Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend: 2012 Buick LaCrosse vs. 2012 Hyundai Azera vs. 2013 Lexus ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 07:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Agreed, though from my experience the new ES interior is an improvement over the outgoing model in design and materials. But I can't help feeling Lexus targeted a lower price for the new ES more than making it a better ES.

But in this comparo it was easily the best car. Objectively it was the quietest, fastest, and most fuel efficient, and cheaper than the Buick. I would bet it's also better engineered and better made than either the Hyundai or the Buick. Case in point, the Hyundai "makes" 293 HP and has a better power to weight ratio but it was still slower and less efficient than the ES. Despite being slightly heavier, it was also noisier.

The $120 price difference also does not constitute a better value, unless you factor in the extra equipment in the Azera.
ES is in very price sensitive market... a lot more so than LS and even GS.

Did you sit in new Avalon? I wonder how do you think they compare in real life.
Old 11-07-12, 07:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
ES is in very price sensitive market... a lot more so than LS and even GS.

Did you sit in new Avalon? I wonder how do you think they compare in real life.
No I haven't been in an Avalon yet, have they hit dealers yet? Toyota interiors from my experience are designed more to look good in photos than feel good in person. Case in point the Camry's rock hard but fake "stitched" plastic bolsters on either side of the center console.
Old 11-07-12, 07:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im not sure that as tested price is correct. Their test car had nav and still had an ATP in the 36K range?
Old 11-07-12, 10:33 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

THIS. Is the biggest let down. It is absolutely unforgivable that Lexus would use materials as ***** as these. It's really pathetic and they belong in a Camry/Avalon NOT an ES. The Design and layout are fine. It's the materials used. Using these rather than the type in the GS was a big mistake. If Lexus uses these same ones in the IS, there is a huge chance I will not upgrade to it despite my love for the exterior.
Totally agree, the tan area is way too cheap plastic for its class.
So is the door area.
Old 11-07-12, 11:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

What the heck are you guys talking about regarding the cheap tan plastic? How can you even see or feel that piece without being in the car? It looks perfectly fine in the photo. Cheap materials usually mean they FEEL cheap to the touch (hard, rough, glossy). I see none of that in the phtoo. Low-gloss plastic contrasting nicely with the dark wood or piano black is apparent here and a very nice look. I must be off on my own in saying I think the look and materials appear to be just right for the new ES.
What's really going on here is people are not used to seeing beige or tan at that spot. Usually it's black. Well, some of the finest luxury cars have light-colored seats, carpets and center consoles. The ES is striving for that high-end look and it's to be applauded. Whether the owner actually keeps those bits and pieces clean is a whole different story.
The rest of the article is a piece of crap. The Buick looked dated when it first appeared and is in another decade compared to these new-comers.
Old 11-07-12, 11:31 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Eh, it's a lame comparo. I went and checked out the new ES at my local dealer not too long ago, and I liked it much more than the previous generation. Would definitely pick it over the others.
Old 11-07-12, 11:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

the centerstack is hard and rough but rather than glossy it is dull. Run your nail on it and you will feel how rough. The fit and finish is a bit lackluster too. Softer materials are in my older IS than in this victim of cost cutting. The ES330 for example had the best fit and finish of any ES. Panel gaps were non existent, materials used contrasted and flowed seamlessly. The design albeit was nothing exciting. But this just isn't befitting a Lexus of this caliber.
Old 11-08-12, 12:21 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if the Azera's HP rating was much higher than it actually is. The 2GR-FE is SAE certified. Are GM's and Hyundai's engines?

And I do wish Lexus used more of the softer plastics in the new ES, even if it would've cost more. I hope the IS leans more toward the GS in terms of materials.

Last edited by 84Cressida; 11-08-12 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-08-12, 03:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im not sure that as tested price is correct. Their test car had nav and still had an ATP in the 36K range?
I wondered about the tested price of the ES350 too. Base price is $36,100 add nav and other popular options and its over $40k easily.
Old 11-08-12, 07:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

i highly doubt this rather weak piece of 'journalism' will affect ANY sales at all. people shopping for these cars don't read motortrend.
Old 11-08-12, 09:43 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I think the new ES is a homerun for Lexus. The design is so elegant, especially in black.

My brother has a new LS and he thinks it looks almost as good as his car. If things go well in the next year, we might think about getting the wife one.
Old 11-08-12, 12:30 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

I had some seat time in the Azera and I will say you boys better not sleep on this one..... The black leather interior I was in with the pearl white exterior was a lovely contrast.
The look of the interior imo looks better than the Genesis.

That being said I have 2 Hyundais in the stable (Sonata, GenCoupe) as well as an Altima and 7series and I felt that driving the Azera felt too much like a larger Sonata.

The ride quality of the Azera was good but NOT Lexus luxury like. Honestly I like Hyundai but the Azera should NEVER have one this comparison!
Old 11-08-12, 02:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Eh, it's a lame comparo..
Yes I agree. I think the really issue is that Motor Trend continues to compare Buick and Hyundai to Lexus, this has to stop, these two cars and brands behind the cars do not compete with Lexus. Its a black mark to compare them with Lexus.

The car that Motor Trend should be comparing the Avalon.

The ES350 on the otherhand deserves to compared to the Lincoln MKZ and the Cadillac XTS.

While I kinda a agree that the ES350 does not further the ES model, it should be noted that a hybrid model is now available and the car rides on a longer wheelbase, so maybe it does further the ES model?
Old 11-08-12, 08:38 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes I agree. I think the really issue is that Motor Trend continues to compare Buick and Hyundai to Lexus, this has to stop, these two cars and brands behind the cars do not compete with Lexus. Its a black mark to compare them with Lexus.

The car that Motor Trend should be comparing the Avalon.

The ES350 on the otherhand deserves to compared to the Lincoln MKZ and the Cadillac XTS.

While I kinda a agree that the ES350 does not further the ES model, it should be noted that a hybrid model is now available and the car rides on a longer wheelbase, so maybe it does further the ES model?
Both the Azera and LaCrosse are ES wannabes, so it makes for a good article to get clicks from when you compare the underdog lesser brand challengers to the top dog. It gets even better when you let the most underdog challenger win, even if you self profess that there isn't a good reason for that.
Old 11-08-12, 09:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much ad revenue did Hyundai give to MT for this "article"? This article was complete rubbish and a disgrace to journalism!

There should be outrage and backlash against MT for such appalling lies and contradictions. The ES objectively placed 1st is just about every category, yet they rated it as the worst car.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: 2012 Buick LaCrosse vs. 2012 Hyundai Azera vs. 2013 Lexus ES 350