Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insideline: 2013 Avalon Hybrid: 46 City MPG of awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 06:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Insideline: 2013 Avalon Hybrid: 46 City MPG of awesome!

Well, Insideline had review of new Avalon hybrid and it is the most positive Toyota review they have ever written.

The new 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid, then, is not only quiet and efficient — it has some dynamic ability and an upscale demeanor.

It is, quite simply, in a class by itself.
Those considerations aside, the reality of the Avalon's fuel-sipping effectiveness punched us straight in the face when this large, comfortable sedan laid down a 46.5 mpg average on our 106.1-mile city loop. During two weeks we covered a total of 1,050 miles of mixed driving and recorded a 38.3 mpg average. This is a genuinely fuel-efficient luxury sedan — period.

Regardless of its source, acceleration reliably follows throttle input and there's always a smooth swell of torque on tap at lower speeds. It's relatively quick, too. Ours went from zero to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds (7.4 seconds with a 1-foot rollout as on a drag strip) and whirred through the quarter-mile in 15.7 seconds at 90.3 mph. That's only 0.2 second behind the 2012 Hyundai Azera, which is powered by a 293-hp 3.3-liter V6 and rated at 23 mpg combined.
Avalon engineers stole a move from the Lexus playbook by creating safe-room silence inside. At 59.8 decibels the Avalon recorded one of the lowest 70-mph cruise noise readings we've measured in any car in recent memory — including such costly equipment as the Bentley Continental GT (61.6 decibels) and the Audi A8 L (60.9 decibels).

Accordingly, there's a clear effort to move the Avalon above its segment mates in design and materials. Chrome bezels and accents dominate the detail work to the extent that you'll be thrilled to own a pair of polarized sunglasses for knocking down glare. Brightwork on this scale has never before graced a Toyota interior. Materials, too, are decidedly premium. Leather seats are standard across trim levels, while Limited models get perforated leather.

Stitched leather is present on the shifter, steering wheel and dash and there's a distinct absence of hard plastic surfaces. Overall interior quality looks and feels commensurate with the Avalon's price.

Yes, you'll pay more for the 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid than for some cars with which it loosely shares a segment. But when it comes to matching the Avalon's mix of efficiency, solitude and comfort, few will compete.

46 MPG in the city, 7.4s 0-60.
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/ava...full-test.html
Old 12-06-12, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Hate to be the one to say it, but the Avalon is a nicer, more luxurious car than the ES.
Old 12-06-12, 07:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I like a lot about the new Avalon except the gaping grill. The race to have the most prominent grill on the street is nuts.
Old 12-06-12, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hate to be the one to say it, but the Avalon is a nicer, more luxurious car than the ES.
So bloody predictable.
Have pics of your Lexus yet?

The Avalon seems to have come of age this go round. Great job Toyota.

The ES is fantastic in its own right.

Old 12-06-12, 07:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Hate that gaping grill too.

Stitched leather is present on the shifter, steering wheel and dash and there's a distinct absence of hard plastic surfaces. Overall interior quality looks and feels commensurate with the Avalon's price.
what an absolute insult to the ES. Lexus should be ashamed of themselves. I hate that cold hard rough plastic center console with passion
Old 12-06-12, 07:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

what an absolute insult to the ES. Lexus should be ashamed of themselves. I hate that cold hard rough plastic center console with passion
The Toy has standard leather while the lexus has standard Nulux.
Old 12-06-12, 08:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear, those stats are awesome!

The comment about there being lots of glare though is not good, IMO I hate interiors that have too many shiny bits and pieces which causes a hassle in sunny or bright conditions.
Old 12-07-12, 05:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I guess you could argue that the Avalon is Toyota's flagship sedan and the ES is Lexus' entry level hence a difference in some interior quality. On the other hand at their price points the L should top the Avalon by a bit. The new ES is selling well, I'm sure the Av will do the same. Both are nice afforts overall IMO
Old 12-07-12, 06:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Great to hear, those stats are awesome!

The comment about there being lots of glare though is not good, IMO I hate interiors that have too many shiny bits and pieces which causes a hassle in sunny or bright conditions.
i dont think comment was negative or that there is actual glare... just figure of speech to show how nice interior is.
Old 12-07-12, 07:09 AM
LexFather

Lexus is not immune to the Yen or rising costs. They are also promoting NuLuxe for being environmentally friendly than leather.

Germans have offered pleather all this time and seems to not be an issue with consumers. You want leather pay for it.

Contrarily Lexus has offered semi-analine leather for years now and its never leveraged on the internetz as a positive vs some of the competition which uses a less intensive leather process.

I was stunned at how good NuLuxe1 was in the CT, it didn't bug me as I thought it would.

Old 12-07-12, 08:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm amazed is that quiet.59.8 decibels is fantastic.Especially on a new design vehicle.
Old 12-07-12, 08:45 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Paper stats. But a lot of Toyota leathers are fairly low grade and feel so coated with various treatments that they're not much better than something like NuLuxe
Old 12-07-12, 09:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Lexus is not immune to the Yen or rising costs. They are also promoting NuLuxe for being environmentally friendly than leather.

Germans have offered pleather all this time and seems to not be an issue with consumers. You want leather pay for it.

Contrarily Lexus has offered semi-analine leather for years now and its never leveraged on the internetz as a positive vs some of the competition which uses a less intensive leather process.

I was stunned at how good NuLuxe1 was in the CT, it didn't bug me as I thought it would.
I wasn't talking about leather vs NuLuxe, my issue is the plastics. Even worse than the 2007-2012 center console. The ES is a poll bearer for the brand, and the materials (not design/ergo etc.) used in today's Buick's are better now than that of the ES. The 2006 model had the best materials used in an ES i've ever seen. All high quality and no panel gaps. Fit and finish was spot on. This cost cutting has gotten out of control
Old 12-07-12, 09:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

wow. i rate this the best toyota ever.
Old 12-07-12, 09:57 AM
LexFather

I wasn't talking about leather vs NuLuxe, my issue is the plastics. Even worse than the 2007-2012 center console. The ES is a poll bearer for the brand, and the materials (not design/ergo etc.) used in today's Buick's are better now than that of the ES. The 2006 model had the best materials used in an ES i've ever seen. All high quality and no panel gaps. Fit and finish was spot on. This cost cutting has gotten out of control
To me the ES has opportunities with the door panels and the area around the gearshift. I find the dash amazingly well built. Buick is a clear step or two behind with interior materials.

Also an ES will hold up better over time than an Avalon.

Quick Reply: Insideline: 2013 Avalon Hybrid: 46 City MPG of awesome!