Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insideline: 2013 Avalon Hybrid: 46 City MPG of awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 09:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Paper stats. But a lot of Toyota leathers are fairly low grade and feel so coated with various treatments that they're not much better than something like NuLuxe
It still not acceptable for the ES to have standard fake leather while the Toyota has real leather standard.
Old 12-07-12, 10:04 AM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It still not acceptable for the ES to have standard fake leather while the Toyota has real leather standard.
Maybe to people that don't own a Lexus or don't really know anything about cars. Different expectations for magazine racers and people not in the market. There was no huge deal made about Germans doing the same for decade.

Now it's a problem that leather is an option? What about when Lexus offered cloth standard and leather was an option?

Where is the praise when Lexus sells semi analine leather? Leather dashes? Various leathers?

No lets beat them up for doing what the Germans do but not beat up the Germans for doing it!

Nuluxe is the new cloth. Get over it.

Old 12-07-12, 10:21 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done Toyota. I think the 17" wheels fitted to the Avalon make all the difference in ride quality, road noise and fuel economy compared to the ES300h. Lexus needs to stop giving the ES any sporty pretensions and return it the formula that made the '02 ES so successful.
Old 12-07-12, 10:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Maybe to people that don't own a Lexus or don't really know anything about cars. Different expectations for magazine racers and people not in the market. There was no huge deal made about Germans doing the same for decade.

Now it's a problem that leather is an option? What about when Lexus offered cloth standard and leather was an option?

Where is the praise when Lexus sells semi analine leather? Leather dashes? Various leathers?

No lets beat them up for doing what the Germans do but not beat up the Germans for doing it!

I have no problem with Lexus offering nuluxe, I just have an issue with the Toyota Avalon having leather standard while the ES has nuluxe standard.

And the idea that nuluxe is the new cloth is false, its simply cost cutting. The Tacoma has the nuluxe option and cloth as standard.
Old 12-07-12, 11:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I have no problem with Lexus offering nuluxe, I just have an issue with the Toyota Avalon having leather standard while the ES has nuluxe standard.

And the idea that nuluxe is the new cloth is false, its simply cost cutting. The Tacoma has the nuluxe option and cloth as standard.
simple solution, buy Toyota next time, not Lexus, right?

Besides Softex and Nuluxe are not the same, just like Toyota and Lexus leather is not the same. I wish it was the same... sadly it isnt.
Old 12-07-12, 11:55 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Iv'e seen both the new ES and Avalon up close in person and I'm very impressed by both parties. I have to say though, the new Avalon made the bigger impression on me though. Either way, both similarly shared platforms are much better IMO from the previous generations. Kudos to Lexus/Toyota!
Old 12-07-12, 12:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So if the Toyota Land Cruiser came with standard leather seats with seat warmers and the Lexus Lx570 came with nuluxe seats and optional seat warmers, you would not have an issue?
Old 12-07-12, 12:54 PM
LexFather

So if the Toyota Land Cruiser came with standard leather seats with seat warmers and the Lexus Lx570 came with nuluxe seats and optional seat warmers, you would not have an issue?
You know this is my fault. In a thread commending the Avalon the first gotdamn post is you finding another way to make a slight at Lexus. I should not have responded and just laughed.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Old 12-07-12, 01:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You know this is my fault. In a thread commending the Avalon the first gotdamn post is you finding another way to make a slight at Lexus. I should not have responded and just laughed.

Sorry for wasting your time.
I was just stating my issue with the nuluxe. I won't keep going on about it as I have just made my opinion known.
Old 12-07-12, 01:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I sure hope next gen LC takes after Avalon when comparing to its Lexus family.

ES350 gets plenty of standard features that Avalon does not, such as moonroof, auto-dimming mirrors with puddle lights, LED DRL's, 10-way drivers seat, etc, etc... in fact, plenty people will complain now that it is too close in the price to ES350.

I doubt that Softex in Tacoma or Tacoma in general can compare to anything in any Lexus, but ok...i guess you can take 6 character word and keep repeating it over and over and over :-).

I wish Rav4 got more stuff like Avalon, although thats probably going to be the case with Highlander... good for Toyota.
Old 12-07-12, 01:49 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take on the standard leather in the Avalon but optional in the ES is that the Avalon is a niche model to the brand (because most people paying that kind of money would be buying from a premium nameplate already) so they can't afford to offer too many options, thereby making the car come almost always fully loaded, whereas the ES is the brand's bread and butter so they can offer it with more option levels to fit different budgets and needs.
Old 12-07-12, 02:10 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I sat in the new Avalon at the LA Autoshow last weekend. I'm very impressed! It's a huge upgrade, IMO, over the out going version and there were a lot of people who were checking it out actually. I think it's going to sell very well. Very comfortable interior Hybrid model with 46mpg sounds awesome!
Old 12-07-12, 04:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

To me the ES has opportunities with the door panels and the area around the gearshift. I find the dash amazingly well built. Buick is a clear step or two behind with interior materials.

Also an ES will hold up better over time than an Avalon.
Again it's not the design or fit and finish, it's the cheapo interior. Thinly padded doors, paper thin glove box, cheap version of remote touch, door/window switches and that center console. It's so unbefitting a Lexus it's rather appalling really
Old 12-07-12, 11:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I just spent some time in the new Avalon today and I was blown away. This car is not like any other Toyota... not even close! The only bad part about the new Avalon is it makes the new Camry look like toilet paper. The two cars look like they came from two different companies. Now, either the Avalon is that good, or the Camry is that bad (I think it's both). Regardless of said comparison, the Avalon is a no-question winner and raises the company's credibility. About the only thing I didn't care for was the gimmicky and gaudy chrome interior trim. It looks cheap and tacky in a Cadillac and it looks the same in a Toyota.
P.S. Gaping grille did not look bad at all in person.
Old 12-08-12, 02:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I just spent some time in the new Avalon today and I was blown away. This car is not like any other Toyota... not even close! The only bad part about the new Avalon is it makes the new Camry look like toilet paper. The two cars look like they came from two different companies. Now, either the Avalon is that good, or the Camry is that bad (I think it's both). Regardless of said comparison, the Avalon is a no-question winner and raises the company's credibility. About the only thing I didn't care for was the gimmicky and gaudy chrome interior trim. It looks cheap and tacky in a Cadillac and it looks the same in a Toyota.
P.S. Gaping grille did not look bad at all in person.
it seems that Calty is set to design rest of Toyota interiors... they also did new Rav4.

Quick Reply: Insideline: 2013 Avalon Hybrid: 46 City MPG of awesome!