Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 08:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,398 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
At least Honda has released drivetrain details of the NSX II (twice).
fixed.

anyway, i like the looks of this nsx (rims are hideous, but hopefully that's fixed for production ) and hope it turns out to be special overall.

comparing it to an lfa is ludicrous as the latter was nearly $400k. lfa is imo one of the finest street legal automobiles ever made.
Old 02-19-14, 10:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

That maybe, but that still isn't really an excuse. At least Honda has released drivetrain details of the NSX II. And we have even seen test mules for the new NSX. But we have yet to see neither from Lexus when it comes to the LF-LC.

All I'm saying is 3 years from concept to production isn't a long wait at all.
Well Lexus is very good about keep wraps on their products as we've seen. I'm betting LS and LF-LC (SC/LC) debut some TTV8 and a new V8 Hybrid set-up - hoping
Old 02-19-14, 11:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Good call on the Transformers.

i know i said they were different cars but lets not act like they suddenly started flirting with NSX thoughts 3 years ago. Its been on the table for over 11 years now and this is not some exotic or super car like a Ferrari or LFA as its not carbon fiber, nor a V-8 or a V-10 etc.

Any pics of the new factory anywhere?
So according to you a NSX is not a supercar/exotic because it does not have 2 or 4 more cylinders or "its not carbon fiber"(neither are most Ferrari's, they are aluminum bodied aside from their rarest highest end models like the Enzo and LaFerrari). The 458 replacement is rumored to get a tt V6.

So is a Jag XJ220, BMW M1, 959, 911 GT1, 300SL, or rarities like a Scorpion, Lykan Hypersport not considered exotics or supercars because they use 6 cylinders? Are Mustangs, Corvettes, Impalas, S classes, automatically exotics/supercars because they have V8's.

You conveniently just listed the 2 specs the LFA has(and the NSX doesn't) so it falls under your made up definition of a supercar/exotic and also gives the LFA your "exotic" defense for taking even longer then the hybrid NSX, you also left out most "exotics" are mid rear engined.
The LFA was originally designed to be aluminum bodied just like the NSX until it was too heavy and could not meet performance goals so they had change it to carbon fiber mid cycle. If the LFA remained aluminum like originally designed would you no longer call it an exotic? 10 cylinders is not really that "exotic" either, Dodge and Ford trucks/vans have had 10 cylinder options, BMW 5 and 6 series had a 10 cylinder version, VW Toureg/Pheaton had a V10 option, Viper is front engined with a V10, Audi S6 had a V10, they are not considered exotics or supercars.

How about both the LFA and NSX are considered exotics/supercars instead of just cherry picking 1 or 2 specs to label one a exotic and the other not.

Not sure how anyone can say a low slung mid engined car that looks like a NSX with that will pretty the most advanced hybrid powertrain made putting out 500hp or more is not a exotic or super car, just like the original NSX with its exotic aluminum construction, exotic mid engined layout, exotic Vtec engine with titanium connecting rod engine, exotic supercar looks, Ferrari killing performance was considered a exotic/supercar by most.

They went a completely different route with the NSX/Supercar 3 times(V6mid engined, V10front engined, V6 mid hybrid). That is why it has taken so long because they kept changing their mind or the new CEO foolishly cancelled the V10, but with the hybrid it has not take a very long time considering how totally unique and different it is from anything they build.

Japan is building the powertrain and other components for the new NSX, where are you getting "Japan does not want anything to do with it"?

Last edited by UDel; 02-19-14 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-19-14, 11:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
At this point though, Acura needs to start generating buzz. How about spy shots, a teaser shot, engine sound, silhouette, anything really. Use social media as a tool. The Germans, Jaguar and recently Mazda dominate Instagram for one.
The had a Superbowl ad, a NSX concept was in a major blockbuster movie, a camoed NSX was in Jerry Seinfeld's, "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee", they have been showing updated concepts, shown digital mockup videos, showed the new engine, they have done a decent job of generating buzz without giving too much away. They don't want to over expose the car either.
Old 02-20-14, 01:59 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
fixed.

anyway, i like the looks of this nsx (rims are hideous, but hopefully that's fixed for production ) and hope it turns out to be special overall.

comparing it to an lfa is ludicrous as the latter was nearly $400k. lfa is imo one of the finest street legal automobiles ever made.
Like others have said, other cars have taken longer. A good example is the Camaro; the current model took GM around 4 years to bring from concept to production.

The R36 GT-R concept was shown in 2001. The production did not showed up until late 2007.

Another one? FT-HS, FT-1, AKA Supra/Flagship Toyota sports car. First concept was officially unveiled in 2007. Production car is rumored for 2016. All in all, that is almost 10 years.

And how about the LF-LC? Both concepts were unveiled at the same time in 2012 at the auto show. So far we have no production date (2016, 2017, 2018???) or spotted any test mules. The LF-LC may come to market after the new NSX.

Agreed, the new NSX may be a great car. Or it may be another crappy over priced and under powered Honda. Who really knows at this point. Don't judge a book by its cover. Lets wait until the car comes out before everyone starts the hate and bashing.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 02-20-14 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 02:11 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well Lexus is very good about keep wraps on their products as we've seen. I'm betting LS and LF-LC (SC/LC) debut some TTV8 and a new V8 Hybrid set-up - hoping
Oh I competly agreed. I have said this on other forums as well. LC-F and LS-F with the V8 TT and LC600h?

Actually you bring up a good point. Lexus already has the drivetrain and platform from the LS. What is taking them so long? The LC should actually be here before the new NSX. With the NSX, Honda started all over from the ground up.
Old 02-20-14, 07:42 AM
LexFather

Oh I competly agreed. I have said this on other forums as well. LC-F and LS-F with the V8 TT and LC600h?

Actually you bring up a good point. Lexus already has the drivetrain and platform from the LS. What is taking them so long? The LC should actually be here before the new NSX. With the NSX, Honda started all over from the ground up.
The LC will not share the engine or platform from the current LS. It will debut some first for Lexus, engine and tranny wise along with other new tech. The LC is also from the ground up

Originally Posted by UDel
So according to you a NSX is not a supercar/exotic because it does not have 2 or 4 more cylinders or "its not carbon fiber"(neither are most Ferrari's, they are aluminum bodied aside from their rarest highest end models like the Enzo and LaFerrari). The 458 replacement is rumored to get a tt V6.

So is a Jag XJ220, BMW M1, 959, 911 GT1, 300SL, or rarities like a Scorpion, Lykan Hypersport not considered exotics or supercars because they use 6 cylinders? Are Mustangs, Corvettes, Impalas, S classes, automatically exotics/supercars because they have V8's.

You conveniently just listed the 2 specs the LFA has(and the NSX doesn't) so it falls under your made up definition of a supercar/exotic and also gives the LFA your "exotic" defense for taking even longer then the hybrid NSX, you also left out most "exotics" are mid rear engined.
The LFA was originally designed to be aluminum bodied just like the NSX until it was too heavy and could not meet performance goals so they had change it to carbon fiber mid cycle. If the LFA remained aluminum like originally designed would you no longer call it an exotic? 10 cylinders is not really that "exotic" either, Dodge and Ford trucks/vans have had 10 cylinder options, BMW 5 and 6 series had a 10 cylinder version, VW Toureg/Pheaton had a V10 option, Viper is front engined with a V10, Audi S6 had a V10, they are not considered exotics or supercars.

How about both the LFA and NSX are considered exotics/supercars instead of just cherry picking 1 or 2 specs to label one a exotic and the other not.

Not sure how anyone can say a low slung mid engined car that looks like a NSX with that will pretty the most advanced hybrid powertrain made putting out 500hp or more is not a exotic or super car, just like the original NSX with its exotic aluminum construction, exotic mid engined layout, exotic Vtec engine with titanium connecting rod engine, exotic supercar looks, Ferrari killing performance was considered a exotic/supercar by most.

They went a completely different route with the NSX/Supercar 3 times(V6mid engined, V10front engined, V6 mid hybrid). That is why it has taken so long because they kept changing their mind or the new CEO foolishly cancelled the V10, but with the hybrid it has not take a very long time considering how totally unique and different it is from anything they build.

Japan is building the powertrain and other components for the new NSX, where are you getting "Japan does not want anything to do with it"?
Well according to YOU Obama is not fit to run a McDonalds (your words, i'm just quoting them) and you obviously don't have any idea about the LFA so please continue promoting vaporware on a Lexus forum. How is your 1999 GS doing? Wasn't that a great car back then? Still looks good, I still love mine too but need to get rid of it to make some more room. Have you even been in a LFA or seen one?

When I was in Tokyo where the NSX was there at the Honda booth my translator explained why there wasn't more hype for it in Japan. In Japan their focus is on small cars and hybrids, what Honda excels in and what is selling very well for them in Japan. They have nearly no input on the NSX. The NSX chief engineer is here, a German fellow and if you read his comments its crystal clear this is an American project, which is great. The Corvette vs NSX battle for American supremacy will be an awesome watch! Honda builds and sells more cars here than in Japan and if you don't understand why Acura has struggled for so long, its pretty clear as Honda Japan has no intentions of investing in the brand while America Honda wanted it. America Honda also DESIGNED most all the failures the last few years so that doesn't help their case at all.

The NSX when it debuts will be a great addition to the field, who wouldn't' welcome such a car? As a hybrid owner I also think the trick system shows another car that showcases hybrid technology. The LFA inspired interior will surely be a great place to be.

Hopefully my expertise can help you out, that is what I am here for.

Old 02-20-14, 07:56 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

The LC will not share the engine or platform from the current LS. It will debut some first for Lexus, engine and tranny wise along with other new tech. The LC is also from the ground up
...the LF-LC concept could be based on a shortened version of the LS sedan’s chassis and be powered by a hybrid powertrain.
http://wot.motortrend.com/1312_new_l...#ixzz2n6vWUjPf

Lexus LF-LC is a luxury coupe, which will be placed on the Lexus LS sedan platform, made ​​of aluminum and carbon fiber, but much reduced.
http://www.allcars2014.com/2015-lexu...lfa-successor/

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 02-20-14 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 07:58 AM
LexFather

Hi, I kind of have connections and had conversations with Lexus about the car 2 YEARS ago. I said the CURRENT LS.

You cannot believe every link on the internet nor every article. And please don't get me wrong, I love your posts and what you bring here.

Old 02-20-14, 09:59 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Hi, I kind of have connections and had conversations with Lexus about the car 2 YEARS ago. I said the CURRENT LS.

You cannot believe every link on the internet nor every article. And please don't get me wrong, I love your posts and what you bring here.
Won't the next gen LS (2015-2016?) just use a updated version of the current platform?
Old 02-20-14, 10:57 AM
Hoovey689

Won't the next gen LS (2015-2016?) just use a updated version of the current platform?
I forget which article I read this from but typically (average) 20% of components are carried over for new generations.

Even if the updated version does use a current or parts of a current platform, imagine all the new bonding, adhesives, laser screw welding etc.. that will be put into it just like the GS, ES, IS. It'll be a different experience for sure.
Old 02-20-14, 11:10 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just surprised that we haven't seen a LC test mule yet. It's been over two years since the concept was unveiled.
Old 02-20-14, 11:26 AM
Hoovey689

I'm just surprised that we haven't seen a LC test mule yet. It's been over two years since the concept was unveiled.
I wouldn't be suprised to find out Lexus/Toyota had a 10 mile long test track in an underground complex hidden somewhere on earth...

Cheeky bast***s
Old 02-20-14, 03:06 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

^Lol that would be cool.

But why try to hide a test mule?
Old 02-20-14, 05:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Well according to YOU Obama is not fit to run a McDonalds (your words, i'm just quoting them) and you obviously don't have any idea about the LFA so please continue promoting vaporware on a Lexus forum. How is your 1999 GS doing? Wasn't that a great car back then? Still looks good, I still love mine too but need to get rid of it to make some more room. Have you even been in a LFA or seen one?

When I was in Tokyo where the NSX was there at the Honda booth my translator explained why there wasn't more hype for it in Japan. In Japan their focus is on small cars and hybrids, what Honda excels in and what is selling very well for them in Japan. They have nearly no input on the NSX. The NSX chief engineer is here, a German fellow and if you read his comments its crystal clear this is an American project, which is great. The Corvette vs NSX battle for American supremacy will be an awesome watch! Honda builds and sells more cars here than in Japan and if you don't understand why Acura has struggled for so long, its pretty clear as Honda Japan has no intentions of investing in the brand while America Honda wanted it. America Honda also DESIGNED most all the failures the last few years so that doesn't help their case at all.

The NSX when it debuts will be a great addition to the field, who wouldn't' welcome such a car? As a hybrid owner I also think the trick system shows another car that showcases hybrid technology. The LFA inspired interior will surely be a great place to be.

Hopefully my expertise can help you out, that is what I am here for.
Why in the world are you bringing up politics/Obama from the Debate Forum and into a NSX thread on Car Chat If you have to resort to that then you have lost the argument already not to mention I am pretty sure it is against CL rules.

Dude, I don't own a 99 GS, my GS is newer, not that it is really important or has anything to do with this debate, you should stop guessing and making things up in your head about CL members, it just makes you look bad. I am confident enough to own a completely paid for car that I keep looking almost new and don't need to LEASE a newer car or keep old cars to brag about on a website or use that to try to attack others, whatever floats your boat though. So now you attack CL members who don't buy or more accurately LEASE(rent) newer Lexus cars along with attacking members on this site who don't currently own a Lexus, very classy and positive.

I have never seen a LFA in person like most Americans, it will be pretty difficult since so few have been sold in the US or anywhere and many are not even being driven on the road, several are just sitting in dealership or are on Ebay, I don't really want to travel a great distance to where one is being demonstrated just to see one but I still hope to see one some day despite the very low odds.

Hmm, so you are saying you heard from some guy at a Honda booth at a auto show say in a language you don't even understand and had to get translated that they are not really interested in the NSX in Japan because they are just into small cars and hybrids got it, brilliant insight, case closed You want us to believe that the Japanese/Honda Japan don't care about the NSX just because it is too big(it is a hybrid)? Honda Japan is designing and building the NSX powertrain and other major components, that is major input, not "nearly no input". You do know the larger heavier RL and RLX is designed and built in Japan, that kind of blows your theory or "what you heard" out of the water. The big sellers in Japan are small cars/hybirds, that is with all brands but Japan does have its enthusiasts and they are extremely excited about the NSX just like they were with the LFA and GTR. If Japanese are not interested at all in big cars/non hybrid cars and only small hybrids then they would have no interest in the LFA, LF LC, GTR, Supra, original NSX either. This all just sounds like you bashing the NSX because it will be made at a US plant this time thinking it will be inferior to a Japanese made NSX. Honda Japan has designed and built plenty of poor to slow sellers like the CRZ, Insight, RLX, etc. America Honda also designed plenty of big hits/great sellers like the 3rd Gen TL, 2nd and 3rd Gen MDX, US Accord, etc.

There won't be any Corvette/NSX battle for "American Supremacy", they are totally different cars with a very different buyer/history, how could you possibly say something so uninformed and ridiculous unless it is just your normal Acura hate getting the best of you.

Your "expertise" comment is one of the funniest things I have read on CL.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News