Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you were stuck in Superstorm Sandy. What would you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-12, 10:15 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bowler wildcat

Old 11-03-12, 10:45 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any monster truck would do!
Old 11-03-12, 11:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It has to be a stock model.
That is pretty much stock. They come with Snorkels and Exhaust Extensions, the grille gaurd, camper shell, and roll cage are "optional packages" (different models come equipped different ways),

For me, I can make my own diesel fuel, its really simple, so I would say H1 all the way.
Old 11-03-12, 01:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

LX470 for me , or g500
Old 11-03-12, 03:05 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

diesel is a must, most gas stations have diesel with practically no wait and no limitation on 10 gallons

H1 for me, comes in diesel only diesel
Old 11-03-12, 04:20 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If you were stuck and had to cross a few states near the coast, what would you want to be driving?

For me, either a Mercedes G Wagon or a short bed Tacoma crew cab.
I find it truly disrespectful to have a thread and title like this. There are/were people stuck in this storm. Why would you start a thread on a hypothetical when the situation is real and relevant?

Old 11-03-12, 04:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
diesel is a must, most gas stations have diesel with practically no wait and no limitation on 10 gallons

Where do you find diesel, any particular station in Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx that has it for sure? I had to drag myself out all the way to exit 24 on i78 this morning until I found it.
Old 11-03-12, 05:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>

Good point on the stations not likely having a wait for diesel. A Hilux crew cab would be perfect. I'd still go with the Tacoma or FJ.
Old 11-03-12, 05:30 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Were the storm coming for me and my family, I'd load up the family truckster:

. . . and in 8.5 minutes, I'd be OUTTA THERE! Hurricanes, as Sandy has amply demonstrated, are nothing to wait around and mess with.
Old 11-03-12, 06:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I got caught right in the middle of Sandy, but I'm not stuck, and I was able to help myself, my family, and my neighbors - all thanks to the vehicle that I am driving.

There are things that I've learned from this hands on experience, and this is what I can advise. It is important to realize that there are three stages to dealing with a natural disaster like a storm. First there is the storm itself, then there is the immediate aftermath and then there are days to come.

And when you are dealing with this, its no time to worry about luxury, badge whoring, showing off, 0-60 times or amount of horse power. Having a vehicle that survives the storm can literally save your life, become your temporary home, and be your source of heat and power, can get you and your family to a shelter, get you food, etc.

With that in mind, first your vehicle must be able to survive the disaster. You want it to be rugged in case it gets hit with debris, then you want it to sit reasonably high and have as little electronics as possible so it can survive a flood, and you also want it to be a traditional diesel that is rugged, bulletproof, noisy and stinky - none of those fancy new gimmicks.

If you vehicle had survived the disaster, you want to be able to drive around in during the immediate aftermath. Therefore it is most important to have fueled up right before the disaster. The second most important thing is to have rugged tires. There will be a lot of debris on the roads, and you don't want tires that are soft and easily punctured by nails, etc. Then its important to have good ground clearance and preferably all wheel drive.

Thus far it probably sounds like a monster truck, H1 or some ridiculous terminator mobile might be the best choice... but it is certainly not. Unless you are a rich and selfish snob, and want to get the hell out of the area ASAP, and can afford to pay for a hotel room somewhere far away and can afford not to work - then by all means, get a monster truck and get the hell away, we wont miss ya.

But for the rest of us, its important to consider many additional factors.

1) The vehicle must have as much space as possible. You may need to save your family members, neighbors, pets, just random people. You might also need to spend a night or even several nights in the vehicle. A monster truck with two bucket seats isn't going to serve these purposes.

2) The vehicle must be accessible. If you are trying to save elderly or disabled people, they wont be able to get in if your vehicle has a ridiculous lift. You must have good compromise between ground clearance and accessibility.

3) Your vehicle must be maneuverable. Some streets are going to be completely blocked with debris, and other streets that were once one-way narrow roads and now even narrower, and partially blocked with debris, and now with two way traffic. Having a super wide H1 or terminator mobile that takes up the entire road and can't let other vehicles pass is not a good idea.

4) If you plan on staying in the area and continue going to work, you must have a vehicle that has reasonable fuel economy. With fuel shortages to follow in the days to come, even the most capable offroader with 60" tires is going to be as useless as a flooded Yaris if it gets 5mpg and runs out of fuel in a day.

Right now I'm driving my Ford E350 diesel. It is the only one of my vehicles that survived, even after having about 6" of water inside of it. It is normally a vehicle that isn't very appealing, but its a great compromise of requirements I've listed above. It looks like it came back from a war zone, and it continues to help me and those close to me get through the misery brought by Sandy, and I'm just blessed to have it in my possession.
Old 11-03-12, 06:53 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Och, it's good to hear that you're doing alright. I had you in my thoughts after reading your disturbing post about you eating your words. And it's amazing to see you now post with such a positive attitude about helping others. I commend you sir.

A friend of mine came to visit me from New York, and he was lucky to avoid any damage to his house in Flushing. He tells me that the death count is going to be much higher than currently estimated; a friend of his is helping out in Staten Island, and he says that they are pulling out a lot of bodies from homes.
Old 11-03-12, 07:17 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-03-12, 08:03 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Probably a Lexus RX350 AWD.
Old 11-03-12, 10:56 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Where do you find diesel, any particular station in Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx that has it for sure? I had to drag myself out all the way to exit 24 on i78 this morning until I found it.
I belong to several facebook groups and a girl is posting up hot spot for diesel fuel, no wait, no 10 gallon limitation
Old 11-03-12, 11:03 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I got caught right in the middle of Sandy, but I'm not stuck, and I was able to help myself, my family, and my neighbors - all thanks to the vehicle that I am driving.

There are things that I've learned from this hands on experience, and this is what I can advise. It is important to realize that there are three stages to dealing with a natural disaster like a storm. First there is the storm itself, then there is the immediate aftermath and then there are days to come.

And when you are dealing with this, its no time to worry about luxury, badge whoring, showing off, 0-60 times or amount of horse power. Having a vehicle that survives the storm can literally save your life, become your temporary home, and be your source of heat and power, can get you and your family to a shelter, get you food, etc.

With that in mind, first your vehicle must be able to survive the disaster. You want it to be rugged in case it gets hit with debris, then you want it to sit reasonably high and have as little electronics as possible so it can survive a flood, and you also want it to be a traditional diesel that is rugged, bulletproof, noisy and stinky - none of those fancy new gimmicks.

If you vehicle had survived the disaster, you want to be able to drive around in during the immediate aftermath. Therefore it is most important to have fueled up right before the disaster. The second most important thing is to have rugged tires. There will be a lot of debris on the roads, and you don't want tires that are soft and easily punctured by nails, etc. Then its important to have good ground clearance and preferably all wheel drive.

Thus far it probably sounds like a monster truck, H1 or some ridiculous terminator mobile might be the best choice... but it is certainly not. Unless you are a rich and selfish snob, and want to get the hell out of the area ASAP, and can afford to pay for a hotel room somewhere far away and can afford not to work - then by all means, get a monster truck and get the hell away, we wont miss ya.

But for the rest of us, its important to consider many additional factors.

1) The vehicle must have as much space as possible. You may need to save your family members, neighbors, pets, just random people. You might also need to spend a night or even several nights in the vehicle. A monster truck with two bucket seats isn't going to serve these purposes.

2) The vehicle must be accessible. If you are trying to save elderly or disabled people, they wont be able to get in if your vehicle has a ridiculous lift. You must have good compromise between ground clearance and accessibility.

3) Your vehicle must be maneuverable. Some streets are going to be completely blocked with debris, and other streets that were once one-way narrow roads and now even narrower, and partially blocked with debris, and now with two way traffic. Having a super wide H1 or terminator mobile that takes up the entire road and can't let other vehicles pass is not a good idea.

4) If you plan on staying in the area and continue going to work, you must have a vehicle that has reasonable fuel economy. With fuel shortages to follow in the days to come, even the most capable offroader with 60" tires is going to be as useless as a flooded Yaris if it gets 5mpg and runs out of fuel in a day.

Right now I'm driving my Ford E350 diesel. It is the only one of my vehicles that survived, even after having about 6" of water inside of it. It is normally a vehicle that isn't very appealing, but its a great compromise of requirements I've listed above. It looks like it came back from a war zone, and it continues to help me and those close to me get through the misery brought by Sandy, and I'm just blessed to have it in my possession.
Very good info, certain places have obviously been hit harder then others, but I find it odd that people are driving around in their cars to charge the cell phones

Quick Reply: If you were stuck in Superstorm Sandy. What would you drive?