Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 05:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
I'm sure everyone's disappointed that the sweet sounding V8 in the HSV never made it to production though. The new hybrid SH-AWD system is technically great but sounds horrible for a sports car.
I never heard what the production version hybrid V6 sounds like yet. I don't think anyone has. The race prepped car above actually has a turbocharged 4 cylinder to comply with the specs in the division this car will be raced in. It's not the hybrid V6 that supposed to be for production.
Old 08-20-13, 05:47 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I never heard what the production version hybrid V6 sounds like yet. I don't think anyone has. The race prepped car above actually has a turbocharged 4 cylinder to comply with the specs in the division this car will be raced in. It's not the hybrid V6 that supposed to be for production.
You're right. I totally forgot that the sound of the new NSX we've heard so far is of the turbo-4 race car. Still I doubt the new V6 can sound anywhere nearly as nice as the V8 in the HSV.
Old 08-20-13, 07:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ydooby
You're right. I totally forgot that the sound of the new NSX we've heard so far is of the turbo-4 race car. Still I doubt the new V6 can sound anywhere nearly as nice as the V8 in the HSV.
Probably true, but with my Prospeed Exhaust on my V6 now I think it sounds pretty good. I also really liked the ARC I had on it before. Sound from the factory means little too me because I hope the car would be modifiable enough to change things like the exhaust, headers and such.
Old 08-21-13, 11:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
i was thinking today, The 1st NSX came out in 1991, the last NSX produced in 2004-'05. Its 2013 now and almost 2014. How many years does it take to produced a car? (So far They had almost 9 years and counting..)

At this rate, we might get to see a REAL NSX by 2020.. hahahaha
careful there, took lexus 10 years on the lfa as well

to be fair, i think it can take a very long time for a company to design and build something from completely ground up and that's fine. i rather they take time to do it right, like the lfa. now if honda spent 10 years and the nsx comes out but not much of a driving machine? that would be a huge let down
Old 08-21-13, 11:34 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
careful there, took lexus 10 years on the lfa as well

to be fair, i think it can take a very long time for a company to design and build something from completely ground up and that's fine. i rather they take time to do it right, like the lfa. now if honda spent 10 years and the nsx comes out but not much of a driving machine? that would be a huge let down

You said that, but there was no LFA to begin with.. Lexus start from Scratch where-as Honda/Acura Already had a Baseline car the 1991-2005 NSX They had a 15 Year production car.. and it takes them this long?
Old 08-21-13, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
You said that, but there was no LFA to begin with.. Lexus start from Scratch where-as Honda/Acura Already had a Baseline car the 1991-2005 NSX They had a 15 Year production car.. and it takes them this long?
why you think toyota didn't have baseline when they had the legendary supra tt? that car was head to head with the nsx for years. that's enough of a baseline for lexus as well, if not the other numerous rwd cars toyota has

lexus decided to start from scratch. same with honda. no baseline
Old 10-30-13, 10:26 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

"Honda NSX development chief Ted Klaus recently said that the 2015 Honda NSX should provide Ferrari 458 Italia levels of excitement for far less money. “We’re looking for the excitement of the 458 at the price of the 911, and we think the hybrid technology can help us achieve that,” he said."

LMAO..........to match the speed and driving dynamics of the 458, sure......many cheaper cars can do that. Driving excitement and emotion? Ferrari have no equal, even Lambo can't do it.

A V6 to match the excitement of a 9k rpm high strung V8? April fools again?

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/10/30/2...for-911-price/

Next they are going to say the V6 Acura RLX is as smooth and serene as the Lexus LS600hL

Last edited by BNR34; 10-30-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-30-13, 12:39 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You laugh now, but when its out and driven it will be seriously special. It will have individual electric motors at the wheels, that means there will be some clever tech going into it. Plus the drive to each wheel powered by the hybrid will be able to do some type of torque vectoring. It'll be a Honda super- super handling awd system.
Old 10-30-13, 12:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I heard Ted Klaus and some of the NSX engineering team was at this years NSXPO for a presentation and question and answer session. It seems like this car is too far developed for any real input changes they may have heard from NSX owners, but one thing that someone that was there mentioned was that the NSX Team kept using phrases like "We tried this, but it wasn't NSX enough" and so forth. I was always skeptical about this NSX development ream compared to the original NS-X concept development team, but little things like that give me hope that the new NSX will indeed carry over a lot of the inspiration and spirit of the original New Sports Car eXperimental project of the original car.
Old 10-30-13, 01:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
You laugh now, but when its out and driven it will be seriously special. It will have individual electric motors at the wheels, that means there will be some clever tech going into it. Plus the drive to each wheel powered by the hybrid will be able to do some type of torque vectoring. It'll be a Honda super- super handling awd system.
It will be fast, but not emotional. Just like the Nissan GTR.
Old 10-30-13, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
It will be fast, but not emotional. Just like the Nissan GTR.
I dont know about that. I have driven 2 GTRs ( one with an exhaust) and I was almost in tears from how hard I was laughing at the violent acceleration. The GTR sparks happiness, laughter, thrills, and even a scare now and then. Respectfully I would have to say I dont agree with that. If someone said they drove a GTR and it wasnt an emotional experience I would simply say they didnt actually drive the car or they were drunk and stoned while driving. Its a thrill of a lifetime
Old 10-30-13, 03:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont know about that. I have driven 2 GTRs ( one with an exhaust) and I was almost in tears from how hard I was laughing at the violent acceleration. The GTR sparks happiness, laughter, thrills, and even a scare now and then. Respectfully I would have to say I dont agree with that. If someone said they drove a GTR and it wasnt an emotional experience I would simply say they didnt actually drive the car or they were drunk and stoned while driving. Its a thrill of a lifetime
Trust me I have look into this extensively

Violent acceleration is fun, it feels good, but is dull until you are talking about huge power......like 800+ hp.......then is just scary. Scary is not a good kind of excitement. I owned a 500 hp GTR before and have driven 1000 hp GTR.........it is fun and scary, but not passionate.

Then I drive a stock 600 hp 458 Italia, it doesn't feel that fast, but is pure emotional, passionate and exciting, it is all about the sounds.........the aural excitement.

This is why V8 and V12 Ferrari are so exciting to drive even though they really aren't that fast.........well until the LaFerrari of course, they are starting to be crazy fast. Even the 458 aren't that slow now a days.

The new NSX will be fast, but not passionate. Like the Model S P85+, huge rush of acceleration, but the dead silent operation makes it boring quickly.

Last edited by BNR34; 10-30-13 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 03:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Violent acceleration is fun, it feels good, but is dull until you are talking about huge power......like 800+ hp.......then is just scary. Scary is not a good kind of excitement. I owned a 500 hp GTR before and have driven 1000 hp GTR.........it is fun and scary, but not passionate.

Then I drive a stock 600 hp 458 Italia, it doesn't feel that fast, but is pure emotional, passionate and exciting, it is all about the sounds.........the aural excitement.

This is why V8 and V12 Ferrari are so exciting to drive even though they really aren't that fast.........well until the LaFerrari of course, they are starting to be crazy fast. Even the 458 aren't that slow now a days.
I see what you're saying. I was talking stock GTR. The Alpha AMS vehicles or the other monster GTRs are making silly power and are used for only drag racing. The one EVO review where they even bothered to put an Alpha AMS GTR on the track was crazy fast but very unbalanced. The car was oversteering on every corner even with AWD an slicks. I think the stock GTR with a nice exhaust will thrill. Ferraris have that high pitched scream that does connect with the driver a bit better. The GTR is a V6 TT so the noise is not nearly as nice. Kind of like the McLaren 12C compared to the sound of the 458. The induction and exhaust noise get muffled because of the nature of how the turbos work. The GTR with an exhaust seemed to me to be an amazing thrill to drive and I could not believe how fast it hits red line in first gear. It scared the **** out of me. I launched the car intially and hit the limiter in first gear. The second time I launched it it was perfect and I was gigiling like a school girl
Old 10-30-13, 04:01 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

The new NSX will be fast, but not passionate. Like the Model S P85+, huge rush of acceleration, but the dead silent operation makes it boring quickly.
I was looking for the words but this sums it up nice. The GT-R (much like the Toyobaru triplets) have always left me cold. Never warmed up to them. Good bargains, but that's all I see. We took in a 700hp GT-R as trade (guy got a LS F-Sport) and yes it was blistering quick but It didn't feel anything special to me. In comparison I took my dad for his birthday to a race day event and drove the 458 and Gallardo. Both are tingling. We also got an invite from a local Ferrari dealer and we drove the California - not everyones favorite, but that aural excitment is nothing short of breathtaking. In the GT-R I kept looking at the window switches pulled from the Altima. Not so special
Old 10-30-13, 05:27 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I see what you're saying. I was talking stock GTR. The Alpha AMS vehicles or the other monster GTRs are making silly power and are used for only drag racing. The one EVO review where they even bothered to put an Alpha AMS GTR on the track was crazy fast but very unbalanced. The car was oversteering on every corner even with AWD an slicks. I think the stock GTR with a nice exhaust will thrill. Ferraris have that high pitched scream that does connect with the driver a bit better. The GTR is a V6 TT so the noise is not nearly as nice. Kind of like the McLaren 12C compared to the sound of the 458. The induction and exhaust noise get muffled because of the nature of how the turbos work. The GTR with an exhaust seemed to me to be an amazing thrill to drive and I could not believe how fast it hits red line in first gear. It scared the **** out of me. I launched the car intially and hit the limiter in first gear. The second time I launched it it was perfect and I was gigiling like a school girl
Yes you got it, turbo kill the sounds, and sounds is what provide the passion and soul that connect with the driver. No connection is not exciting.

That is NA vs. turbo. Then the biggest factor is cylinder count, no V6 screams like a V8.........it is not physically possible.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News