Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What car magazine would you replace C&D with:
Automobile
18.18%
Road & Track
9.09%
Motor Trend
36.36%
Other
36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

I'm Sick of Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 01:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'm Sick of Car and Driver

I know I'm leaving myself open to flaming, but...

I'm sick of C&D; they try and be more like Maxim than a car mag. Looking for a replacement mag...
Old 10-27-12, 06:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Have no problem with C&D. I find their opinions match mine closer than the others. It's Autoweek (Autobimonthly) that's driving my crazy. They review the most useless cars- exotics, supercars, noncars, old cars, racecars, and cars not sold here. These are all unrealistic vehicles or ones I or most others would never be an owner of. Waste of time. I'm sure I'm alone on that though. All the hype with car mags seems to be for the big gun or rare cars.
Old 10-27-12, 06:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't buy any of the publications. I just get the free one year trials !

Actually on the 4th C&D is doing Editor for the day here in SF. We're reviewing a fusion, accord, Altima, and Camry
Old 10-28-12, 12:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like Road and Track FAR more than Car and Driver. They even have the little symbols you can scan for videos on the article you are reading. Very cool and helps to differentiate from the competition
Old 10-28-12, 01:24 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't buy any of the publications. I just get the free one year trials !

Actually on the 4th C&D is doing Editor for the day here in SF. We're reviewing a fusion, accord, Altima, and Camry
same here.. haven't bought a magazine in 5 years lol.... love the free stuff
Old 10-28-12, 11:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
same here.. haven't bought a magazine in 5 years lol.... love the free stuff
Where do you get the free "trail" subscriptions? I looked into that a few times and most of those offering the free trials were scam sites, I only pay like 5 or 8 bucks a year for Car and Driver, Automobile, and Road and Track but getting them or others free would be nice

I have no issues with Car and Driver or most auto magazines except that they pretty much never really take reliability and expensive upkeep into consideration when they review and rate cars and it is something to consider when they give normally very unreliable German and British cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, such high marks. I have never been really impressed with Motor Trend though.

I wish CAR, EVO, and TOP GEAR where cheaper and had a good subscription price because they are my favorite auto mags but way too expensive to buy every month.

"Sports Car International" was excellent and my favorite American auto mag, I am very sad to see it go.
Old 10-28-12, 11:45 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Print magazines still exist?
Old 10-28-12, 01:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Where do you get the free "trail" subscriptions? I looked into that a few times and most of those offering the free trials were scam sites, I only pay like 5 or 8 bucks a year for Car and Driver, Automobile, and Road and Track but getting them or others free would be nice

I have no issues with Car and Driver or most auto magazines except that they pretty much never really take reliability and expensive upkeep into consideration when they review and rate cars and it is something to consider when they give normally very unreliable German and British cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, such high marks. I have never been really impressed with Motor Trend though.

I wish CAR, EVO, and TOP GEAR where cheaper and had a good subscription price because they are my favorite auto mags but way too expensive to buy every month.

"Sports Car International" was excellent and my favorite American auto mag, I am very sad to see it go.
I just recently found my free subscription to Motortrend in our "great deals" section

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/great-deals-136/
Old 10-28-12, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Print magazines still exist?
You better believe it......even today. A paper magazine can't break down, lose a battery-charge, or have a power failure.
Old 10-28-12, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy
All the hype with car mags seems to be for the big gun or rare cars.
I agree. Most of the American enthusiast-mags spend too much time and pages on 100K+ cars, though Top Gear, with the Euro-spec cars, seems to be an exception. Top Gear is also a lot more comprehensive than the American mags....the magazine itself is at least twice as thick.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-12 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To address the OP's question, I don't really have a clear recommendation among the American mags...they're all, IMO, more or less the same, except that Peter Egan's "Side-Glances" articles in R&T are unique. I don't really have any problems with C&D, either, ever since Brock Yates left......I thought Yates was an embarassment, though I miss Patrick Bedard, Casba Csere, and Rich Ceppos, who worked for both C&D and Autoweek.
Old 10-28-12, 03:47 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped taking C&D even the least bit seriously after this comparison.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ype-s-page-6-1

The Acura RSX-S got its but whooped big time in just about every single category that there was, yet they still gave it 1st place and basically told their readers to go F themselves. Haven't read C&D since. Automobile magazine threw together some ridiculously amateurish dyno number comparisons for a particular car that weren't even the least bit correct and actually published this BS as fact (I debunked it elsewhere in like 2 minutes), so I won't read them either.

The only car rag that hasn't explicitly pissed me off with complete horse**** is R&T, but then again I don't make a habit of reading these rags much anyways so for all I know they're just as bad.
Old 10-28-12, 04:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow, you have a long memory!

I enjoy readng comparos, but never take them too seriously even when i disagree with them. More entertainment than anything for me.
Old 10-28-12, 08:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To address the OP's question, I don't really have a clear recommendation among the American mags...they're all, IMO, more or less the same, except that Peter Egan's "Side-Glances" articles in R&T are unique. I don't really have any problems with C&D, either, ever since Brock Yates left......I thought Yates was an embarassment, though I miss Patrick Bedard, Casba Csere, and Rich Ceppos, who worked for both C&D and Autoweek.
Thanks.....
Old 10-28-12, 09:43 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Wow, you have a long memory!
That's how over the top ridiculous it was.

Quick Reply: I'm Sick of Car and Driver