Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 4-Series Concept Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 02:18 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BMW Video Walks Us Around the New Concept 4-Series Coupe

Earlier today, BMW blew the covers off its newest study the Concept 4-Series Coupe, which between us, isn’t much of a concept in the traditional sense of the word, unless you consider a car with bespoke bumper treatments and a full leather interior worthy of the 'concept' moniker
That said, the 4-Series a 99 percent production ready version of the car that will begin to replace the 3-Series Coupe in BMW's range from 2014. The concept will bow at the Detroit Motor Show in mid-January.

Longer, wider and lower than today's 3-Series Coupe, the new 4-Series' body-shell sits atop the same platform and running gear as the F30 sedan.

BMW did not tell us what engine resides behind the more prominent double kidney grille, but it did share a video in addition to the first official pictures of the concept car that we've already shown you.

You can check out the HD video for yourself right after the break.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/12...concept-4.html
Old 12-05-12, 02:21 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
8-Series V12 super coupe next??!! I can only dream
Rumored is that the M8 is being in works.

BMW M1 Successor Will Be Called The M8: Report

Mercedes-Benz has the SLS AMG, Audi has the R8, and even Lexus has its LFA, but BMW, a brand that prides itself on building some of the best driving machines on the planet, is without a dedicated sports car. That’s all set to change in 2014 when the automaker releases its i8 plug-in hybrid sports car, though that model will cater to a very specific niche and will unlikely satisfy the legions of fans dying for a successor to the legendary M1.

BMW bosses have fervently denied that a successor to the M1 is in the works, yet that hasn’t stopped reports of a new sports car being developed by BMW M from surfacing every now and then.

The last we heard, the new M division sports car would be launched in 2016, two years after the i8, and it would come with a bespoke platform and turbocharged V-8 engine delivering more than 600 horsepower.

A new report published by Automobile Magazine indicates the car is still on track for a 2016 launch, and it will go by the name M8 (the M1 name is apparently too sacred). A bespoke platform looks to be out of the question, however, so the i8’s lightweight aluminum and carbon fiber chassis will likely get the nod. Thankfully, the i8’s three-cylinder engine and plug-in hybrid system won’t be kept, as BMW M engineers are said to be favoring a V-8 option.

By the time the car arrives, it will have a second-generation Audi R8 to contend with, as well as a new SLC AMG from Mercedes-Benz. The latter is expected to serve as the replacement for the current SLS AMG and may even adopt all-wheel drive.

Sadly, BMW’s preference for the M8 means we’re likely to see plans for an affordable Z2 roadster shelved. Apparently sports cars just aren’t selling like they used to, so BMW will be focusing more on its new range of front-wheel-drive models instead
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-the-m8-report
Old 12-05-12, 03:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty boring.
Old 12-05-12, 03:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Rumored is that the M8 is being in works.
That's great news!

Looks pretty boring.
that's just the "homage" concept a few years ago. Nothing was really supposed to come of it. If I had to guess, once the i8 bows, the M8 would be a combination of i8/6-Series cues
Old 12-05-12, 03:26 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very well put together!
Old 12-05-12, 06:31 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Why did BMW decide to split the 3series and create a 4series coupe?
Old 12-05-12, 06:55 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only complaint would be the headliner on that 4 series gives it a sleazy 70s lounge feel....
Old 12-05-12, 08:50 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Is it just me? I'm wondering what the hell is going on with those vents on the front bumper and the rear end exhaust... Totally disgusting in my opinion. As mentioned earlier, those cup holders and that awkward stitching are out of place.

As far as everything else, nice!

Last edited by Squirrelz; 12-05-12 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 08:53 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Do want...
Old 12-05-12, 09:50 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exterior design is awesome. Very original treatment with the lower front and rear fairings.

The interior is horrible! What is up with all of the materials and the silly detailing around the cupholders. Really? It looks like it's intended for the Southwest US market.
Old 12-05-12, 11:30 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

BMW sure knows how to do tail lights (and overall exterior designs, for that matter).

The new 5 series tail lights are the sleekest looking in its lass (IMO)

These 4 series tail lights look phenomenal. They flow beautifully with the rest of the body to give the car a very aggressive look from behind.
Old 12-06-12, 12:05 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

The interior looks so much better than the 3 series ( which was the major downfall of the F30). Hopefully the actual production coupe will retain the fantastic interior of the concept.

IMO, this is by far the most beautifully designed current BMW I have laid eyes on. And hopefully it will handle better than that overweight 6 series and not be as overpriced.

Watch this fly off the dealer lots.

( this is the only BMW that might tempt me over to the dark side)

Last edited by natnut; 12-06-12 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-06-12, 12:29 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

The interior shown is Individual trim.
Old 12-06-12, 06:05 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Why did BMW decide to split the 3series and create a 4series coupe?

This is BMWs very plan for the 3-4-Series. Make a 3-series sedan, a 2-door 4-series and a 4-door coupe version of the 4-series.
Old 12-06-12, 06:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
The exterior design is awesome. Very original treatment with the lower front and rear fairings.

The interior is horrible! What is up with all of the materials and the silly detailing around the cupholders. Really? It looks like it's intended for the Southwest US market.
its a concept... rest assured that unless you pay well over $60k, yours will never look like that :-)

Quick Reply: BMW 4-Series Concept Leaked