Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Mercedes Benz C63 Black Series "Track Pack"

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 09:36 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just going to leave this here...
Old 11-15-12, 09:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I don't care if it drives fast. There is not a line on that car I find attractive or desirable. You can bet the ride quality will suck, and the performance can only be enjoyed on select road surfaces in select locations. At over $100k you get a C-class with a monster engine, tacky body kit, unsightly wheel wells that look like they were glued on to the body in the aftermarket, and cheesy aero parts (like that wing). I don't see the point.

This car has about as much grace as my neighbours riced out Integra. Sure it has a much bigger engine, but the reaction to both is "meh". Put a big engine in a golf cart and it will go fast too. It takes a lot more to be "special".
With your logic, any race prepped car with huge wing and scoops and add on fender flares are graceless?

911 RSR, 599XX Evoluzione, FXX Evoluzione.............and ultimately all F1 cars are graceless crappy piece of junk that shouldn't exist at all? These cars are made to function, not to look graceful and pretty.

Old 11-15-12, 09:48 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Mr. Burns, let me rephase what you said, let's apply this to a F1 car:

"I don't care if it drives fast. There is not a line on that car I find attractive or desirable. You can bet the ride quality will suck, and the performance can only be enjoyed on select road surfaces in select locations. At over $10 millions you get a carbon monocoque with a monster engine and 4 tiny wheels, tacky body kit, unsightly wheel wells that look like they were glued on to the body in the aftermarket, and cheesy aero parts (like that wing). I don't see the point.

This car has about as much grace as my neighbours riced out Integra. Sure it has a much bigger engine, but the reaction to both is "meh". Put a big engine in a lawn mower and it will go fast too. It takes a lot more to be "special".

With your logic, a F1 car is not special.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-15-12 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 02:20 PM
LexFather

The word "swagger" was used in the original post I was responding to:

Please stay in context.

I don't care if it drives fast. There is not a line on that car I find attractive or desirable. You can bet the ride quality will suck, and the performance can only be enjoyed on select road surfaces in select locations. At over $100k you get a C-class with a monster engine, tacky body kit, unsightly wheel wells that look like they were glued on to the body in the aftermarket, and cheesy aero parts (like that wing). I don't see the point.

This car has about as much grace as my neighbours riced out Integra. Sure it has a much bigger engine, but the reaction to both is "meh". Put a big engine in a golf cart and it will go fast too. It takes a lot more to be "special".
I've driven in the past month
C250
C63
C63 Black Series Track

I haven't done review on the others yet and maybe I won't. The things you complain about are the same things we can say about the LFA or IS F pre suspension change.

You never have seen the car. You will never drive it. Enthusiasts love the vehicle and the "bodykit" is not a bodykit. It is not tacked on, it is part of the body. I can agree some don't like the wing or aero parts and that is why only 40 or so will have them.

This car isn't about grace, its about "**** YOU". It is special, you just would never get it. Enjoy your Corolla. If we were lucky to have a Lexus like this you and others would be fapping to death about it.

Old 11-15-12, 02:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ill make room for the Benz and the RSR...will see who's laughing at the end of the day.
Old 11-15-12, 05:34 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
Mr. Burns, let me rephase what you said, let's apply this to a F1 car:

"I don't care if it drives fast. There is not a line on that car I find attractive or desirable. You can bet the ride quality will suck, and the performance can only be enjoyed on select road surfaces in select locations. At over $10 millions you get a carbon monocoque with a monster engine and 4 tiny wheels, tacky body kit, unsightly wheel wells that look like they were glued on to the body in the aftermarket, and cheesy aero parts (like that wing). I don't see the point.

This car has about as much grace as my neighbours riced out Integra. Sure it has a much bigger engine, but the reaction to both is "meh". Put a big engine in a lawn mower and it will go fast too. It takes a lot more to be "special".

With your logic, a F1 car is not special.

With your logic, any race prepped car with huge wing and scoops and add on fender flares are graceless?

911 RSR, 599XX Evoluzione, FXX Evoluzione.............and ultimately all F1 cars are graceless crappy piece of junk that shouldn't exist at all? These cars are made to function, not to look graceful and pretty.

Guys no. It's not hard to understand. Those supercars and F1 cars are designed and built from the ground up for their purpose to exacting standards. They are bespoke, beautiful, and genuine. The Mercedes is a highly profitable modified C-class, and like my neighbor’s riced up Integra, imitates the genuine supercars but comes off as tacky and fake. It’s trying very hard to be something it’s not using off the shelf parts. It cannot compare to the real deal. A golf cart with a huge engine and aero parts doesn't automatically become as special as an F1 car or a bespoke Ferrari.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I've driven in the past month
C250
C63
C63 Black Series Track

I haven't done review on the others yet and maybe I won't. The things you complain about are the same things we can say about the LFA or IS F pre suspension change.

You never have seen the car. You will never drive it. Enthusiasts love the vehicle and the "bodykit" is not a bodykit. It is not tacked on, it is part of the body. I can agree some don't like the wing or aero parts and that is why only 40 or so will have them.

This car isn't about grace, its about "**** YOU". It is special, you just would never get it. Enjoy your Corolla. If we were lucky to have a Lexus like this you and others would be fapping to death about it.
To me, anyone driving this car would come across as an incredibly fake and childish douchbag. This is a hooligan's car as James May described it. Never in a million years would I want a Lexus as tacky as this. But I'm sure a Lexus version would at least have properly integrated wheel wells vs the ones on this that look like they were made out of paper mache and glued on by the designer's teenager.

Zero soul. Zero grace. Zero character. Trying too hard. Hyper fake. It's a factory version of what a clueless teenager does to his used Honda. It's my opinion and it's a passionate opinion, but for those reasons I hate these cars. There are a many more cars I would spend $100k+ for than that POS.

Cheers.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 11-15-12 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 05:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Guys no. It's not hard to understand. Those supercars and F1 cars are designed and built from the ground up for their purpose to exacting standards. They are bespoke, beautiful, and genuine. The Mercedes is a highly profitable modified C-class, and like my neighbor’s riced up Integra, imitates the genuine supercars but comes off as tacky and fake. It’s trying very hard to be something it’s not using off the shelf parts. It cannot compare to the real deal. A golf cart with a huge engine and aero parts doesn't automatically become as special as an F1 car or a bespoke Ferrari.
Relatively speaking, the $1.7 million 599XX Evoluzione is just a highly profitable modified cheap $300k 599 GTB.

Nothing on that C63 Black Series is off the shelf, every part is specificially designed for it.
Old 11-15-12, 06:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

To me, anyone driving this car would come across as an incredibly fake and childish douchbag. This is a hooligan's car as James May described it. Never in a million years would I want a Lexus as tacky as this. But I'm sure a Lexus version would at least have properly integrated wheel wells vs the ones on this that look like they were made out of paper mache and glued on by the designer's teenager.
This is the factory version of the Lexus black series, I guess Lexus is also graceless and don't know how to make properly integrated wheel wells either.

Old 11-15-12, 06:06 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Zero soul. Zero grace. Zero character. Trying too hard. Hyper fake. It's a factory version of what a clueless teenager does to his used Honda. It's my opinion and it's a passionate opinion, but for those reasons I hate these cars. There are a many more cars I would spend $100k+ for than that POS.
The way that clueless teenager hotrodded his used Honda is the same thing as how the Ferrari factory hot rodded the Enzo into the FXX Evoluzione. Just at different price point. Hot rodding is all the same idea.
Old 11-15-12, 08:43 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

This is the factory version of the Lexus black series, I guess Lexus is also graceless and don't know how to make properly integrated wheel wells either.

I highly highly doubt that is the production version of the LS-F (so to speak). It's a test mule, and yes it looks equally horrid. Every Lexus made today has properly integrated wheel wells including the IS-F. Same with BMWs and Audis and even Cadillacs. Only Mercedes designers are so amateurish.

Cadillac has nicked much of MB's design language simply because the boys at GM seem to think anything Mercedes = gold. However even despite copying the horrid way Mercedes bumpers and lower front fascias are integrated, not even Cadillac could in this day and age put out wheel wells that are that poorly integrated.

Relatively speaking, the $1.7 million 599XX Evoluzione is just a highly profitable modified cheap $300k 599 GTB.

Nothing on that C63 Black Series is off the shelf, every part is specificially designed for it.
The 599 GTB is a very respectable platform to start. It's a gorgeous ferrari supercar, not a $40k entry Mercedes coupe that looks like a Civic.

I believe the engine is an off the shelf Mercedes engine. Just because they shove that engine into every turd and slap on a body kit doesn't mean they're creating genuinely awesome performance cars. In the same way that a teenager putting that engine into his riced out integra doesn't automatically make it an awesome sports car.

The way that clueless teenager hotrodded his used Honda is the same thing as how the Ferrari factory hot rodded the Enzo into the FXX Evoluzione. Just at different price point. Hot rodding is all the same idea.
Except the Ferrari guys don't seem as clueless. Their cars look good and purposeful. They're genuine factory race cars.

Guys I don't like it (I hate it in fact), it's my opinion. Agree to disagree.
Old 11-15-12, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

2is was not designed to have v8 in it. the v8 in isf was actually developed for ls600hl, and they shoved it into the 2is chassis. and yet you think the isf is well designed and integrated?

it's no problem you hate mercedes, it's just the way you try to defend yourself
Old 11-16-12, 05:31 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheers.

how can you even compare these cars Its one thing if you don't like how a car "looks".

Honda - Forum over Function (for looks, to be different, for show)

-lots of hard work, tears, and sweat went into that hand sculptured piece of art work. Many are not able to appreciate what these car enthusiasts create regardless of what make/brand of car they turn into a show car. I may not care for the car or how it looks but much respect for the work they put into these projects

Benz - function over form (same R&D that goes into your plain Jane everyday car)
Old 11-16-12, 06:55 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
2is was not designed to have v8 in it. the v8 in isf was actually developed for ls600hl, and they shoved it into the 2is chassis. and yet you think the isf is well designed and integrated?

it's no problem you hate mercedes, it's just the way you try to defend yourself
Let's boil it down to this. I think the Mercedes looks like a riced out C-class from the factory selling at $100k. I don't think the supercars or even the ISF or M3 do.
Old 11-16-12, 08:22 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Guys I don't like it (I hate it in fact), it's my opinion. Agree to disagree.
I don't care if you like it or not, I disagree to disagree.
Old 11-16-12, 08:30 AM
LexFather

Here is what the professional media thinks.

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...ck-series.html

A 6-Figure C-Class?
Not that any of this will dampen sales because fewer than 100 of the total worldwide run of 500-600 C63 AMG Black Series coupes are destined for these shores. Pricing won't be released until mid-December, after which cars will begin hitting showrooms in the first quarter of 2012. At that miniscule volume we figure they'll sell every one of them in short order, even if they go for the $98,500 starting price we're expecting.

If the 2008 CLK 63 AMG Black Series is any judge, it'll be worth it from a retained value perspective down the road. But screw resale value. The case for the 2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series rests solely on its performance. This is the most track-ready C-Class ever made. It devoured the Corkscrew and the rest of Laguna Seca and will likely do the same to any of your favorite back roads.
Since you think its just the same engine, you are wrong

From there, the path to 510 horses and 457 pound-feet of torque involves a stop at the SLS AMG parts bin, where forged pistons, forged rods and a lighter forged crank amount to a 9-pound loss of reciprocating engine mass. There's also a unique engine ECU map that's generally more aggressive on the way to this engine's redline of 7,200. The standard C63 engine only spins up to 6,800 rpm.

Additionally, the Black Series engine block omits the base C63's internal sump vents between adjacent crankshaft bearings. This transforms the bottom end into a series of isolated V2 compartments meant to capture the pressure buildup beneath each plummeting piston to help push it up again for additional torque. The trade-off is a lumpier idle, but we're OK with that.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s_first_drive/

"It handles like a 500-horsepower Miata."
Sticking with the options, there's also the aerodynamics package that features a splitter; flics (those little winglets on the sides of the nose); and an adjustable, trunk-mounted big wing -- all made from carbon fiber. AMG assured us that not only are they all functional, but you can't remove the wing and keep the other pieces because the airflow from the flics will upset the car without the downforce. If you go Black (Series), we'd recommend getting all the pieces. Because why on earth not? Also, the car looks mean dressed in full race gear, especially in that new creamy golden yellow.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2CP5rAe30
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...g-black-series

Monterey, California—Mercedes’ Black Series cars, in the words of AMG boss Ola Kallenius, represent “the sharpest edge of the arrow in the AMG arsenal.”

It’s a very cool car, faster around the Nordschleife than the BMW M3 GTS,

Quick Reply: 2013 Mercedes Benz C63 Black Series "Track Pack"