Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Tops, Ford Bottoms Out in Latest Consumer Reports Reliability Survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 12:13 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota Tops, Ford Bottoms Out in Latest Consumer Reports Reliability Survey

Ford has dropped to the near-bottom of the latest Consumer Reports reliability survey, while Toyota’s Scion division takes the top spot.

Out of the 28 brands listed, Ford takes the 27th spot, while its Lincoln division comes in at 26. MyFord Touch, along with MyLincoln Touch have been cited as being the major setbacks faced by Ford, along with the brand’s new dual-clutch PowerShift transmission that has been fitted into many of Ford’s small cars. Along with these issues, the V8 powered Mustang has dropped below the average reliability level, and the EcoBoost lineup of engines reliability is also not recommended.

On the other end of the spectrum, the top five spots were claimed by Japanese automakers, with the top three all coming from Toyota. Scion took top honors, followed by Toyota, then Lexus, and rounded out by Mazda in fourth and Subaru in fifth. Out of 27 vehicles in Toyota’s lineup, 16 earned the highest rating possible in the survey.

Audi is creeping up the ranks, placing in at eighth, representing the top German automaker on the list, even beating some some Asian companies such as Kia and Nissan.

General Motor’s Cadillac division is the highest ranked domestic automaker on the list, finding itself in the eleventh spot, with GMC coming in at twelfth and Chevy at fifteenth, all moving up from last year. GM was the only domestic automaker to gain any position, as Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge, along with Ford, all moved down the reliability list.

Compared to five years ago, Consumer Reports auto test director Jake Fisher says that the problems in our vehicles are mostly electronic based, where as they used to be engine, transmission or vehicle hardware issues.

The data used in this reliability study is collected from Consumer Reports subscribers, and asks them to list any serious problems they’ve had with their vehicles in the prior 12 months. Over 800,000 responses came in that covered 1.2 million vehicles from the 2010 to 2012 model years.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ty-survey.html
Old 10-29-12, 12:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

no, it cant be, but i can google 1000's of media reports from past 2-3 years how Ford is now equal or better? :-)
Old 10-29-12, 08:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
no, it cant be, but i can google 1000's of media reports from past 2-3 years how Ford is now equal or better? :-)
Their engines are great. Ford has built cars with better fit and finish compared to what you found in the early 2000s. Their fit and finish, along with great engines, have been praised.

Their transmissions are the big problem. The MyFordTouch thing is second. These two need a lot of attention.
Old 10-29-12, 09:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Awesome job Mazda!

Still and always a fan of the Blue Oval! Personally I'd love if they'd drop Microsoft and shack up with Apple
Old 10-30-12, 12:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This is how it's always been and should have been two to three years ago for Toyota/Lexus. Misplaced floormats and the media should not bring down an entire company. Things are back to "normal" in the industry now.

By the way, whatever happened to J.D. Powers? Used to hear about his ratings all over the place but it's like they have fallen off the face of the earth.
Old 10-30-12, 01:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Their engines are great. Ford has built cars with better fit and finish compared to what you found in the early 2000s. Their fit and finish, along with great engines, have been praised.

Their transmissions are the big problem. The MyFordTouch thing is second. These two need a lot of attention.
Ecoboost engines are apparently not reliable and not recommended by CR.

So, bad transmissions, bad engines, bad electronics = last place.
Old 10-30-12, 04:28 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is how it's always been and should have been two to three years ago for Toyota/Lexus. Misplaced floormats and the media should not bring down an entire company. Things are back to "normal" in the industry now.

By the way, whatever happened to J.D. Powers? Used to hear about his ratings all over the place but it's like they have fallen off the face of the earth.
in the latest survey, Consumer reports topped the reliability charts whereas JDPowers bottomed out
Old 10-30-12, 05:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post List

1. Scion
2. Toyota
3. Lexus
4. Mazda
5. Subaru
6. Honda
7. Acura
8. Audi
9. Infiniti
10. Kia
11. Cadillac
12. GMC
13. Nissan
14. Mercedes-Benz
15. Chevrolet
16. BMW
17. Hyundai
18. Volkswagen
19. Jeep
20. Volvo
21. Buick
22. Mini
23. Chrysler
24. Dodge
25. Ram
26. Lincoln
27. Ford
28. Jaguar
Old 10-30-12, 06:50 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Wow @ that Top 7. I'm happy Mazda is improving their reliability, I love their cars but reliability and quality was one of their biggest weaknesses.
Old 10-30-12, 07:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS69

1. Scion
2. Toyota
3. Lexus
4. Mazda
5. Subaru
6. Honda
7. Acura
8. Audi
9. Infiniti
10. Kia
11. Cadillac
12. GMC
13. Nissan
14. Mercedes-Benz
15. Chevrolet
16. BMW
17. Hyundai
18. Volkswagen
19. Jeep
20. Volvo
21. Buick
22. Mini
23. Chrysler
24. Dodge
25. Ram
26. Lincoln
27. Ford
28. Jaguar
people diss on CR a lot, but in reality, this is how most of us would rate these cars, if you just check forums of each one of the manufacturers
Old 10-30-12, 09:31 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mordecai
Wow @ that Top 7. I'm happy Mazda is improving their reliability, I love their cars but reliability and quality was one of their biggest weaknesses.
I have had Mazdas since 1999 and the number of problems I had with them were far less than my toyota/lexus and my friends toyota/honda put together. Plus there was a joy of driving that is not available.
Old 10-30-12, 09:58 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that speaks volumes about the differences in quality of the makes and models. They can no longer blame the Vendor suppliers for the quality issues, they passed the units to go in the consumer vehicles.

Had to pick up a big wig from the airport the other day for a business meeting in my LS430. He thought the car and ride was superb and roomy, he asked me what year, I said 05'. he said "no s***t? I was thinking much newer!" he drives a 12" CTS. he didnt say too much about it
Old 10-30-12, 10:21 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Really? 27th because of the infotainment system? Some people just like to nitpick.
Old 10-30-12, 10:28 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm impressed by how Subaru has risen from barely above average several years ago to near the top under Toyota's supervision. Also impressed by how Mazda rises to near the top after it cuts its tie from Ford.
Old 10-30-12, 11:08 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Really? 27th because of the infotainment system? Some people just like to nitpick.
bad infotainment, bad engines, bad transmissions. that is not a nitpick. I am surprised that Kia topped Huyndai though.

Quick Reply: Toyota Tops, Ford Bottoms Out in Latest Consumer Reports Reliability Survey