Lexus IS F
Lexus ES 300h
Mecedes C63 sedan
Honda CR-Z
Dodge Viper (thanks Josh)

To be honest it's a lot to take in. Usually I have my mind set on a Lexus and thats that and I have a dealer I trust and thats that. So this will require calling around for introductions for new dealers and completely new experiences.

BMW/Infiniiti leases are super attractive. Its amazing the car you can lease with them. I love the Camaro SS and Ford Mustang. I prefer the Mustang's interior and options but the Camaro's looks.

The Hyundai Gen coupe is an amazing value, the new front end just is tough to swallow. I like that you can get Brembo's with some packages.

I just drove a 2012 IS F (I SHOULD NOT HAVE) and it is utterly better than the 2008s I've driven. The suspension is totally better.

Like most here, always been a fan of the S5.

Wife loves Maser's. But Masers need $$$$$ to keep running. Not sure I'm ready for all that, I'm already married.

Porsche's are the same. I always said if I did it, I wouldn't worry about maintaining/fixing it, I'd just laugh at it. I would not be laughing today. But egads they are a dream car. On the other hand my local shop will take care of me.

Same with BMW M5/M6. Local shop Buckhead Import Performance will take care of maintenance.

Same with E63. But you know driving tons of new cars, you notice that the old cars simply lack the tech of the new models.

I actually have experience with a LHD F30 when I was in Jamaica. The styling grew on me and its a very comfy size since it grew again .The F10 is downright huge in comparison but who doesn't like more space?

FRS/BRZ I am feeling but again packages and availability are nuts. I fit fine but its very small for 4 and 200hp might get old fast.

The Infiniit is a darkhorse b/c its rare and leases cheap. They are about to revise it though.
Awesome, I can see you are really narrowing it down your choices, you listed just about every cars ever made from ALL categories except motor coaches.

You want auto only but listed the manual only Z06 and Viper, but I guess you can always swap in an auto box.

May I suggest a Lamborghini LM002 with automatic tranny swap? You can fit 30" wheels on that. The Countach's V12 is sick!

Last edited by BNR34; 10-18-12 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: The Mayans were right...world is ending....car shopping...likely not gonna be a Lexus