Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sandy Disaster and what new Toyota car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-12, 05:50 PM
duncan73
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandy Disaster and what new Toyota car?

Have tried several times in the last few days to share the demise of my beloved 2001, LS430,blk/blk. The best car I have ever owned in my life and that includes my '72 Silver Shadow, LWB which I recently donated to the Rolls Royce Foundation. And thank God for that or it would have been salvaged as well. Also lost a restored 1965 Harley Pan Head, a 1996 Road King and a 1977 Shovel Head. My wifes '97 Buick La Sabre was also lost and it was 25 miles away.

We live in Red Hook, Brooklyn, NY, about a block from the waterfront, which is the home port to the Cunard Line's Queen Mary 2, et.al. Our basement and part of the first floor was under water; what a mess! I want to say quite clearly that the USAA Insurace Company was outstanding in every measure and sincerely empathetic when communicating with us. They immediately paid eighty percent of the projected settlement until they received the titles and upon receipt paid the remainder. And that's even before they picked up the cars. What a company! I could burden you with more issues, but here is what I really need from you, my friends.

I want to stay in the Toyota family and have been considering the Camry and the Corolla.
Q. What would be the better choice?
Q. 2012 vs 2013? Either model.
Q. What trim line would you recommend.
Q. Four or Six cyl.
Q. Is it worth going through AAA, Costco or other companies that supposedly fix the price.
Q. Is it better to lease or buy? I cannot deduct a lease.
Q. What options would you definately suggest. Such as Remote Start, etc.

Please feel free to offer any information or suggestion you think would help in resolving the choice of a vehicle. And downstream," God willing and the creek don't rise", I'll be back in the Lexus family again.
Old 11-24-12, 06:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Sorry for your losses but glad you are safe-sound and the insurance is there.
Going to move this to the Car Chat section.
Old 11-24-12, 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If you are coming from an early model LS I would stick with the Camry. The corolla may cause some shock
Old 11-25-12, 12:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Corolla is pretty long in the tooth. I'd go with the Camry V6
Old 11-25-12, 07:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by duncan73
Have tried several times in the last few days to share the demise of my beloved 2001, LS430,blk/blk. The best car I have ever owned in my life and that includes my '72 Silver Shadow, LWB which I recently donated to the Rolls Royce Foundation. And thank God for that or it would have been salvaged as well. Also lost a restored 1965 Harley Pan Head, a 1996 Road King and a 1977 Shovel Head. My wifes '97 Buick La Sabre was also lost and it was 25 miles away.

We live in Red Hook, Brooklyn, NY, about a block from the waterfront, which is the home port to the Cunard Line's Queen Mary 2, et.al. Our basement and part of the first floor was under water; what a mess! I want to say quite clearly that the USAA Insurace Company was outstanding in every measure and sincerely empathetic when communicating with us. They immediately paid eighty percent of the projected settlement until they received the titles and upon receipt paid the remainder. And that's even before they picked up the cars. What a company! I could burden you with more issues, but here is what I really need from you, my friends.

I want to stay in the Toyota family and have been considering the Camry and the Corolla.
Q. What would be the better choice?
Q. 2012 vs 2013? Either model.
Q. What trim line would you recommend.
Q. Four or Six cyl.
Q. Is it worth going through AAA, Costco or other companies that supposedly fix the price.
Q. Is it better to lease or buy? I cannot deduct a lease.
Q. What options would you definately suggest. Such as Remote Start, etc.

Please feel free to offer any information or suggestion you think would help in resolving the choice of a vehicle. And downstream," God willing and the creek don't rise", I'll be back in the Lexus family again.
Glad to hear USAA is treating you right.

I can tell you about Costco and AAA pricing. From what I found, it's a starting point--sometimes a good one. I used that on a car purchase this year, but found that it didn't tend to be the best price, and there was more room for negotiation--either at that dealer or another. And I also found typical dealer BS-- one dealer gave me their AAA price, I physically came in to meet him and I confirmed it -- actually, HE confirmed it in HIS handwriting -- then when I was ready to buy, BOOM the price was $1,000 higher.

I didn't but from them, but took their BS price that I was assuming was the lowest, and shopped it around for another $600 off.

Good luck to you.
Old 11-25-12, 08:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Maybe Camry hybrid for the city?
Old 11-25-12, 11:22 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If i were you i would get an avalon, even the last generation was a really solid car. I've been trying to find a 2006 touring, but i can't seem to find one
Old 12-02-12, 05:47 PM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get a used LS? For the price of a Camry you could be in a pretty low mileage 430 and probably even a 460. I bought a 38k mile 04 LS430 3 years ago for $20k. It was in perfect condition and has given us another 47k of trouble free miles.....all for the price of a Corolla. Why not let someone else suffer the big depreciation? Get a CPO from a Lexus dealership if you feel you need a warranty. An LS is ten times the car of either a Corolla or a Camry.

BTW I just bought an 05 E55 Mercedes with 18, 000 miles for $30,000. It stickered for $89,000 new and is in perfect condition. Pre-owned is the way to go IMHO.
Old 12-02-12, 06:13 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Costco and AAA is useless to go through. Their prices are higher than if you talk directly to the fleet manager and straight up ask them what is the best deal they can do.
Old 12-02-12, 07:03 PM
thomrashid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corolla is pretty long in the tooth.
Old 12-03-12, 09:50 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

USAA has a car buying service. i use them every time i buy a car. my last purchase (ram) i saved $6,000...just fyi.
Old 12-03-12, 10:06 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

camry for sure. Its the bread an butter for toyota, so they will always try to make it really good. My sister owns a the new camry and one of my friend's owns the most recenty corolla; having sit in both cars, I can say the camry is a much more comfortable place, especially if your coming from an LS.

I'm going to have to agree with previous posters though, why not a used LS? or the new avalon, that would be a much easier transition for you coming from an LS instead of going to the camry.
Old 12-04-12, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
USAA has a car buying service. i use them every time i buy a car. my last purchase (ram) i saved $6,000...just fyi.
I tried to use this when I bought my IS250; but I got a better deal myself. USAA told me that they shoot for the Edmunds True Market Price; I got a much better price than that.