Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti confirms all-new sports sedan will debut in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Infiniti confirms all-new sports sedan will debut in Detroit

Infiniti confirms all-new sports sedan will debut in Detroit

While the automotive world may currently be focused on the Los Angeles Auto Show, those looking to stay ahead of the curve have their sights set farther down the road. One such automaker is Infiniti. On the first of the LA press days, the Japanese luxury brand has announced an all-new model to debut in Detroit this January.

According to Infiniti, an all-new model will be unveiled at the 2013 North American International Auto show. The debut will be accompanied by a performance from world renowned Cirque Du Soleil as well as a live stream simulcast of the event.

It's unclear whether Infiniti will be showing a redesign of the G sedan, which has been spotted testing, or a new sub-G compact performance-luxury four-door. We will know for sure on January 14 when we bring you news form the Infiniti stand.

The presentation will also include an map of Infiniti's strategy moving forward, by president Johan de Nysschen. De Nysschen was appointed in July of this year, following the move of Infiniti's headquarters to Hong Kong. According to Infiniti, the luxury brand is aiming at a "new era of inspiration, growing its market share, with the strategic expansion of its business worldwide." This all-new vehicle will be an integral element to any future expansion for the Japanese automaker.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/28/i...ut-in-detroit/
Old 11-28-12, 02:11 PM
Hoovey689

So the question lies, which (new G or 3IS) will garner more attention at Detroit

- I already know my answer
Old 11-29-12, 12:41 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So the question lies, which (new G or 3IS) will garner more attention at Detroit

- I already know my answer
The new Corvette will steal the show.

IMO the BMW 3 series is going to face some SERIOUS competition over the next couple of years. Cadillac isn't playing around with its ATS, its a very sharp looking car and all the auto mags claim it handles sharper than the BMW. Personally I think the ATS is a much better looking car with a nicer interior/dash layout. BMW has been resting on its laurels, and IMO the new model is inferior in terms of interior appointments/layout compared to the previous model.

It'll be interesting to see what Infiniti and Lexus throw in the ring, because this is such a competitive segment. BTW, in terms of style and interior appointments, Audi is still at the top of class IMO, the new A4 is just beautiful both inside and out.
Old 11-29-12, 12:53 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The new Corvette will steal the show.

IMO the BMW 3 series is going to face some SERIOUS competition over the next couple of years. Cadillac isn't playing around with its ATS, its a very sharp looking car and all the auto mags claim it handles sharper than the BMW. Personally I think the ATS is a much better looking car with a nicer interior/dash layout. BMW has been resting on its laurels, and IMO the new model is inferior in terms of interior appointments/layout compared to the previous model.

It'll be interesting to see what Infiniti and Lexus throw in the ring, because this is such a competitive segment. BTW, in terms of style and interior appointments, Audi is still at the top of class IMO, the new A4 is just beautiful both inside and out.
I'm sorry but the ATS is one fugly car.
Old 11-29-12, 07:04 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehh03
I'm sorry but the ATS is one fugly car.
^^ somewhat agree.....it still a "like it or hate it" car...
Old 11-29-12, 07:05 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The Corvette will absolutely steal the show. I hope the Chrysler team is ready to duke it out with the Vette.

I'm very excited for Infiniti. I think the dose of refinement it will get by using the Mercedes chassis for the G will do wonders for the car.
Old 11-29-12, 01:56 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like the second decade of the 2000's will be the decade of the under dogs. Caddi, Infiniti, Hyundai, Audi, and Buick to name a few are bringing the wood to our top brass, namely Lexus, BMW, Toyota, Merc, etc. The next 10 years will bring an interesting fight in the auto world. Hopefully, we as consumers, will benefit greatly.
Old 11-29-12, 02:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Seems like the second decade of the 2000's will be the decade of the under dogs. Caddi, Infiniti, Hyundai, Audi, and Buick to name a few are bringing the wood to our top brass, namely Lexus, BMW, Toyota, Merc, etc. The next 10 years will bring an interesting fight in the auto world. Hopefully, we as consumers, will benefit greatly.
Audi is already largest world wide :-).

Another thing to note - people keep mentioning Hyundai competing with Toyota/Honda. Everywhere. Whenever Hyundai releases new car, it is considered attack on Toyota/Honda in media.

Is that really true? I dont think so - Hyundai is growing, but Toyota is growing faster right now :-). Who are they hurting the most? Other manufacturers like Italians and French in Europe and Americans in the USA.
Old 11-30-12, 04:29 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I love it!!!! The days of putting out a product just to have something out, are about done. The only downfall is as a buyer, I keep thinking it might be better to wait a while to buy something. Keep reading about all these great cars that are on their way (maybe... GSF).
Old 11-30-12, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not sure this is the right direction for Infiniti to go right now. They have enough sports sedans covered with both the G and M series (though not necessarily inthe compact class). And, in the compact class, they tried (twice) marketing the G20...and neither one was successful. The problem is that they need a real flagship to compete with the Lexus LS 460and 600H models...something they haven't had since the Q45 (which was not terribly successful either). But just because the Q45 didn't sell, that doesn't mean that a good replacement wouldn't.
Old 11-30-12, 11:05 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I've asked a few salesmen about the V37 over the past year and as usual, most are clueless or will lie. Except for one, in which he did me a great favor! Can't wait to see it in person come January!
Old 11-30-12, 11:21 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure this is the right direction for Infiniti to go right now. They have enough sports sedans covered with both the G and M series (though not necessarily inthe compact class). And, in the compact class, they tried (twice) marketing the G20...and neither one was successful. The problem is that they need a real flagship to compete with the Lexus LS 460and 600H models...something they haven't had since the Q45 (which was not terribly successful either). But just because the Q45 didn't sell, that doesn't mean that a good replacement wouldn't.
I always liked the Q45 as a kid, especially the third generation(2001-2006). My parents never bought one as they didn't consider it be at the level of a Jaguar XJ or BMW 7er(QX56 owners). Had a lot of innovations in it back in 2000/2001 and if they added more to it, they could've done much better with it. It was the first car in the United States to have a backup camera(innovated by the 1991 Soarer) and a voice-activated GPS navigation system.

I always wondered why a SEVERE lack of advertising from Infiniti for the Q45, as I would never see one on the road nor a commercial for one. I'd always see ads for the G20, G35, FX, QX4/56, and the I30/5, while never any for Q. I doubt if they even green-light a worthy replacement right now, anyone would see it before 2018.
Old 11-30-12, 03:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think they are looking to grow the G and the M and need a base level Infiniti. They have more SUVs than sedans so I think this is a good idea. Most likely it will be a bit more economical. Nissans and Infinitis get horrible gas mileage. They need to improve this ASAP
Old 11-30-12, 10:01 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think they are looking to grow the G and the M and need a base level Infiniti. They have more SUVs than sedans so I think this is a good idea. Most likely it will be a bit more economical. Nissans and Infinitis get horrible gas mileage. They need to improve this ASAP
Low displacement turbo's are slated for the G, and the Altima hybrid is supposedly gonig to get a supercharged hybrid set-up
Old 11-30-12, 11:20 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that turbo will get worse mpg with more aggressive driving style. NA engine, not so much.