Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spitballs flying between Nissan and Fiat

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 07:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Spitballs flying between Nissan and Fiat

Spitballs flying between Nissan and Fiat

At the 2012 LA Auto Show, Fiat brand chief and recently crowned marketing genius, Olivier François, attempted to distance the Fiat 500e from other electric vehicles, asking rhetorically, "Isn't ugliness the worst kind of pollution?" Nissan has apparently taken issue with these comments, feeling slighted for what it considers digs at the Leaf's styling. In a recent interview with Automotive News, Nissan's marketing chief Simon Sproule shot back, "Let's face it, Fiat has not shied away from controversial styling themselves," he continued, "many would describe many of their products as visual pollution." Ouch.

Sproule says that while the 500e is a "me-too" product, made only to appease US emissions regulations, the Leaf is a serious effort at producing an EV. The Nissan marketing boss points out that the Japanese automaker has invested billions in EV development and production facilities, while Fiat will lose $10,000 on every 500e sold.

However sales of the Leaf in the US are down five percent. Nissan sold just 8,330 Leaf's so far this year, but Sproule contends that it has less to do with styling, and more with the charging infrastructure. Sproule also thinks that Nissan hit a balance between styling and practicality with the Leaf: "It's still very recognizable as a five-seat hatchback, fully functioning, absolutely competitive with the packaging of the Golf of any other mainstream vehicle." For a segment where efficiency is king, isn't that what matters most?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/06/s...ssan-and-fiat/
Old 12-06-12, 08:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

this makes it more fun. I love when they go back and fourth
Old 12-07-12, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nissan has apparently taken issue with these comments, feeling slighted for what it considers digs at the Leaf's styling.
The Leaf, IMO, though still not my styling cup of tea, is actually handsome compared to the competing Mitsubishi i-Miev.

Old 12-07-12, 09:55 AM
LexFather

The Leaf isn't good looking at all and some people want alternative energy vehicles that look weird (leaf) and some want to drive some that look conventional (fiat).

What's the issue? Different cars for different crowds.

Old 12-07-12, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The Leaf isn't good looking at all
You gotta admit, though (don't you?), that it sure beats the Mitsu's styling.....although I understand the original topic was Leaf vs. Fiat, not the Mitsu.....and that styling is subjective.

I actually find the 500 rather cute-looking, though, like you, I find it far too small a car for my tastes. But its size and easy-parking (like the Mitsu) comes in handy in dense-traffic urban regions.

and some people want alternative energy vehicles that look weird (leaf) and some want to drive some that look conventional (fiat).
Look at what is arguably the most successful alternate-fuel car of all time (the Toyota Prius). Has there ever been a Prius in any version that looked conventional? Not in my book.
Old 12-07-12, 04:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I actually like the MiEV lol
Old 12-08-12, 09:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Me too lol....

Old 12-08-12, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
One can like the car's mechanics (or, rather, should I say electronics?) without necessarily liking the way it looks. Styling, of course, is subjective...but about the only place I would drive a car looking like that would be to the Barnum and Bailey Circus. It would be just as much at home there as the size-15 clown-shoes I wear.
Old 12-09-12, 05:18 AM
guzmanword
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah,though still not my styling cup of tea, is actually handsome compared to the competing Mitsubishi i-Miev