Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 07:14 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'true to the purist' what does that mean? like a 1985 Ferrari 348? there are NO modern exotic sports cars that aren't super complex electronic beasts.

really? what do you mean passion and soul?

you'd rather it had bad handling? all modern exotic sports cars have spectacular handling, with abilities FAR exceeding 99.9% of those driving them.

LOL

those two may have more cylinders and sound, but they also both have a ton of computer-control. my favorite feature of a vette is the magnetic ride control which wouldn't be possible without fast processors. without it the handling (and comfort) would be far worse, but maybe that's what you want.

Precisely

I get the whole technology thing and "forward thinking", its just to me as some people have stated in this thread- I too would like to feel some sort of emotion from the car. As we enter into new territory with technological advancement, everything becomes more robotic. Yes, the steering may be more precise (Hell, it will practically drive for you!). And yes, it is subjectively a safer vehicle, but someone like me who has always had a love and passion for cars since as far as i can remember cannot get to "LOVE" the cars these days (yet). I am trying to love it, but I just like it.

Dont get me wrong, this new NSX personally i think is up there with the 918 Spyder in terms of its generated power (Or how it generates its power). I think I would be able to love the 918 spyder if I could own one (maybe in the near future? ), But I still think Honda is doing too much of what everyone else is doing. Their recipe for success has always been different than its competition. Think of the Type R, Older NSX, S2000, etc.. None of those cars were making nearly the same power as their supposed competition, but they had a driving feel that was unmatched and that is why they stayed iconic in a sense.

Fast forward to this new NSX- It just looks like they are trying to compete now. I personally have not had a chance to drive it, but spec sheets, numbers, data, history, heritage- Its all there for us to determine somewhat of a conclusion to what the car is. At the end of the day, for that same 180k+, I think I would be better off in a Porsche (Personal preference).
Old 03-20-16, 08:16 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Skylar

I really liked your points

My belief is the NSX will sell will to folks who do not buy german (being blunt here), already have other supercars, want forward thinking stuff (like the Tesla buyer), wanted an NSX when younger but couldn't afford one then (like me), favor the every day nature of the car, etc..
Old 03-20-16, 12:52 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Skylar

I really liked your points

My belief is the NSX will sell will to folks who do not buy german (being blunt here), already have other supercars, want forward thinking stuff (like the Tesla buyer), wanted an NSX when younger but couldn't afford one then (like me), favor the every day nature of the car, etc..

Thank you..

I believe their target audience/buyer will vary as well. There is not a specific type of buyer for cars these days.. Anyone who wants one can get one. Whether it will be a huge financial mistake is another story...

Side topic- How did you like your switch from the s2000, to an IS350? I had an AP1 Version 2 (Glass rear window, upgraded ECU, etc) back in 2003/2004. To this day, the manual transmission on that car has been very hard to beat. I have yet to drive another car with the same type of feel to the shifter. Its buttery smooth, and precise.. One thing I miss about it, no doubt..
Old 03-20-16, 01:50 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I changed jobs and any kind of commute in MA with an S2000(2000 model year) is a bad idea.

Had the IS350 for 7 years and it was excellent (lots of recall though).

I have had a Q50S Hybrid AWD for coming on 3 years and it has been an amazing car (fast, bulletproof, semi-autonomous tech, roomy back seat and handles any kind of weather).
Old 03-20-16, 04:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Took my car in for servicing

My dealer said they had two nsx allocation
Both sold to same person
20k over msrp for each car

July and August expected delivery
Originally Posted by UDel
Here is a video from inside the factory. All that dipping and 11 coats of paint on certain colors is amazing. Never saw anything like that when I worked in a auto plant paint shop.

1st look inside the Acura NSX factory - YouTube
Originally Posted by Motor
For me, this car appears to be pretty special. It looks killer and honestly this would be the first time I have ever been excited about an Acura. Twin turbochargers, 571hp and 476 lb-.ft is pretty darn fantastic.

And, its all coming in at a $165K++ price tag, and then all done in America I expect Michael Bay to have one of these in the next Transformers movies

Originally Posted by Vladi
Some NSXes in the last video were Hondas. Cool.
I saw the Honda logo too, that was pretty cool.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-20-16 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 04:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Took my car in for servicing

My dealer said they had two nsx allocation
Both sold to same person
20k over msrp for each car

July and August expected delivery
Apparently the first one sold for a whopping $1,000,000 over invoice at auction.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/first-2...-over-sticker/
Old 03-20-16, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Apparently the first one sold for a whopping $1,000,000 over invoice at auction.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was a record....or close to it. It probably makes that NSX more expensive than a new Bugatti.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-16 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 05:36 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I believe the Veyron base price in 2015 was $1.7 million.

Hendrick got a lot of press for his dealerships and 2 big charity deductions (2 recipients of the money)

I moved the up the second allocated NSX at my dealer this week, so maybe I will see it by Fall..
Old 03-23-16, 01:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Acura NSX GT3 swings through New York en route to the track

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/23/a...#slide-3840472
Old 03-23-16, 04:37 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Nice to see more Honda powered racing

My dealer reached out to let me know the guy who was ahead of me wants to wait a few months and it looks like I will get their first allocation, with delivery targeted for May/June

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 03-24-16 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-23-16, 07:16 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2017 Acura NSX GT3
Old 03-23-16, 07:22 PM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Precisely

I get the whole technology thing and "forward thinking", its just to me as some people have stated in this thread- I too would like to feel some sort of emotion from the car. As we enter into new territory with technological advancement, everything becomes more robotic. Yes, the steering may be more precise (Hell, it will practically drive for you!). And yes, it is subjectively a safer vehicle, but someone like me who has always had a love and passion for cars since as far as i can remember cannot get to "LOVE" the cars these days (yet). I am trying to love it, but I just like it.

Dont get me wrong, this new NSX personally i think is up there with the 918 Spyder in terms of its generated power (Or how it generates its power). I think I would be able to love the 918 spyder if I could own one (maybe in the near future? ), But I still think Honda is doing too much of what everyone else is doing. Their recipe for success has always been different than its competition. Think of the Type R, Older NSX, S2000, etc.. None of those cars were making nearly the same power as their supposed competition, but they had a driving feel that was unmatched and that is why they stayed iconic in a sense.

Fast forward to this new NSX- It just looks like they are trying to compete now. I personally have not had a chance to drive it, but spec sheets, numbers, data, history, heritage- Its all there for us to determine somewhat of a conclusion to what the car is. At the end of the day, for that same 180k+, I think I would be better off in a Porsche (Personal preference).
It seems like your opinions of the new NSX are being skewed by your fanboy days of 90's and early 00's automotive lore. I don't think Honda is trying to do too much of what everyone else is doing, rather they are doing exactly what they should be doing, flexing their engineer prowess/muscle w/in the confines of today's automotive standards/regulations.

From everything I've read, this car is meant for one thing, achieving lap times. I'm sure if you were to actually get behind the wheel of one these cars and drive it like you stole it on the track you'd surely get that "emotion and feel." The argument that hybrid tech, electronic steering, and dual clutch transmissions take away from the driving experience is obscure. Especially when cars equipped w/ such tech are far exceedingly superior to their predecessors. I bet motorheads who's bread and butter revolved around the carburetor back in the day senselessly pined about the lack of emotion and feel when fuel injection was introduced.
Old 03-23-16, 09:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Nice to see more Hoda powered racing

My dealer reached out to let me know the guy who was ahead of me wants to wait a few months and it looks like I will get their first allocation, with delivery targeted for May/June
awesome, only 2 more months!
Old 03-24-16, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by hknubsauce
... I bet motorheads who's bread and butter revolved around the carburetor back in the day senselessly pined about the lack of emotion and feel when fuel injection was introduced.
this. awesome post.
Old 03-24-16, 08:26 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by hknubsauce
It seems like your opinions of the new NSX are being skewed by your fanboy days of 90's and early 00's automotive lore. I don't think Honda is trying to do too much of what everyone else is doing, rather they are doing exactly what they should be doing, flexing their engineer prowess/muscle w/in the confines of today's automotive standards/regulations.

From everything I've read, this car is meant for one thing, achieving lap times. I'm sure if you were to actually get behind the wheel of one these cars and drive it like you stole it on the track you'd surely get that "emotion and feel." The argument that hybrid tech, electronic steering, and dual clutch transmissions take away from the driving experience is obscure. Especially when cars equipped w/ such tech are far exceedingly superior to their predecessors. I bet motorheads who's bread and butter revolved around the carburetor back in the day senselessly pined about the lack of emotion and feel when fuel injection was introduced.
It's not always about the tech or lap times. Nascars are as low tech as they get in the racing world, yet, it's magnitudes more entertaining to watch. Not only are the cars livelier, but the drivers have more personality than say F1 cars and drivers. I dont think anyone that's into racing will argue that Nascar is more entertaining to watch than F1 races. When driving a car becomes a video game, people will get bored of it but when you drive a car that is raw waiting to be tamed, it makes the driver feel special.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News