Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Running diesel on vegetable oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
We have fuel shortages here in NYC thanks to Sandy, and there's just no way to buy gas/diesel. Most gas stations are closed, and those that do have gas, have 3 hour long lines and they run out before everyone gets filled up.

I have a 6.0 powerstroke, and I still have just under half a tank, but if there is no resupply, as a last resort would it cause major issues down the line if I fill it up with... corn oil?
Ordinarily, in many states, running vehicles on homemade or home-sourced fuel is illegal since no official motor-fuel tax is being collected on it. But, since so many people were affected so bad by Sandy and are having so much trouble at conventionial fuel-stations, I wouldn't be surprised if NY and NJ relaxed that rule for a time to give some people a break under difficult circumstances.
Old 11-05-12, 09:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think states have the time to worry about whos running on what. There are mile long lanes at stations that don't have any fuel, but that are supposed to get fuel, hopefully at some point soon. For now I'm doing ok with fuel. Obviously running on corn oil is something that I would do as a very very last resort.

Also, I'm wondering if I can run it on motor oil, and what grade of oil is best.
Old 11-05-12, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Also, I'm wondering if I can run it on motor oil, and what grade of oil is best.
An interesting question. I can answer a lot of fuel-related questons, but I'm not sure about that one. ArmyofOne (Josh) could probably answer that one better than me....you might PM him and ask. But, right offhand, here's my take.......I'd be leery of it. Typical motor oil used for internal engine-lubrication is not designed to be actually burned in the cylinders as a fuel. When it does actually burn, it makes a lot of bluish-white smoke...which, going out the exhaust-manifold and pipes, would probably drive the oxygen-sensor nuts and foul up the catalytic converter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-06-12, 08:01 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think states have the time to worry about whos running on what. There are mile long lanes at stations that don't have any fuel, but that are supposed to get fuel, hopefully at some point soon. For now I'm doing ok with fuel. Obviously running on corn oil is something that I would do as a very very last resort.

you have to dilute with some sort of methanol or alchohol. i would also go as thin a weight as possible...about 0-10 or 0-20