Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

18 year old wrecks Ferrari What does dad say?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 08:28 AM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 year old wrecks Ferrari What does dad say?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/t...ns-in-a/nShLf/
Old 10-19-12, 08:54 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything to contribute? The link just points back to the story, no mention of anything about what the dad may have said or not. In fact, it doesn't even mention if the dad is the owner or not.
Old 10-19-12, 11:53 AM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

In a follow up they indicate the father was a dumb *** & bought his 18 yr old son a F430. I know what stupid **** I did at 18 in a Regal I would have been dead in a F430 like the 18 yr old who killed his friends in his M5 on the runway in Ocala.
Old 10-19-12, 12:00 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

linked pictures over thats insane

when i was 18, i didnt even think i could handle the power of a turbo ek.
Old 10-19-12, 02:10 PM
maz
Lead Lap

I'm glad I didn't have a Ferrari when I was 18 years old otherwise I wouldn't be typing this.
Old 10-19-12, 02:23 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

I just want to find the salvage yard it went to and see if the wheels can be recovered.

Okay I take that back I just saw the picture showing the back tires were destroyed. That is just insane to give your child a 180,000 car.
Old 10-19-12, 05:19 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That accident happened about 1 or 2 miles from where one of my college buddies lives. Can't believe a parent would buy their child a car like that. Never mind parental responsibility, I'd buy that thing for myself.
Old 10-19-12, 06:58 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea
what does dad say?
Old 10-19-12, 07:22 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Dad can't talk because mom has her hands wrapped around his throat while she is yelling at him.
Old 10-19-12, 07:44 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, they survived the crash...

My father's friend bought his 16 year old son a brand new Ferrari. He did not end up crashing it.
Old 10-19-12, 08:45 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i wonder what the dad drives if he can afford to buy his son a ferrari at 18
Old 10-19-12, 10:02 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
i wonder what the dad drives if he can afford to buy his son a ferrari at 18
Probably nothing too extravagant. A lot of wealthy people tend to be pretty frugal and live below their means except when it comes to their children. Money knows no bounds when it comes to spoiling "daddy's little girl/prince." (By the way, I don't mean this in a bad way. It's completely within someone's right to buy whatever the hell they want for their children with their own money).

For example, I know a plastic surgeon who bought his son a brand new Audi R8 ($110k-$120k?), but he "only" drives a BMW X5 himself ($70k-$80k?). The son drives the most expensive car in their household.

I know another guy who drives a Mercedes E350 himself but bought his daughter a brand new M3.
Old 10-20-12, 12:51 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Probably nothing too extravagant. A lot of wealthy people tend to be pretty frugal and live below their means except when it comes to their children. Money knows no bounds when it comes to spoiling "daddy's little girl/prince." (By the way, I don't mean this in a bad way. It's completely within someone's right to buy whatever the hell they want for their children with their own money).

For example, I know a plastic surgeon who bought his son a brand new Audi R8 ($110k-$120k?), but he "only" drives a BMW X5 himself ($70k-$80k?). The son drives the most expensive car in their household.

I know another guy who drives a Mercedes E350 himself but bought his daughter a brand new M3.
This is very true. My mother drives a very cheap car, but was and is still willing to buy me a brand me Porsche 911 Turbo or pretty much any car within her reasonable financial means (I can not afford one myself since I still have many years to slave away as a graduate student). But I know when to say no.
Old 10-20-12, 02:05 AM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

It isn't so much about the parent buying this vehicle or that vehicle for their recently licensed child, but more of a matter of the person's inability to properly operate a vehicle in that performance category. I mean look at all the people that jump from an FF to a FR or MR & promptly spin or wreck it on the 1st slick corner. There needs to be far better driver education. The joke that they call Driver's Ed doesn't even teach parallel parking any more. The whole "well I learned just fine that way & that's the way it has always been" menatality needs to die. We need a graduated license system. Want to drive a sports car? - ok, you need to take an advanced driving course and then be tested to prove that you can control a vehicle of that caliber. Want to drive an SUV or pickup? - Same thing, prove you can operate it properly and get an endorsement on your license. Riders have to do it. CDL drivers have to do it. Yet Joe and Jane Schmo with limited to no experience can hop into anydamnthing with 4 wheels & learn as they go. Then it should be mandatory to retest & prove your compentency every time you renew your license to both keep your license & retain your endorsement. If the Insurance industry & nhtsa truly cared about the general public & reducing auto collisions and fatalities they would lobby for this to be implemented, instead of handing out grants for law enforcement to employ spotters to catch people texting while driving. My ex & I always had the understanding that we would allow her boys to get whatever they wanted to drive(within our price range of course) with the unwavering stipulation that they would absolutely have to attend advanced driver training courses and track days in order to have the skills to properly handle any vehicle. Totally didn't hurt that she was a former dirt track racer & we were building her a drift car.
Old 10-20-12, 07:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone found dad's quote?

Quick Reply: 18 year old wrecks Ferrari What does dad say?