Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

18 year old wrecks Ferrari What does dad say?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 09:04 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Lesson learned for both father and son. I can understand wanting to give your kid something nice, but the dad must've known he wouldn't be ready with that much power. The kid's irresponsibility and recklessness proves no kid, no matter how "trustworthy" he or she may be, should ever be handed the keys to something that expensive or powerful. I say, if you didn't earn the right to buy it, you shouldn't be driving it anyway. People who actually save and purchase these rides will, for the most part, take care of them and not wreck them. I'm glad this kid wrecked it. He deserves everything coming to him.
Old 10-20-12, 10:49 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah honestly when I get into a position where I can buy my son or daughter a $70k-$100k sports car, I'll gladly do it - but not at the age of 18.

I agree with bnizzle87 - it's the age that's the problem here.

I'd wait for my son/daughter to turn 25 before I bought them a high powered sports car (if that's what they really wanted).
Old 10-20-12, 02:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

giving a stupid young kid a Ferrari is like giving a baby a loaded handgun to play with. It will only end one way
Old 10-20-12, 04:48 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Probably nothing too extravagant. A lot of wealthy people tend to be pretty frugal and live below their means except when it comes to their children. Money knows no bounds when it comes to spoiling "daddy's little girl/prince." (By the way, I don't mean this in a bad way. It's completely within someone's right to buy whatever the hell they want for their children with their own money).

For example, I know a plastic surgeon who bought his son a brand new Audi R8 ($110k-$120k?), but he "only" drives a BMW X5 himself ($70k-$80k?). The son drives the most expensive car in their household.

I know another guy who drives a Mercedes E350 himself but bought his daughter a brand new M3.
I know somebody (relative) who is a millionare but drives a mazda 626.
Old 10-20-12, 05:33 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LaVaism
Dad can't talk because mom has her hands wrapped around his throat while she is yelling at him.
LOL, yep

Originally Posted by maz
I'm glad I didn't have a Ferrari when I was 18 years old otherwise I wouldn't be typing this.
Yep, I wouldn't have made it either.

Originally Posted by chikoo
I know somebody (relative) who is a millionare but drives a mazda 626.
One of my good friend's is the CEO of one of the cereal companies (a millionaire a few times over), and he drives a 2000 Corolla to work every day. His other car is an old Ford Ranger. His wife drives an Accord.

They're just regular people (and obviously not car people), you would never know how successful they are as a couple (she's a dentist). They even live in a modest home, a 5-bedroom rancher.

But their summer house on Lake Michigan? Absolutely stunning!
Old 10-20-12, 05:56 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a good buddy of mine is the head of Credit Card Division of a major US Bank. He drives a 10 year old matrix to work.
Old 10-20-12, 09:05 PM
GhostGS
Driver School Candidate

The real question is.... What does the insurance company have to say?
Old 10-21-12, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Another thread with GA looking stupid lol

Old 10-22-12, 05:41 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree about the age factor.

Anyone can be immature, I know plenty of people at 30 who wouldn't be capable of driving a Ferrari.

It's about how the person was raised and how they were trained in driving. I see daily people who shouldn't have their licenses and yet they're over 18.
Old 10-22-12, 05:48 AM
HonaDavis
Driver School Candidate

i wonder what the dad drives if he can afford to buy his son a ferrari at 18
well he must be a millionaire then
Old 10-23-12, 03:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The dad got nothing to say, he is too busy shopping for a 458 Italia so his son got a car to drive when he gets out of the hospital

Or this dad hate his son so much, this is his way to get rid of him legally and for free (insurance will reimburse him whatever car his son totalled)

Last edited by BNR34; 10-23-12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-23-12, 05:18 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
One of my good friend's is the CEO of one of the cereal companies (a millionaire a few times over), and he drives a 2000 Corolla to work every day. His other car is an old Ford Ranger. His wife drives an Accord.

They're just regular people (and obviously not car people), you would never know how successful they are as a couple (she's a dentist). They even live in a modest home, a 5-bedroom rancher.

But their summer house on Lake Michigan? Absolutely stunning!
Everything in this world does not revolve around cars.
Old 10-23-12, 05:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Everything in this world does not revolve around cars.
yup, most people only spend money on what they are into. A lot of people in this world don't care about cars, regardless of how much money they have.
Old 10-23-12, 06:20 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

At 18 I was barnstorming a '52 Dodge Wayfarer with a flathead six around the Texas Hill Country. In a downhill, decreasing radius curve out around Bee Caves, I missed a shift, spun the car, and exited the roadway backwards, vaulting a ditch and perfectly splitting the uprights of an old cattle guard. Not even a scratch on me or the car. I'm probably alive today because daddy didn't buy me a Ferrari. I could find enough trouble in an old $200 coupe.
Old 10-23-12, 06:29 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Lesson learned for both father and son. I can understand wanting to give your kid something nice, but the dad must've known he wouldn't be ready with that much power. The kid's irresponsibility and recklessness proves no kid, no matter how "trustworthy" he or she may be, should ever be handed the keys to something that expensive or powerful. I say, if you didn't earn the right to buy it, you shouldn't be driving it anyway. People who actually save and purchase these rides will, for the most part, take care of them and not wreck them. I'm glad this kid wrecked it. He deserves everything coming to him.
imma have to disagree there! ones kids fault doesn't prove all kids potential

Quick Reply: 18 year old wrecks Ferrari What does dad say?