Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car magazine would you replace C&D with:
Automobile
18.18%
Road & Track
9.09%
Motor Trend
36.36%
Other
36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

I'm Sick of Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 07:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I like Road and Track FAR more than Car and Driver. They even have the little symbols you can scan for videos on the article you are reading. Very cool and helps to differentiate from the competition
+1 R&T....I get it so cheap....for like the next 5 years
Old 10-29-12, 09:13 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You better believe it......even today. A paper magazine can't break down, lose a battery-charge, or have a power failure.
But it can get lost, get all wrinkly and aged, kill trees... and can still fall in the toilet.
Old 10-29-12, 09:35 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

would you rather have a paper magazine fall in the toilet, or your e-reader?

Old 10-29-12, 01:24 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I long got tired of Car & Driver, as I became a subscriber over a decade ago when I was 10 and noticed a reduction in content during the last few years. To be honest, unless a magazine is going to be providing me exclusives I won't find online(like spy images, leaked new designs), then there isn't any point being subscribed to them.

Originally Posted by UDel
Where do you get the free "trail" subscriptions? I looked into that a few times and most of those offering the free trials were scam sites, I only pay like 5 or 8 bucks a year for Car and Driver, Automobile, and Road and Track but getting them or others free would be nice

I have no issues with Car and Driver or most auto magazines except that they pretty much never really take reliability and expensive upkeep into consideration when they review and rate cars and it is something to consider when they give normally very unreliable German and British cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, such high marks. I have never been really impressed with Motor Trend though.

I wish CAR, EVO, and TOP GEAR where cheaper and had a good subscription price because they are my favorite auto mags but way too expensive to buy every month.

"Sports Car International" was excellent and my favorite American auto mag, I am very sad to see it go.
I have no idea why you believe this, but the last unreliable genuine Jaguars were the XJ40 XJ-Series(1986-1994) and XJ-S/XJS sold through the mid '90s. Jaguar surpasses all of those brands on your list and meets Lexus closely in terms of reliability nowadays. My father still has a 2000 Vanden Plas S/C sedan he bought 12 years ago and it's still in fantastic shape, as well as his 2006 and 2009 models. It's just a myth that people won't let go of from decades ago.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 10-29-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 02:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
I have no idea why you believe this, but the last unreliable genuine Jaguars were the XJ40 XJ-Series(1986-1994) and XJ-S/XJS sold through the mid '90s. Jaguar surpasses all of those brands on your list and meets Lexus closely in terms of reliability nowadays. My father still has a 2000 Vanden Plas S/C sedan he bought 12 years ago and it's still in fantastic shape, as well as his 2006 and 2009 models. It's just a myth that people won't let go of from decades ago.
Are you basing that comment on something other than your dad's Jaguar?

I personally don't recall seeing any broad surveys that show Jag better than average (example below):

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2012008

and

http://www.consumerreports.org/conte...liability.html
1. Scion
2. Toyota
3. Lexus
4. Mazda
5. Subaru
6. Honda
7. Acura
8. Audi
9. Infiniti
10. Kia
11. Cadillac
12. GMC
13. Nissan
14. Mercedes-Benz
15. Chevrolet
16. BMW
17. Hyundai
18. Volkswagen
19. Jeep
20. Volvo
21. Buick
22. Mini
23. Chrysler
24. Dodge
25. Ram
26. Lincoln
27. Ford
28. Jaguar

A bit off topic, so may be worth a new thread rather than taking this down that path...
Attached Thumbnails I'm Sick of Car and Driver-jdp.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-29-12 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 02:54 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Are you basing that comment on something other than your dad's Jaguar?

I personally don't recall seeing any broad surveys that show Jag better than average (example below):

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2012008

and

http://www.consumerreports.org/conte...liability.html
1. Scion
2. Toyota
3. Lexus
4. Mazda
5. Subaru
6. Honda
7. Acura
8. Audi
9. Infiniti
10. Kia
11. Cadillac
12. GMC
13. Nissan
14. Mercedes-Benz
15. Chevrolet
16. BMW
17. Hyundai
18. Volkswagen
19. Jeep
20. Volvo
21. Buick
22. Mini
23. Chrysler
24. Dodge
25. Ram
26. Lincoln
27. Ford
28. Jaguar

A bit off topic, so may be worth a new thread rather than taking this down that path...
I understand that it would be the wrong thread for this, but I probably haven't taken to note the latest readings which probably sagged due to the XF aging as prior to it Jaguar readings were much higher. I guess I stopped taking an interest after the 2009 model year, so I can see where I made a mistake with that. Who really knows what happened, as that's a serious drop between 2009 and 2010.

Old 10-29-12, 03:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
I long got tired of Car & Driver, as I became a subscriber over a decade ago when I was 10 and noticed a reduction in content during the last few years. To be honest, unless a magazine is going to be providing me exclusives I won't find online(like spy images, leaked new designs), then there isn't any point being subscribed to them.

It is not a belief, Jaguars have generally not gotten rid of their poor/below avg reliability issues though they are not nearly as bad as the Lucas electronics days. Yes there are some JD Power surveys where at times they do pretty good but every manufacturer has big dips and gains from time to time, most sources show them still to be pretty problematic compared to other makes, especially Japanese makes. Even reading long/short term tests/reviews in car mags I have noticed Jaguars have more issues then most and the writers comment on that. Consumer Reports show them to be pretty unreliable too, it is difficult to access and post up Consumer Reports ratings without being a online member but the magazines show them to be below avg.
Old 10-29-12, 03:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I stopped taking C&D even the least bit seriously after this comparison.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ype-s-page-6-1

The Acura RSX-S got its but whooped big time in just about every single category that there was, yet they still gave it 1st place and basically told their readers to go F themselves. Haven't read C&D since. Automobile magazine threw together some ridiculously amateurish dyno number comparisons for a particular car that weren't even the least bit correct and actually published this BS as fact (I debunked it elsewhere in like 2 minutes), so I won't read them either.

The only car rag that hasn't explicitly pissed me off with complete horse**** is R&T, but then again I don't make a habit of reading these rags much anyways so for all I know they're just as bad.
I have driven or rode in most of those cars in that test and would have easily picked the RSX-S too, it is the nicest, most reliable, and best built by far out of all them with a great engine/transmission. It may not be as quick as the WRX, Cobalt SS(they are awful POS's), Neon SRT(another crappy car), Saturn Ion(another crappy car) but taken as a whole I am not surprised they chose the RSX-S also and it does not seem out of the ordinary.
Old 11-01-12, 05:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-02-12, 08:13 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Have no problem with C&D. I find their opinions match mine closer than the others. It's Autoweek (Autobimonthly) that's driving my crazy. They review the most useless cars- exotics, supercars, noncars, old cars, racecars, and cars not sold here. These are all unrealistic vehicles or ones I or most others would never be an owner of. Waste of time. I'm sure I'm alone on that though. All the hype with car mags seems to be for the big gun or rare cars.
Yep, me too, Fizz...

Actually, C&D is my favorite by far, always has been. I find them more entertaining than the others, and their opinions on cars more closely match mine than the others.

Automobile reviews too many cars I don't care about.

Road and Track spends half the magazine on track-related or race-related issues....and I'm simply not interested.

Motor Trend is probably my 2nd favorite.

As much as I love driving fast and raw numbers, there's so much more to a car than simple stats. C&D captures the feel of the overall car best for me. I don't always agree with their assessments once I go test drive the cars myself, but many times I do....and they have certainly influenced my purchase decisions more than any other magazine.
Old 11-03-12, 11:24 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sick of the magazine Car and Driver because it seems to me that they expect every car in the world to be driver's car and that had long become their priority standard to determine the quality of a vehicle disregarding many other traits. They are extremely subjective in their analysis.