Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports finds flaw with Lexus ES, GS emergency trunk safety release, alerts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-12, 05:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I honestly cannot picture such a scenario happening.

I think Consumer Reports needed to sell a few publications and this "Lexus issue" was the perfect chance to create buzz.
CR is utter crap. So what, the latch breaks when pulled a certain way.
Old 10-12-12, 06:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

I think Consumer Reports needed to sell a few publications and this "Lexus issue" was the perfect chance to create buzz.
what happened was that one CR staff writer wanted to show his kids the latch and he locked them in the trunk and kids (probably in panic), broke it.

i mean i dont know why is there such law, and they shouldnt break even if you pull hard (and he did pull hard to break it in the video, it is thin strip of flourescent plastic tied to the chain/rope), but dear lord, I would never imagine locking my kids in the trunk for fun.
Old 10-12-12, 07:44 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Even though I agree with all of you, this actually happened last summer unfortunately. Two kids that were playing got trapped in the trunk of a car and died. I don't remember what kind of car it was but it is a likely scenario.

Last edited by jat0223; 10-12-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-13-12, 11:10 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It does look like a pretty cheap lever though.
Old 10-13-12, 11:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jat0223
Even though I agree with all of you, this actually happened last summer unfortunately. Two kids that were playing got trapped in the trunk of a car and died. I don't remember what kind of car it was but it is a likely scenario.
first of all, it is parents fault, 2nd of all, how do you die in the trunk? Trunk is not air proof...
Old 10-13-12, 12:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

zomg, cars have a giant container of explosive and highly flammable liquid too.
Old 10-13-12, 01:31 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
first of all, it is parents fault, 2nd of all, how do you die in the trunk? Trunk is not air proof...
This link will make you a bit more informed.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14049363

As I mentioned before I agree with what you guys are saying, but it's still a likely scenario nonetheless.

Last edited by jat0223; 10-13-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-13-12, 01:36 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even my kids pointed out the flimsy handle. Bad job for Lexus.
Old 10-13-12, 01:45 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did the kids have the keys to the car or was it left unlocked Kids should be properly supervised even when playing? Anyways if they have to have it fine, quick fix but its not a deal breaker or a concern for me at all. I like to have the people I throw in the trunk stay there.
Old 10-13-12, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

This link will make you a bit more informed.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14049363

As I mentioned before I agree with what you guys are saying, but it's still a likely scenario nonetheless.
i understand what you are saying but there are so many other ways for kids to have accident, other than a trunk... i can tell you right now, my kids are not going to get stuck in the trunk ever, because they are not allowed to play there.
Old 10-13-12, 03:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Can't see why kids would want to play in the trunk. The only time I'm in my trunk is when I'm working on my audio system. My 2GS does not have one of those latches, so I have to manually close the latch so if the truck lid does ever fall down, it can't close at all.
Old 10-13-12, 04:35 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
i understand what you are saying but there are so many other ways for kids to have accident, other than a trunk... i can tell you right now, my kids are not going to get stuck in the trunk ever, because they are not allowed to play there.
And I understand what you are saying as well. I'm not disagreeing with anyone here. I'm just responding to the person that said that he/she couldn't picture this scenario happening with proof that it has happened before unfortunately. Actually, according to this article, cars have had these safety latches since 2000 because before that this scenario was quite common.
Old 10-13-12, 06:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would anyone need to escape from the trunk in an emergency in the first place? I believe that on all Lexus sedans you cannot fold down the rear seats anyway, so if someone should for whatever reason get stuck inside their Lexus, they simply need to smash the window out in order to exit the vehicle.
A few years ago a drug deal went bad. They kidnapped the guy and stuffed him in the trunk. When the vehicle came to a stop the kidnapped guy pulled the trunk release cable and was able to escape the locked trunk and ran down the road only to be shot multiple times in the back and killed in the middle of the road. That said, at least he was able to escape the trunk via the emergency release handle.
Old 10-13-12, 06:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Can't see why kids would want to play in the trunk. The only time I'm in my trunk is when I'm working on my audio system. My 2GS does not have one of those latches, so I have to manually close the latch so if the truck lid does ever fall down, it can't close at all.
especially sedan... if your kid gets locked in the GS350 trunk, i would call social services because you cant handle the kids.
Old 10-13-12, 08:11 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to North America, where people cannot or will not take responsibility for their own actions, instead demanding the government do so. This has given us the Interior Trunk Release and other “save me from myself” devices.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Interior Trunk Release

A Rule by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on 10/20/2000

Summary
This document establishes new Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) No. 401; Internal trunk release, that requires all new passenger cars with trunks be equipped with a release latch inside the trunk compartment beginning September 1, 2001. Instead of a release latch, this document also permits the installation of an alternative system such as a passive trunk release system which would detect the presence of a human in the trunk and would automatically unlatch the trunk lid. During the summer of 1998, eleven children died when they inadvertently trapped themselves in the trunk of a car. This new standard will provide children and others who find themselves trapped inside a passenger car trunk a chance to get out of the trunk alive.
Source: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2000/10/20/00-27038/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-interior-trunk-release

It has also given us, in the past…

Motorized seat belts to save those people who refused to take responsibility for their own safety behind the wheel and were getting killed in car accidents – hitting hard objects in the car and/or getting thrown from the car.

Extremely fast-inflating and extremely powerful airbags to catch unbelted drivers before they hit the steering wheel took over from the hated motorized seat belt. It had the misfortune of causing injury because it was too powerful, especially to those who sit too close to the airbag.

Complicated variable-speed, variable-power airbags to prevent some of those airbag injuries saved us from the all-too-powerful airbags. Now there are complaints that these airbags may not inflate in certain circumstances.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports finds flaw with Lexus ES, GS emergency trunk safety release, alerts