Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Damn, L-tuned Dead, TRD re-focusing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 06:47 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way this is going GS430 will actually increase in value a few year from now. As it will still be the fastest Lexus in it's model lineup even after 5 years later.

hmm...maybe I will keep my GS430 a few years longer now.
Old 12-10-02, 06:56 PM
LexFather

And I count myself part of the at least 95% of the public that neither mods their cars nor wants to--I want it perfect off the lot. I was happy with the performance of my M Roadster, I like the L-Tuned stuff that I got installed before delivery, but I would never have ANYTHING touched after-the-fact. No clear lenses, flurourescent-painted calipers, unecessary metal rods across the engine bay, etc.
And most people are like that. I don't think L-tuned got any PRESS or advertising either. Hardly any in magazines and no ads. It's Lexus own fault.

Old 12-10-02, 07:31 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Yes, I completely agree that Lexus marketing did a TERRIBLE job with L-Tuned. The last time I was in for service I was looking at the brochures in the waiting area. In addition to each of the model folders they had pamphlets on accessories, extended warranties, and the Mark Levinson line. There actually was a little blip about L-Tuned in the GS accessory book, but you really wouldn't find it unless you were looking for it (like I was). I never saw any TV or print advertising for L-Tuned. I wonder if they really expected it to just become an overnight sensation on its own?
Old 12-10-02, 08:49 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What did they expect?

Originally posted by Iceman

Now I'm a little confused. Who takes their C320 to AMG for mods? By this logic L-Tuned should be making a killing because it is no longer available from the factory, only aftermarket.

Long before AMG models were offered from dealerships (talkin like 6~7 years ago) people would get their Mercedes and bring them to AMG in Costa Mesa, CA for mods. I knew someone who got a SL500 and dropped it off at AMG for a few weeks for bodykits rims and some other things.

I don't know if people still do things like that today, as AMG-loaded MBs can be bought directly from the dealer. However I believe AMG can still do consumer mods. If I'm looking for a C32 I would probably just bring it to AMG for the Supercharger but get other brand wheels and kit. Just dont' wanna be the next same-old C32 that rolls off the lot (but the C32 is great looking from the factory already)
Old 12-10-02, 09:58 PM
LexFather

Globe, from my understanding, AMG was bought by Mercedes back in 1992 or something. Their first car was the C32. Any modding additionally has to be done by Hamman or Lorinser etc etc.

Old 10-16-03, 11:25 AM
LexFather

Crap.

Old 10-16-03, 12:39 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Globe, from my understanding, AMG was bought by Mercedes back in 1992 or something. Their first car was the C32. Any modding additionally has to be done by Hamman or Lorinser etc etc.
It is true that AMG is now owned by the DaimlerChrysler.
If you have enough cash you can still get custom stuff done at AMG in germany. For example the C43 was the official AMG version but there have als been some "one off" C55's with the E55 engine.
Also custom interiour and upgrades can be done if pockets are deep enough.
I am not sure this can be done in the US but I am sure it's done at the German HQ.
I have a AMG promotional vid somewhere from 1 or 2 years ago showing it.
Old 10-16-03, 01:17 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Crap.
Big CRAP.

I need two L-Tuned badges (got 1 -- thanks Manuel!) -- and Steve doesn't carry them anymore ;(
Old 10-18-03, 10:23 AM
shftup
Intermediate

If my memory is correct, the C36 AMG, was the first True AMG out there. Had an AMG hand built 6cyc, that had something like 260hp, with 265torque..........came with 17" monobocks...very cool car.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is true that AMG is now owned by the DaimlerChrysler.
If you have enough cash you can still get custom stuff done at AMG in germany. For example the C43 was the official AMG version but there have als been some "one off" C55's with the E55 engine.
Also custom interiour and upgrades can be done if pockets are deep enough.
I am not sure this can be done in the US but I am sure it's done at the German HQ.
I have a AMG promotional vid somewhere from 1 or 2 years ago showing it.
Old 10-18-03, 05:37 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

is this a good thing performance wise?
more superchargers?
what?
Old 10-18-03, 05:51 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like TOM'S has gone belly-up also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried to buy some things on internet and saleguy told me this..........................
Old 10-19-03, 03:41 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lexkost
Looks like TOM'S has gone belly-up also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried to buy some things on internet and saleguy told me this..........................
That would suck!!
Old 10-19-03, 10:28 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was just a matter of time.....
Old 10-19-03, 11:49 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GS4fun
It was just a matter of time.....
Damn so L-tuned is really dead now ??? I see this was first posted almost a yr ago...

Shawn
Old 10-19-03, 05:53 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone needs to send this thread to Lexus/Toyota corporate so they can get a hint.

Quick Reply: Damn, L-tuned Dead, TRD re-focusing