Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Announces 2013 SUV Of The Year

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 07:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Trend Announces 2013 SUV Of The Year

2013 Motor Trend SUV of the Year: Mercedes-Benz GL
Higher and Mightier: Stuttgart’s Biggest Bruiser Recaptures Our SUV Gold

SUVs have changed. For the first time ever, we didn't have a single body-on-frame example in our annual SUV of the Year competition. Remember, when Bob Lutz and Stephen Ross cooked up the Ford Explorer -- the vehicle most responsible for cupiding America's still-raging love affair with the SUV -- it was little more than an enclosed, four-door Ranger. For our 2013 competition, the overwhelming majority of the competitors were car-based. However, there was one vehicle that wasn't, and in the words of Frank Markus, "did more of what we expect an SUV to do." That vehicle is the 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL. The flavor didn't matter. From the fuel-sipping, diesel-powered GL350 to the "how can this be the weaker of the two V-8s?" GL450 to the "3-ton objects should not move this quickly" 429-hp GL550, Mercedes has built an SUV that's better than the rest. Not just in its competitive class: The new, second-generation GL is the best new SUV on the market period, and the winner of our prize.

Going into our weeklong test, some of us (hi, Mom!) suspected that the massive Mercedes would be the one to beat. After all, the very closely related ML finished second to the Range Rover Evoque last year, and we've always liked the three-row GL more than its two-row sibling. Little did we realize just how badly the GL would bully the other 10 competitors. At the end of our testing, we'd narrowed the field down to three potential winners: the GL, the Ford Escape, and the Nissan Pathfinder. But in truth, it was no contest

Now, of course, there's a 900-pound gorilla (or, with the GL, a 5700-pound elephant) in the room: price. The GL never has been cheap. In December 2006, when we handed the first-gen GL our SUV of the Year calipers, the base price was $55,675. Five years later, the kitty has gone up: $63,305 is the price of admission to the "entry-level" GL350 Bluetec. Of course, the one we drove costs $87,500, a very pretty penny. Should you opt for gasoline propulsion, you'll need $64,805 at minimum. I say minimum because our GL450 showed up with an as-tested price tag of $94,265. Ahem. From there, things go stratospheric, with the GL550 starting at $88,485; the white monster we drove stickers for $108,310. Gulp. Oh, yeah, there's a GL63 AMG on the way. The price for that decadent, unnecessary luxury item? If you have to ask...

So, yes, the GL in all its forms ain't cheap. Until you start considering its segment. After all, the full-size, seven-passenger luxury SUV goes up against rivals like the Cadillac Escalade and the Infiniti QX56, both of which start -- like the Mercedes -- at just over $60,000. Then you've got big-money vehicles such as the Lexus LX, which begins life at more than $80,000. The Audi Q7 can be had for a lot less money (around $47,000 to start), but throw in an engine that competes with any of the three offered on the GL and tick a few option boxes, and you're in the same tax bracket as the much bigger Benz. The real point, however, is how totally and completely the new GL dominates this segment. Calling it best in class is the definition of an understatement. It's the best the class has ever seen.

Let's start with the interior. Both the GL450 and GL550 showed up with designo interiors -- Mercedes-speak for "up yours, Audi" -- and we were all wowed. Our very Midwestern Frank Markus says of the GL450's Porcelain Leather, "More than $4000 almost seems reasonable for the Bentley-grade white designo interior in the 450. I want!" Then, of course, there was the Auburn Brown interior in the GL550, and it, my friends, was even nicer. As a few manufacturers have started doing recently, Mercedes now has the option of non-glossy, open-pore wood. And the grainy stuff in the GL550 is the best I've ever seen -- in any car. Oh, and the non-designo interior in the GL350 is nothing to sneeze at. Says Markus, "This is an S-Class wagon, from a cockpit opulence standpoint."

As for interior dislikes, there weren't many. Our whole team agreed that COMAND, Mercedes-Benz's version of iDrive, is in serious need of a major rethink. That said, the 360-degree camera parking system (very similar to Infiniti's Around View) drew nothing but praise as the best the industry currently offers. The tallest member of our staff -- Scott Mortara -- did have an interesting complaint, "My only interior gripe is the seatbelt tensioner. It always pulls at my neck -- really annoying." There was also some concern about the speed at which the middle-row seats electronically fold. While not very fast compared with the other contenders' pull-levers, if your arms are full of stuff, the auto-seats are quite convenient. Especially as the front seats automatically slide forward to make room.

As far as the driving experience goes, consider us impressed. The 5774-pound GL350 and its potent yet thrifty diesel engine returned the second-best observed mpg of the competition, behind the 3038-pound Subaru XV -- 18.5 mpg compared with 22.4. (The 1.6-liter Ford Escape averaged 17.7 mpg over the same roads and conditions.) Remember, the GL is the largest passenger vehicle Mercedes makes, weighing over 100 pounds more than the big boxy G550. The gasoline-powered GLs returned the worst and second-worst fuel economy of the group, but they were 1200 pounds heavier than the next beefiest contender, the Infiniti JX. And the oil-burning, 455 lb-ft of torque wonder is the entry-level engine. The breadth and quality of the GL range also impressed us. The Ford Escape also has three engine options, but they only sent us the two EcoBoosted examples, leaving us to wonder if the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter inline-four (the Escape's base engine) isn't very good. Still, Mercedes has absolutely nothing to hide.

But it does have much to be proud of. "An absolutely amazing piece of machinery," crows Mortara. "An ueber-smooth ride, even in sport mode. You just float down the highway on a cloud and in silence." Floyd adds, "Over the entire two-and-a-half-day stretch, far and away the most fun I had behind the wheel was in the GL450, on both the road and off-road loops. It just shrank around me out on the winery roads. I honestly felt like I was in a sport sedan in spots." The one disappointment was the high-powered GL550. Yes, it was by quite a margin the fastest SUV here (0-60 in 5.1 seconds!), but its on-road manners left many of us wanting. Says Loh, "Ride is overcaffeinated: jittery and skittish, possibly due to the larger tires and more weight in the nose.." We all agreed the middle child 362-hp GL450 was the Goldilocks of the bunch. Especially off-road. Harwood smartly points out, "As manufacturers flock to crossovers, the capability is what suffers." Not so with the Mercedes. All three of them absolutely aced our (admittedly mild) dirt section. Markus notes, "Incredible off-road, too. No tricks, no low-range or lock, but it's sure-footed enough to billygoat right up at idle. DSR (Downhill Speed Regulation) works perfectly and allows you to set your speed from 1 to 11 mph. The GL450, with low range and the terrain-response-type dial, is even better. At the highest suspension setting, when the diagonal wheels lost traction, it seemed to lower the suspension to find grip. Even the 550 managed to idle up at 1 mph without spitting a single grain of dust."

The 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL truly is the complete package. As Mortara attests, "There is nothing more you could want or need in an SUV." Our editor-in-chief Loh puts it more colorfully: "Imagine a gigantic Swiss Army knife, with 50-some tools (one of the tools is a Leatherman, which itself has 50 tools). Now imagine all the blades are gold-plated platinum, and the inlaid mother-of-pearl handle is wrapped in leather from a Himalayan bald eagle. That's basically the GL." At first glance against our six criteria -- Performance of Intended Function, Design Advancement, Engineering Excellence, Efficiency, Safety, and Value -- the Mercedes nails five of them. Value is, of course, the sticky wicket. But as stated earlier, when you start comparing apples to apples, the GL is no more expensive than the vehicles it directly competes against. And when you consider just how ahead of its class the big Benz is, you realize that the GL is indeed six for six. Impressively well done again, Mercedes.
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...#ixzz29NQ14o3f
Old 10-15-12, 07:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

saw this....lame IMO....for this price it better be ground breaking to be MT's SUV of the year...and this def isn't.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-15-12 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-15-12, 10:03 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GL 63 please

The new GL is very well done, great leap with the interior

Last edited by Brian@Vossen; 10-15-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-15-12, 10:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

It's a good rendition but I don't think it deserves the title either. The new Range Rover on the other hand just shed 700lbs...

oh and..

Our whole team agreed that COMAND, Mercedes-Benz's version of iDrive, is in serious need of a major rethink
not good
Old 10-15-12, 10:11 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Motor Trend is a joke; how can you take a magazine seriously with statements like these:

"Mercedes-speak for "up yours, Audi" -- and we were all wowed"
Old 10-15-12, 10:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Motor Trend has historically done a decent job of picking good vehicles for their "___ of the year" awards, but this one I find hard to agree with.

No wonder Mercedes sends loaded $100k Designo models for testing purposes - it's not hard to fall in love with the CUV equivalent of an S class with high end features and custom options. You can mention that the base price is in line with the QX and Escalade, but Mercedes is notorious for expensive packages and pricey options, meaning that most of these CUVs are leaving the lot at probably $70k+. On top of that, the Designo models are obviously loaded.

Why was the GLK included? It was a light refresh - not something Motor Trend usually includes.

I thought the Escape would have taken this award easily - I never thought Motor Trend would have given the award to a vehicle that so few people can even dream of owning. I know we have many affluent members here, and people who live in areas that are higher income, but I always looked at value as a big part of the COTY/SUVOTY/TOTY awards. What vehicle really does it all, excels above the rest and is a standout leader in it's class? Something that a good number of Americans can realistically own?

It's not a $100,000 GL 550 Designo.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 10-15-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-15-12, 10:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am amazed at how people think the GL competes with the LX, I always thought that the GL and GX were on for a head to head comparo. Compared to the GX, the GL blows it away (Lexus should copy the GL when doing the GX), however the LX is still a nicer, mre unique, and more luxurious vehicle than the GL.
Old 10-15-12, 11:10 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am amazed at how people think the GL competes with the LX, I always thought that the GL and GX were on for a head to head comparo. Compared to the GX, the GL blows it away (Lexus should copy the GL when doing the GX), however the LX is still a nicer, mre unique, and more luxurious vehicle than the GL.
???

Don't You mean GL----LX
ML----GX
Old 10-15-12, 11:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

ML is more of a RX competitor
Old 10-15-12, 01:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Motor Trend is a joke; how can you take a magazine seriously with statements like these:

"Mercedes-speak for "up yours, Audi" -- and we were all wowed"
Motor Trend is a rag but when the MT reviewers liked the GS over others in it's class,it's a great magazine.
Old 10-15-12, 03:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
???

Don't You mean GL----LX
ML----GX

Not an error. The GX is the real competition for the GL. LX570 competes with MB G, Range Rover, and Infiniti QX. And also The Escalade.
Old 10-15-12, 05:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Motor Trend is a rag but when the MT reviewers liked the GS over others in it's class,it's a great magazine.
LOL. That's why I like reading the letters to the editor after a mag does a comparo. The comments are all over the place depending on the readers preference in vehicles.
Old 10-15-12, 07:49 PM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to know.. my parents were looking at this .. there looking to upgrade from a 08 X5
Old 10-15-12, 10:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at this too, a GL550, basically got everything I want.
Old 10-15-12, 11:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice choice. New GL still has the traditional SUV look, without any crazy, swoppy styling that tarnishes most others. Well done.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Announces 2013 SUV Of The Year