Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Brings RS4 Avant Over For Evaluation, “Hand Raisers” Demand Importation

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 04:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Audi Brings RS4 Avant Over For Evaluation, “Hand Raisers” Demand Importation

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...d-importation/
Being the bearer of bad news isn’t always fun, but sometimes its necessary. Despite sending Audi fanboys into a frenzy with photographs of a real, live RS4 Avant, the likelihood of this car being imported is next to zero. Hit the jump for more pontificating from your favorite enfant terrible know-it-all wagon hater.

Rather than trot out arcane explanations of certification costs, CAFE, market positioning and the like, here’s the strongest argument for why Audi has no intention of bringing this car over. Car companies regularly bring in single examples of vehicles they sell elsewhere. They do it to let executives get a taste of product sold elsewhere, if not for the sheer novelty of having something weird. Honda Canada used to have a yellow Beat kicking around their offices – it was never going to be sold here, but boy was it popular when it came time to sign out cars for the weekend.

Don’t believe Volkswagen does that? He’s a VW employee explaining the process, while simultaneously quashing any hope of the car coming here despite numerous posters insisting that Audi officials “hinted” that the RS4 was “greenlit” for American consumption.

“I did a double take when I saw the RS4 in our garage. Honestly, I wouldn’t look too far into it. There’s been all kinds of stuff here like the Polo, Scirocco, A1, etc. that didn’t have a chance of being sold in the U.S. I know it’s blasphemy, but a QS5 would likely sell in much higher numbers than a RS4 Avant. Wouldn’t be that much slower either.”

Ok, I know what you’re thinking; Mercedes-Benz sells the E63 wagon and Cadillac sells the CTS-V. And look at all those people on Vortex insisting that they too will buy one if only Audi would bring it here.

Cadillac only needed to sell 5 CTS-V wagons to break even on the whole endeavor, so the project was naturally greenlit. As far as the E63 goes, we can consider it a marketing exercise and nothing more. Mercedes keeps a brown E63 wagon in the press fleet for the exact same reason that Audi’s RS4 mule has a giant sticker on the rear window proclaiming “You just got beat by a wagon”. It’s a great way to curry favor with car geeks and generate “buzz” for free. Many S4 Avants were bought by men looking to placate their demands of their spouses for a luxurious but practical family car. At the time, Audi’s crossover range wasn’t really available yet and the Avants were the sole option. An S4 could be passed off as the “most expensive” version (a must-have for status hungry affluent types) with the husbands not cracking on about the car’s performance chops.

Now that the Real Housewives of Suburbistan have moved on to the Q7 (god forbid they should have to drive a Q5) Avant sales have dried up to the point where the half the lineup has been axed in favor of the Allroad. Then again, you never know who buys these things…
Old 11-14-12, 04:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Now that the RS5 is in the U.S., I don't see why the RS4 with the same drivetrain would take much money to certify for U.S. consumption.

Is true that there are much less people who would buy a RS wagon then RS coupe.
Old 11-14-12, 05:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Brilliant little wagon.

I agree, with C63 AMG, M3, and ISF running amok here in the States, Audi has no case to not reintroduce the RS4 whether it be the old 4.2L V8 or new 4.0L TT V8. Just bring it
Old 11-15-12, 08:01 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really disappointing, the RS4 Avant has always been one of my favorite wagons... Looks like I'll have to get a place over in Europe to have one of these, among other cars, in my garage...
Old 11-15-12, 02:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Bring me one back, its considered carry on luggage size anyway
Old 11-15-12, 02:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It's too bad that wagons don't sell here in the U.S. They're practical with sedan-like ride and handling but perceptions about wagons aren't going to change here anytime soon.

I've been new car shopping and looked at the new 2013 Audi All-Road. Basically an A4 Avant raised up a bit. Nice car except for an unusual two tone treatment around the wheel arches and rear end, supposedly to give it a more aggressive look. You can get it painted to match the body color for $1,000!! We ended up getting a Q5.
Old 11-15-12, 04:27 PM
Getrag
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a former B5 S4 owner the idea of a RS4 in the states is amazing.

Hopefully, they don't de-tune the car for the US market.

I wish the engine was boosted though.
Old 11-15-12, 05:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Getrag
As a former B5 S4 owner the idea of a RS4 in the states is amazing.

Hopefully, they don't de-tune the car for the US market.

I wish the engine was boosted though.
The high revving 4.2L's days are numbered. The new twin turbo 4.0L V8 should start replacing most S/RS models within a few short years