Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Avalon reviews are stunning

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 05:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I think me and 84Cressida will agree that Avalon is first Toyota model in long time that was done with no regards to competition from Lexus... literally they had budget and here is the best they can offer.

2013 Avalon reviews are stunning-pt3lw.jpg
Old 11-05-12, 08:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The Avalon was a dramatic change from the previous one. The Camry wasn't. I like the Camry, and certainly roll my eyes at "enthusiasts" *****ing about it being #1, but compared to Honda and Nissan's efforts, Toyota hit a single, maybe a double.
No so, Toyota hit a home run with the current Camry. At the top for sales and profits, it just can't be beat right now.

The current Camry is everything Camry is about and the sales numbers reflect that. Everyone can talk all they want about the Accord or Altima, but let's not forget who is number one on the sales chart.
Old 11-05-12, 08:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think me and 84Cressida will agree that Avalon is first Toyota model in long time that was done with no regards to competition from Lexus... literally they had budget and here is the best they can offer.

The last model Avalon introduced in 2005 was no regards to budget either. The 05 Avalon introduced the Lexus/Toyota family dual VVTi, it had such unheard of Toyota available features such as Xenon lamps, coolimg seats, radar cruise control, rainsense wipers, rear sunshade, auto up windows on both driver and passenger sides. Star safety features. Also, Lexus optitron was now available.
Old 11-05-12, 08:58 AM
LexFather

So u guys have access to the budget. Please post it

Lol

Old 11-05-12, 09:08 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avalon is Toyota's way of keeping some of the upmarket sales in the family if/when:

- Someone doesn't want to or can't justify the step into the Luxury car category, but still wants some of that. Kind of like Buick was to Cadillac

- Can't really afford an ES, but find the CT/IS too small

- Keep and edge over the competition that is bringing some upmarket models in their mainstream lines, without a dedicated "luxury sub-brand"

This is how Toyota will keep Huyndai and VW at bay.
Old 11-05-12, 10:26 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No so, Toyota hit a home run with the current Camry. At the top for sales and profits, it just can't be beat right now.

The current Camry is everything Camry is about and the sales numbers reflect that. Everyone can talk all they want about the Accord or Altima, but let's not forget who is number one on the sales chart.
Congratulations to them. There are still parts of it that need to be improved, like the ridiculous recycled paper headliner that is used in sub-compact cars and the cheap, thin carpet that wears quickly and is hard to vaccum. The rear door panels also don't have the same amount of padding on them as the front, and all the door panels lost the cloth on them on base models. They took two steps forward, and three steps back with the new one in the name of lowering the MSRP. If Honda and Nissan offer better interiors at the same price, there is NO excuse for Toyota to not.
Old 11-05-12, 10:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

The new Avalon is nice; I heard nothing but positive reviews and comments on it. Good job Toyota; now how about fixing the odd looking new Camry.
Old 11-05-12, 10:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
now how about fixing the odd looking new Camry.
The styling is fine, its a best selling car. I rather like it.
Old 11-05-12, 01:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

The last model Avalon introduced in 2005 was no regards to budget either. The 05 Avalon introduced the Lexus/Toyota family dual VVTi, it had such unheard of Toyota available features such as Xenon lamps, coolimg seats, radar cruise control, rainsense wipers, rear sunshade, auto up windows on both driver and passenger sides. Star safety features. Also, Lexus optitron was now available.
my comment has nothing to do with equipment, but overall vehicle. 2006 Avalon looked old even back then.

I had 2006 Auris with HIDs, Smart Entry, autowipers/lights, etc, etc.

However there was nowhere as much attention paid overall to the complete vehicle like to this Avalon, or to CT200h for instance.

Avalon has nothing to be ashamed of compared to any car around.
Old 11-05-12, 02:50 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

The styling is fine, its a best selling car. I rather like it.
Best selling doesn't always equal nice. The new Civic is the best selling compact in the US. But I think most of us can agreed that there are better looking cars in that segment.
Old 11-05-12, 03:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Best selling doesn't always equal nice. The new Civic is the best selling compact in the US. But I think most of us can agreed that there are better looking cars in that segment.
The Camry has never been a stunner looker. Looks has never been a Camry priority. Function, low cost, reliability, and good MPG is why its the best sellar. The looks are a non issue.
Old 11-05-12, 08:08 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seriously? i think it's a horrible profusion of surfaces, textures, colors, and shapes that ultimately equals fugly.

no doubt though it's a great, large, comfortable car to drive.
Yes, the interior looks a little busy, and doesn't seem to flow well in the pictures, but it's an upgrade from the previous Avalon. And I bet it feels better in person, can't wait to see it.

Originally Posted by pman6
however, the front angle can be good looking with the Jaws grille.... other than the white lipstick-

Now this front-end is great, a much better grille. If they make this available for aftermarket, that would be sweet.

And for the record, the new Camry's rear lights are horrible, makes the whole rear end look unfinished.

Avalon looks better than the Camry, even though that front-end bottom grille is a little too much.
Old 11-06-12, 10:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

The Camry has never been a stunner looker. Looks has never been a Camry priority. Function, low cost, reliability, and good MPG is why its the best sellar. The looks are a non issue.
We were first talking about styling but ok. The XV40 and even the XV30 didn't look half bad in SE form. But this new one still looks odd in every trim level. It isn't an awful design. I just wish Toyota had used the JMD Camry here in the US instead. The new Camry had fallen behind in both the MPG and styling department.

Old 11-06-12, 04:35 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

We were first talking about styling but ok. The XV40 and even the XV30 didn't look half bad in SE form. But this new one still looks odd in every trim level. It isn't an awful design. I just wish Toyota had used the JMD Camry here in the US instead. The new Camry had fallen behind in both the MPG and styling department.
So would you pay an extra $5k - 10k so that it is a JDM Camry?
Old 11-07-12, 07:26 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
So would you pay an extra $5k - 10k so that it is a JDM Camry?
What are you talking about? Extra $5k-$10k for what? Yes it is, its basically the same Camry that we get here but the Asian/European model has different headlights and taillights.

Quick Reply: 2013 Avalon reviews are stunning