Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just got the dumbest ticket today

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 06:28 PM
jinso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got the dumbest ticket today

I violated VC 21950(a), which is failure to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk. I was driving around in LA today and I was at a corner with a red light. I was waiting to make my right turn and I noticed to the crosswalk signal go off as I was turning. It was one of those really long crosswalks and I figured theres no way I am gonna hit anyone by going since there were people all the way at the beginning of the crosswalk. If they were in the middle already walking, of course Id stop for them. Anyone here ever get a ticket for this?? I hear the fine is worth over $200.00.

It doesnt stop there, I got fined for tinted windows too.....so Im looking at a grand total of $400-460 as my bail amount fine unless I go and get the tint removed which I should.

Thanks for reading guys
Old 10-27-12, 07:23 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's the end of the month what you expect man? these officers have to meet a certain amount in quotas, I see these pigs wait outside of our school's parking and ticket college students with tint on their windows; But in regard to your situation you are wrong in the light situation but tints is just a extra slap on the wrist and unnecessary.
Old 10-27-12, 07:32 PM
jinso
Driver School Candidate

Think there is anything I can do to fight this ticket somehow?
Old 10-27-12, 07:39 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

I got a ticket 3 months ago for driving 75mph in a 65mph area on the freeway. Thankfully, showed up to court 4 days ago but the court couldn't locate any record of the ticket.

That could be your best case scenario
Old 10-27-12, 08:28 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup! ^^^ Always best option.
Old 10-27-12, 08:37 PM
jinso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doublehh03
I got a ticket 3 months ago for driving 75mph in a 65mph area on the freeway. Thankfully, showed up to court 4 days ago but the court couldn't locate any record of the ticket.

That could be your best case scenario
Sorry, didnt quite understand the strategy....

The courts just lost your ticket? How often does that happen?
Old 10-27-12, 08:40 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jinso

Pretty much you show up and hope they messed up. Either lost the ticket, cop doesn't show up, spelled your name wrong, had the wrong date, etc, etc... If you have no defence than you got to hope you have some luck.
Old 10-27-12, 09:28 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The failure to yield to pedestrians is something I see often. Sometimes, I can spot a beat cop in pedestrian attire "walking," when in fact he is testing those who prematurely turn without regard of the pedestrian. It doesn't matter how far away they are. Once they step onto the street, they are entitle without encroachment of a vehicle to walk the pedestrian path. The cop in civilian attire won't write the ticket himself, but he will radio in to a nearby cop who will almost always be within a block to nab the driver. When in doubt, just wait for them to cross. It might cost you a little bit of time waiting at the light, but it sure beats a ticket.

And yes, this is roughly the end of the year. Holiday season means more drivers wanting to get to wherever they want to go, and cops will be more strict to enforce.
Old 10-27-12, 09:49 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jinso

Well that's the only way to beat it, other than paying the fine. You just have the hope the court either lost the ticket or the cop doesn't show up. Good luck.
Old 10-27-12, 10:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The problem with stopping for a pedestrian at the other end of the street is you risk getting rear-ended. No one expects people to stop that far in advance. So in essence, it's creating a major safety hazard to do so. I've noticed this not only at crosswalks for far-off peds, but also when coming to a full and complete stop at a regular stop sign. The person behind you will almost rear-end you because he/she isn't expecting you or anyone to actually do the full stop. At the very least, you get a close call and an angry driver behind you.
I'm surprised this hasn't come up before. I see it every week in my neighborhood.
Old 10-27-12, 11:52 PM
SurfsUP
Pole Position

Wow you guys have it really bad with the cops in Cali. Here in Vegas, most of citations are for running stop lights and speeding. I could be wrong but I've never heard of ths citation here before. And if you do get one, we have lawyers that will turn it into a parking ticket in court for a nominal fee. We have tons of lawyers, there are a few streets scattered throughout the city that have lawyer offices for blocks. Ask me I've used them a few times for some citations.

But it is end of the month and these cops get a little too happy to use their ticket machines. I live right next to a police station and know its the time of the month when I see them everywhere trying to hide. My brother in law just got one for not registering his out of state plates and not coming to full stop. This was all bs cause the pig followed him right into my gated community and in NV it is considered private property within the gates. When he went to court, the judge dismissed his citations.
Old 10-28-12, 12:02 AM
stick
Pole Position

The section states you must, "Yield the right-of-way," when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk. I would fight it. The peds were at the other side of the intersection, "x" amount of feet from you, and you traveled through the crosswalk at about "y" speed; meaning there was no chance you would hit them and you were traveling at a safe speed. The section is to ensure pedestrian safety, but there is a reasonableness standard.

Ex) Imagine a crosswalk that is 100 feet long (like some in my area) and the pedestrian is at the other end walking AWAY from you (almost to the other side), do you have to wait for them? Do you have to yield to them?

In your case, the pedestrians were walking TOWARD you. Did your action cause the pedestrians to slow their walk, stop, or put them at any risk of being struck by you? Because your answer is, "No", I would fight it. "Yield the right-of-way" can be interpreted differently.

I'm in law enforcement and I would not write this ticket unless a car almost struck a pedestrian.

Last edited by stick; 10-28-12 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
The section states you must, "Yield the right-of-way," when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk. I would fight it. The peds were at the other side of the intersection, "x" amount of feet from you, and you traveled through the crosswalk at about "y" speed; meaning there was no chance you would hit them and you were traveling at a safe speed. The section is to ensure pedestrian safety, but there is a reasonableness standard.

Ex) Imagine a crosswalk that is 100 feet long (like some in my area) and the pedestrian is at the other end walking AWAY from you (almost to the other side), do you have to wait for them? Do you have to yield to them?

In your case, the pedestrians were walking TOWARD you. Did your action cause the pedestrians to slow their walk, stop, or put them at any risk of being struck by you? Because your answer is, "No", I would fight it. "Yield the right-of-way" can be interpreted differently.

I'm in law enforcement and I would not write this ticket unless a car almost struck a pedestrian.
doesn't matter, state that to the judge and you pretty much guarantee to lose the trial. at least that's how it is here in CA. i agree it's bs and we have intersections with 5 lanes each way (so 10 overall), you can imagine how wide it is. very true most cops are understanding people and they won't bother, but base on technicality? oh yeah
Old 10-28-12, 07:50 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

When I was in Atlanta this law is in effect. Puts driving as a privilege and not a right into perspective. While I agree with the law because there are far too many bad drivers who are a danger to pedestrians, if someone is in lane 10 of a walkway and you are in lane 1. It seems silly that you would not be able to turn. But the actions of others have ruined that for us, wonderful world we live in.
Old 10-28-12, 09:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife received a ticket in a pedestrians in a crosswalk trap set up last year or so.$232 fine and 2 points.Cities and towns need the revenue.

Quick Reply: Just got the dumbest ticket today