Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feeling Dated?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 04:07 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Feeling Dated?

I got my first look at the latest LS yesterday and suddenly felt the feeling that last years' LS suddenly looks dated with the new spindle grill.
I rarely use the word dated and think some others throw it around unnecessarily but thats the feeling I had.

I didn't feel thay seeing the 4GS because the car doesn't look that good to me. Properly modded makes it nice but stock its just.......

I didn't feel that way about the new ES because it still looks a lot like all former ES cars, just better.

This was differnt. It was dramatic. I like all previous LS models and the LS460 best. Always felt any of them were nice enough to be driven forever. But the spindle on the new LS has thrown me off course.

Then it got worse with this thought....has the spindle made all previous Lexus models outdated?

What do you think?
Old 11-19-12, 04:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

so basically new 2013 LS looks so good that old one looks outdated? :-).

Well... sure... but to me 3GS looks more outdated compared to 4GS than 2013 LS to 2011.
Old 11-19-12, 07:30 AM
LexFather

Regg great point. I also see the new "face" of Lexus and it immediately makes the older models seem, well "old". Whereas in the past the designs were all related and the grills used the same basic shapes, with the change to this new spindle and the new interiors its now easy to spot an older Lexus.

Old 11-19-12, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

lexus finally brought branding consistency across the line with the spindle grill. it really does make everything prior obsolete from a design standpoint. it's a great move by lexus.
Old 11-19-12, 08:43 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also feel like with the new approach lexus has taken it does make the older models seem a littler "older" than they might be. On the upside I am really liking the new approach by Lexus.
Old 11-19-12, 09:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Why does it matter if older models look old? that's just the progression of life. Not to mention the Spindle Grill is the new face of Lexus shedding "it's for old people" mantra. So yes its gonna happen. The only thing dated on my 2IS is the navigation. Other than that it's a wonderful relevant car
Old 11-19-12, 10:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the new grille execution is done very well on CT, RX, LX, ES, and LS imho. GS is the only problem imho.

and yes, for a facelift i think lexus did a fantastic job on the LS. especially the interior, it's just so darn good
Old 11-19-12, 10:51 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Why does it matter if older models look old? that's just the progression of life. Not to mention the Spindle Grill is the new face of Lexus shedding "it's for old people" mantra. So yes its gonna happen. The only thing dated on my 2IS is the navigation. Other than that it's a wonderful relevant car
Agreed, your car looks great! The Vossen wheels helps the car look more modern too.
Old 11-19-12, 12:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I checked out the latest LS 2 days ago too, the interior is fantastic, night and day improvement to the 07' car.

As of feeling dated, I think anytime if there is a dramatic design change to be superior that you prefer, it would automatically make the old design looks and feels dated.
Old 11-19-12, 01:42 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't see any progression in the spindle-grille equipped Lexus in the design standpoint, they are just different. Does 4GS look more modern than 3GS? In my opinion it doesn't, it just looks different. So are the new LS, new ES, and the facelifted RX. You can see an obvious modernization from e30 to e46 to e90 bmw 3-series, or from 1LS to 2LS to 3LS. But the evolution has slowed down in the recent years, if not stagnated at all. I feel like there was a fast progression in exterior design between the 80s and the 90s and even early 2000s. But the most recent two generations of almost any brands vehicles have no apparent advancement, except probably Kia and Buick.
Old 11-19-12, 02:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I really don't see any progression in the spindle-grille equipped Lexus in the design standpoint, they are just different. Does 4GS look more modern than 3GS? In my opinion it doesn't, it just looks different. So are the new LS, new ES, and the facelifted RX. You can see an obvious modernization from e30 to e46 to e90 bmw 3-series, or from 1LS to 2LS to 3LS. But the evolution has slowed down in the recent years, if not stagnated at all. I feel like there was a fast progression in exterior design between the 80s and the 90s and even early 2000s. But the most recent two generations of almost any brands vehicles have no apparent advancement, except probably Kia and Buick.
the 2013 ls is a facelift. actually a lot of people think the 1ls and 2ls look very similar. even lexus admitted that they didn't evolve enough from 1ls to 2ls. i think it really depends on brand and model.
Old 11-19-12, 07:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All I know is this, the new LS makes me want one now. Lexus did need a dramatic design cue. Audi has the huge open mouth grill. BMW has the angel headlights and kidney grill. Mercedes has the 3 point star.
Now Lexus has the spindle.

Stuff just got real interesting.
Old 11-20-12, 01:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It's as simple as this... instead of making minor styling tweaks, Lexus is making major styling tweaks. So they are definitely going to stand out more and risk making the provious style look "old." Audi went through the exact same thing in 2006 when they facelifted the A4 to gape in front. The rest of the car remained, but the front was entirely different. It's not so much the shape itself with these cars, but the level of change made.

As a footnote, I believe the last LS was about as plain and conservative as a front end could be on a car. It now has a life and personality.
Old 11-20-12, 01:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
All I know is this, the new LS makes me want one now. Lexus did need a dramatic design cue. Audi has the huge open mouth grill. BMW has the angel headlights and kidney grill. Mercedes has the 3 point star.
Now Lexus has the spindle.

Stuff just got real interesting.

are you trying to tell me that i will want to ditch my 2IS and get 3IS, no cost sparred? That sucks.
Old 11-20-12, 10:03 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Ah, so Reggie is being lexified after being bitten by the Predator's mouth

I love the new LS (inside+out) but waiting for the LF-CC.

Not to rehash on an old topic but spindle grills looks somewhat out of place on the GS simply b/c the *** was too weak (imo).

It's the pretty-girl-with-no-***-syndrome

Quick Reply: Feeling Dated?