Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

6 hours of Fuji; Toyota TS030 Hybrid (Shanghai win!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 03:46 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations to Toyota WEC on another win this time in Shanghai!

Can't wait till 2013!!!
Old 10-28-12, 08:10 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully the penny pinchers give them a bigger budget so they can run 2 cars next season.
Old 10-28-12, 10:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Exciting news! Another huge win for Toyota! Thanks for the update.

Toyota scored its third FIA World Endurance Championship victory of the year in what was another commanding performance by the Japanese manufacturer in the Six Hours of Shanghai.

The No. 7 Toyota TS030 Hybrid of Alex Wurz and Nicolas Lapierre ran like clockwork in Sunday's season-ender, taking a 58.570-second victory over the pair of Audi R18 e-tron quattros, which were unable to match the pace or tire longevity of the gasoline-powered hybrid yet again.

“Maybe it looked easy on TV but Nicolas and I gave it everything," Wurz said. "These races are never simple but we were very determined to win this race for Toyota and give everyone extra motivation over the winter.

"I really enjoyed it today and I couldn’t wish for a better team-mate, although of course we missed Kazuki this weekend. It has been a terrific season for us."

While the No. 2 Audi of Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen came home in second, it was their teammates Andre Lotterer, Benoit Treluyer and Marcel Fassler that were crowned World Champions, thanks to their third place result.

"It was not easy today but we were not under so much pressure," Lotterer admitted. "We had a good season all the way through, so we came here with some points advantage.

"We had two options. In case we were competitive, go for the victory and try to beat the Toyota. But that was not an option today. I was just careful of driving the car home because that's what mattered for us."

The drivers' title completed a banner year for Audi, which won the 24 Hours of Le Mans and also clinched the Manufacturers' World Championship four races early.

Rebellion Racing capped off a memorable three-week stretch by leading the charge for the LMP1 privateers for the second consecutive race.

However, it was the Anglo-Swiss squad's No. 13 Lola B12/60 Toyota of Andrea Belicchi Harold Primat and local driver "Frankie" Cong Fu Chen that took fourth overall after the sister car of Nicolas Prost lost drive with less than 10 minutes remaining.

The DNF for Petit Le Mans winners Prost and Neel Jani ended up being costly, as they lost third in the Drivers' World Championship to Toyota's Wurz and Lapierre. It came despite the Toyota duo missing the first two rounds of the season and not finishing at Le Mans.

LMP2 saw ADR-Delta take its second consecutive class victory, thanks to an equally flawless run by the No. 25 Oreca 03 Nissan of John Martin, Tor Graves and Mathias Beche.

Martin crossed the line less than 40 seconds ahead of the No. 44 Starworks Motorsport HPD ARX-03b of Stephane Sarrazin, which made an additional pit stop early due to a puncture for the Frenchman.

Sarrazin clawed back nearly one minute in the closing hours, yet it wasn't enough to give the American squad the victory.

"The team has done an amazing job all year," race winner Martin said. "We had a few little issues in Brazil and Bahrain. Had it not been that, I felt like we could have pushed Starworks really hard for the championship.

"It's good to get second [in the championship]. That was our sole aim, really, this weekend... We had a strategy from the start and stuck to it all day."

Starworks, which capped off a remarkable season with its seventh podium in eight races, which included class wins at Sebring and Le Mans and the LMP2 championship.

The final podium position in LMP2 went to the No. 24 OAK Racing Morgan-Nissan of Olivier Pla, Matthieu Lahaye and Jacques Nicolet, which saw the French team go winless in the FIA WEC this year.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ai-wec-finale/
Old 10-28-12, 11:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Toyota's press release. They took 3 poles and 3 wins in 6 races. So they won half the time. If they do that next season that will definitely crown them champions.
Old 10-29-12, 01:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

it wouldnt be bad if someone else joins WEC, this is a bit boring with 3 cars (4 in the future) fighting for the win :-)
Old 10-29-12, 03:45 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
it wouldn't be bad if someone else joins WEC, this is a bit boring with 3 cars (4 in the future) fighting for the win :-)
Isn't Peugeot coming back in 2013? I remember hearing something like that when they left.

I would love Honda to join that would be some badazz competition then but again rumors are they are getting ready to supply McLaren F1 team with engines for 2014 and up.

LMP1 is Porsche's natural habitat and they would be very competitive for sure, but don't know how that would make sense and most likely it will never ever happen.
Besides Porsche/Peugeot/Renault the only other euro manufacturer I could see to run in LMP1 battle is Mercedes, again that is strictly my speculation based on previous manufacturer's race interests and experiences.
Old 10-29-12, 04:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
Isn't Peugeot coming back in 2013? I remember hearing something like that when they left.

I would love Honda to join that would be some badazz competition then but again rumors are they are getting ready to supply McLaren F1 team with engines for 2014 and up.

LMP1 is Porsche's natural habitat and they would be very competitive for sure, but don't know how that would make sense and most likely it will never ever happen.
Besides Porsche/Peugeot/Renault the only other euro manufacturer I could see to run in LMP1 battle is Mercedes, again that is strictly my speculation based on previous manufacturer's race interests and experiences.
Peugeot said that they might return one day, but with so many problems, i doubt it... they are losing money fast and future of the company is in doubt... Porsche is part of VAG now, so I doubt they will compete with Audi.

Mercedes and Renault are in F1, so makes little sense for them to do WEC.
Old 10-29-12, 04:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

there are some new rules in 2014 that will allow privateers to compete in LMP1, basically letting them compete with lighter cars so they are similar performance wise.

During the 6 Hours of Fuji weekend at Fuji International Speedway Vincent Beaumesnil, Sport Director of the ACO, Bernard Niclot, the FIA Technical Director, Denis Chevrier, the FIA WEC Technical Delegate and Daniel PERDRIX, the ACO Technical Delegate, made some clarifications on the LMP1 regulations that will be introduced in 2014 and the future vision for the LMP2 and GTE categories.

LMP1 2014
The LMP1 power train main concept is currently based on performance and from 2014 it will based on efficiency and fuel consumption but without affecting the competitiveness of the racing.

2012 power train
– Power restricted by air limitation (restrictor, boost) and engine capacity
– Fuel unlimited
– Hybrid systems limited, contribution on performance, not on fuel consumption

2014 power train
– Power restricted by fuel flow
– No limit in air restrictor, boost pressure and engine capacity
– Instant fuel flow is controlled, not global amount of fuel : no strategy in fuel economy, cars and drivers must go at full performance
– Amount of energy (fuel) adjusted vs Hybrid system power
– All other new technology is potentially eligible under the condition it can be controlled, balanced, and road relevant (ex : electric car, hydrogen, 2 stroke engine)

In 2014 the most efficient power train will be the most competitive. The bigger the hybrid system is, the lower fuel consumption will be.

Protection of LMP1 Privateers
Technical rules are the same for all cars. There is currently no opportunity for privateers to compete with high budget cars built by manufacturers.

A technical rule dedicated to privateers
- No expensive hybrid system
– Amount of energy (fuel) adjusted to be competitive
– Reasonable reduction of weight for accessible performance
Manufacturers and privateers will compete in the same category (LMP1) for overall win of races
– Manufacturers will enter Manufacturer’s FIA World Endurance Championship
– Privateers will enter FIA Endurance Trophy for LMP1 Privateers

LMP1 privateers will be protected by a technical regulation dedicated to them . Performance at a lower cost and lower level of technology
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/lmp1-2...d-gte_741.html
Old 11-08-12, 10:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely amazing! Consider that before this year, Toyota had not won an international FIA WEC race in 20 years, and now this year, on a limited budget and their first year back to prototype racing in many years, they score 3 victories against the Audi juggernaut.

Amazing work, and can't wait to see what they achieve next year!
Old 11-08-12, 11:00 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I think they're a lot more advanced in knowledge now, for racing series such as this. The TMG facilities are probably the best in the business. So good in fact, that Ferrari F1 uses their windtunnel because their own isn't giving them the results they want. It's not just Ferrari that uses their facilities either.
Old 11-08-12, 11:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
I think they're a lot more advanced in knowledge now, for racing series such as this. The TMG facilities are probably the best in the business. So good in fact, that Ferrari F1 uses their windtunnel because their own isn't giving them the results they want. It's not just Ferrari that uses their facilities either.
Yup definitely . They've learned a lot since the 90s, and the TS010 and TS020. Their F1 experience I think has also helped them a great deal in just overall racing experience. Not to mention, the several years now that they've been participating in the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, each year rotating different Toyota staff to strengthen their real world and technical skills in the complex high-paced environment of a 24 hour race.

I agree, the TMG facilities are likely the best in the business. It's a bit ironic Ferrari is using it, but nothing wrong with that as long as Ferrari doesn't steal or get access to any Toyota secrets. I'm personally still a bit pissed off that Ferrari poached some of Toyota's staff from their ex-F1 team, and even used some ideas and design elements from the never-raced TF110 car on their current-season F1 car.

I think this suits Toyota more as well, racing that is more closely relevant to production cars.
Old 11-09-12, 01:44 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yup definitely . They've learned a lot since the 90s, and the TS010 and TS020. Their F1 experience I think has also helped them a great deal in just overall racing experience. Not to mention, the several years now that they've been participating in the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, each year rotating different Toyota staff to strengthen their real world and technical skills in the complex high-paced environment of a 24 hour race.

I agree, the TMG facilities are likely the best in the business. It's a bit ironic Ferrari is using it, but nothing wrong with that as long as Ferrari doesn't steal or get access to any Toyota secrets. I'm personally still a bit pissed off that Ferrari poached some of Toyota's staff from their ex-F1 team, and even used some ideas and design elements from the never-raced TF110 car on their current-season F1 car.

I think this suits Toyota more as well, racing that is more closely relevant to production cars.
Ahh yeas infamous TF110. If Honda and Toyota had been patient for just one more year in F1 they would had been the ones fighting for 2009 championship. Financially maybe it was the good move but payoff of winning WDC would have been priceless for either Honda or Toyota.

Instead we got "Honda in disguise" Brawn GP killing the first half of the season.
Old 11-09-12, 12:34 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

The TF110 probably would have actually been the match for the Red Bull in 2010. In 2009 it was Toyota's TF109 towards the end of the season that was closest to the Red Bull. Like Suzuka, Brazil, Spa, Bahrain. From reading about the TF110 from a racecar engineering magazine, Pascal Vasselon said they increased downforce in the realm of 20-30 points. Here's a story about it http://www.autoevolution.com/news/to...tle-23701.html
“When we stopped the development, we had 20 to 30 points more downforce (with the new car) than the last version of its predecessor. We had far exceeded our goals, for even the TF109 was good enough for podiums,” added Toyota's technical director Pascal Vasselon in an interview with Auto Bild in Germany.

“Many of our aerodynamic people have changed to other top teams and we know that our downforce values were quite high.”

“I dare to suggest that we would have had the highest nose of all the current cars,” added Vasselon. “Only in this way would the diffuser operate perfectly. For the first race, we had an update package with the blown diffuser in the pipeline. So with Red Bull we would have been the first.”
What could have been, at least the TS030 is a legacy. In its first year beating Audi 3 times, and passing them on track at LeMans in their first race. By their 3rd race in Brazil, they LAPPED Audi. Bring on 2013.
Old 11-09-12, 12:39 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Pascal knows what he is doing! Glad he stayed with Toyota after all.
Old 11-09-12, 09:17 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

He used to be a high up guy at Michelin. So Toyota are really good on their tires as well. I wonder why!