Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports lambasts Cadillac's new Cue system

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 09:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Consumer Reports lambasts Cadillac's new Cue system

Consumer Reports lambasts Cadillac's new Cue system

Well the good news (for Ford) is that MyFord Touch may not be the most hated automotive technology around the Consumer Reports water cooler anymore. After getting its hands on a Cadillac ATS and XTS to test out the new Cue infotainment system, CR had some pretty harsh words for the next-gen infotainment system.

In the video below, the reviewer had problems using the capacitive buttons and referred to the system as being "fussy" multiple times, and the big rip came when he said that MyFord Touch (a technology that has been slammed by CR since its inception) is easier to navigate than Cue.

Oddly enough, CR recently posted a video on the Tesla Model S and seemed to praise the car for its lack of buttons and *****. Which is it guys? Do we have a buttonless future to look forward to or not?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/21/c...ew-cue-system/
Old 11-21-12, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I-Drive, MMI, CUE, SYNC, MyTouch............you name it. I haven't yet seen one of those kind of systems I actually like, and wasn't difficult to use.
Old 11-21-12, 09:14 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I-Drive, MMI, CUE, SYNC, MyTouch............you name it. I haven't yet seen one of those kind of systems I actually like, and wasn't difficult to use.
How do you feel about Lexus Remote Touch?
Old 11-21-12, 09:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

there was an video about capacative buttons in Avalon and how they worked hard to make them usable and better than normal buttons, as supposed to worse.
Old 11-21-12, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
How do you feel about Lexus Remote Touch?
If you are talking about the center-screen system with the mouse-like console-controller, I'm not terribly impressed with that system, either. Bumps in the road (especially with the more stiffly-sprung Lexus models like the CT200H) can toss your right hand around (or your left-hand with right-hand drive Lexus models) when you are trying to steady and aim it.

Voice-commands, of course, can help some, but, with most of the systems, they have to be set-up for it (in a complex manner).

Of course, I freely admit I'm mostly old-school, and usually prefer traditional controls. I don't look on a car as a rolling electronic info/entertainment center, and drive accordingly.
Old 11-21-12, 10:04 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are talking about the center-screen system with the mouse-like console-controller, I'm not terribly impressed with that system, either. Bumps in the road (especially with the more stiffly-sprung Lexus models like the CT200H) can toss your right hand around (or your left-hand with right-hand drive Lexus models) when you are trying to steady and aim it.

Voice-commands, of course, can help some, but, with most of the systems, they have to be set-up for it (in a complex manner).

Of course, I freely admit I'm mostly old-school, and usually prefer traditional controls. I don't look on a car as a rolling electronic info/entertainment center, and drive accordingly.
Why are you fiddling with it while you are driving? Are there not redundant (and traditional) controls for the audio and climate control systems so that you do not have to work with the Remote Touch while driving?

All modern cars are starting to offer such control interface systems, even if they do not offer the voice and/or capacitive touch capabilities of MyFord Touch / CUE. My wife's base 2013 Honda Accord LX has a large control dial in the middle of the audio control panel. It functions much as a computer mouse would to navigate through menus to change Bluetooth settings, automatic door-lock settings, automatic headlight sensitivity settings, etc. But all of those controls can -- and should -- only be fiddled with when the car is stopped; there are still redundant, traditional dials for the audio and climate control systems.

Last edited by Sulu; 11-21-12 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-21-12, 10:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Consumers Reports is really lame these days, I watched the video, the guy seemed to have no problem using the CUE in the demo.

CR doesn't like remote like touch systems either, well the people buying the cars that have them seem to really like them.

Old fashioned ***** and controls are boring, and CR should realize that their magazine is starting to feel dated as well.
Old 11-21-12, 10:17 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Consumers Reports is really lame these days, I watched the video, the guy seemed to have no problem using the CUE in the demo.

CR doesn't like remote like touch systems either, well the people buying the cars that have them seem to really like them.

Old fashioned ***** and controls are boring, and CR should realize that their magazine is starting to feel dated as well.
They have no choice
Old 11-21-12, 10:19 AM
LexFather

They have no choice
lol exactly. There is no option for another interior

Old 11-21-12, 10:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

We just bought a Audi with MMI and even after getting somewhat familiar familiar with the basic controls it is a PITA to make a lot of simple/basic adjustments, especially while driving.
Old 11-21-12, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They have no choice
Sure they do, don't buy the car that has it. Not all Lexus models have remote touch?

The trouble is, nobody wants to pay a premium for a Buick or an Acura and everyone wants the Benz or BMW. If people didn't like these features, then Lexus and the like would not offer them.

I have used Ford Touch and recently CUE, it was not hard to use at all.
Old 11-21-12, 10:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We just bought a Audi with MMI and even after getting somewhat familiar familiar with the basic controls it is a PITA to make a lot of simple/basic adjustments, especially while driving.

You didn't notice this on a test drive? Or while doing reasearch?
Old 11-21-12, 10:49 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rental Ford Escape once with the MyTouch crap and was totally and completely lost. Way too complicated, had to reach a bit to hit the screen, and over bumpy Chicago roads it was difficult to even get my finger on what I wanted to hit in the first place. These systems all stink.

i-Drive on the other hand in my wife's X5d is very easy to use. The iDrive controller has evolved and there are hot buttons right next to it, and also the 1-2-3-4-5-6 preset buttons on the dash are all programmable to take you to other commonly used functions. They have a nice tactile feel to them, and there's just the right balance of manual controls and *****.

Sure the Consumer Reports guy had no problems using the Caddy "CUE" system in their LAB not when he's driving and needing to keep his hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. How bout busy in traffic going over potholes and stuff. Right.... It becomes unworkable. I never bothered touching the MyTouch junk in my rental Escape because traffic was so bad in Chicago and the roads were also horrible. Steering wheel controls were also a complete mess and very confusing also.
Old 11-21-12, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sure they do, don't buy the car that has it. Not all Lexus models have remote touch?

The trouble is, nobody wants to pay a premium for a Buick or an Acura and everyone wants the Benz or BMW. If people didn't like these features, then Lexus and the like would not offer them.

I have used Ford Touch and recently CUE, it was not hard to use at all.
Again people have no choice. Remote touch and similar systems were designed to "stream line" the cabin, as well as increase ergonomics (your hand naturally rests were the Remote Touch is), and recessed navigation is not as prone to sun glare. People still buy BMW's for the stigma of buying a BMW not because of iDrive.

And only the IS, GX, and LX still have touch screens. So tell that to the droves of people who buy RX's and ES's not to buy the latter. They could care less about Remote Touch. They buy those two cars because of the many positives that have made these two models successes

Last edited by Hoovey689; 11-21-12 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-21-12, 10:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I had a rental Ford Escape once with the MyTouch crap and was totally and completely lost. Way too complicated, had to reach a bit to hit the screen, and over bumpy Chicago roads it was difficult to even get my finger on what I wanted to hit in the first place. These systems all stink.

i-Drive on the other hand in my wife's X5d is very easy to use. The iDrive controller has evolved and there are hot buttons right next to it, and also the 1-2-3-4-5-6 preset buttons on the dash are all programmable to take you to other commonly used functions. They have a nice tactile feel to them, and there's just the right balance of manual controls and *****.

Sure the Consumer Reports guy had no problems using the Caddy "CUE" system in their LAB not when he's driving and needing to keep his hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. How bout busy in traffic going over potholes and stuff. Right.... It becomes unworkable. I never bothered touching the MyTouch junk in my rental Escape because traffic was so bad in Chicago and the roads were also horrible. Steering wheel controls were also a complete mess and very confusing also.
Yeah I had trouble with the Ford as well...I do agree the newer versions of iDrive are much MUCH better than the first gens. I think they are actually pretty easy now.

Still can't figure out Command and whatever Audi uses

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports lambasts Cadillac's new Cue system