Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota #1 world's R&D company

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 01:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Toyota #1 world's R&D company

BRUSSELS (Jiji Press)--Toyota Motor Corp. reemerged as the global leader in research and development investment in fiscal 2011, according to the European Union's survey report.

With an investment total of 7.75 billion euros (10 billion dollars), Toyota climbed to the top of the 2012 "EU Industrial R&D Scoreboard" covering the world's top 1,500 companies.

The company bounced back from fourth in the previous year's rankings, according to the survey results compiled by the European Commission based on companies' accounting data for fiscal 2011.

Toyota was the top R&D investor on the 2009 and 2010 scoreboards.

In the 2012 rankings, U.S. software giant Microsoft Corp. came in second with an investment total of 7.58 billion euros, up from third, followed by German automaker Volkswagen AG with 7.2 billion euros, up from sixth.

Meanwhile, Swiss drug maker F. Hoffmann-La Roche, the 2011 scoreboard leader, fell to seventh place.

Besides Toyota, 11 Japanese companies were among the top 50 companies in terms of R&D investment, including Panasonic Corp., at 13th; Honda Motor Co., at 14th; Sony Corp., at 18th; Nissan Motor Co., at 20th; and Hitachi Ltd., at 24th.

The top 50 list also included 18 U.S. and 15 EU companies.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T121207002912.htm
Old 12-07-12, 01:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

With all that R&D you'd think we'd have some Turbo 4's, 6's and 8's by now! (I know the turbo 4 is coming)
Old 12-07-12, 01:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
With all that R&D you'd think we'd have some Turbo 4's, 6's and 8's by now! (I know the turbo 4 is coming)
If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess (just improve it till you can't lol).

Hondas even worse. Thankfully those new Earth Dreams are replacing that ancient J-series v6
Old 12-07-12, 01:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

they probably would if they thought it made sense :-)

people forget these things cost extra to the consumer.
Old 12-07-12, 05:19 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

you took the words out of my mouth. You'd think we'd also have newer battery technology that wasnt the same as in the first prius 12 years ago.

Last edited by RXSF; 12-07-12 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 05:55 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad most of Toyota's additional R&D costs seem to have gone to areas that don't excite the enthusiasts, i.e. more efficient manufacturing processes, ways to improve reliability and serviceability, better assembly quality, etc., so their new model/engine/chassis/technology's update cycles end up being longer than the competition, resulting in the frustration shown in the posts above.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-07-12 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 06:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
you took the words out of my mouth. You'd think we'd also have newer battery technology that wasnt the same as in the first prius 12 years ago.
if there was something better, they would have used it... a lot of money is spent by toyota in new battery tech, thats why they pump money into R&D. Afterall, Toyota will sell 1.4 million hybrids this year and nearest competitor will sell 15x less.

i am sure you wouldnt want them to use something that will crap out in 5 years like lion batteries will... but we cant have it all, for now.
Old 12-07-12, 08:06 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Too bad most of Toyota's additional R&D costs seem to have gone to areas that don't excite the enthusiasts, i.e. more efficient manufacturing processes, ways to improve reliability and serviceability, better assembly quality, etc., so their new model/engine/chassis/technology's update cycles end up being longer than the competition, resulting in the frustration shown in the posts above.
So you don't want efficient manufacturing processes (that will keep prices down even as more technology goes into the cars), and better reliability and serviceability, and better assembly quality (that would keep the costs of ownership low)?

Must an independent company like Toyota fall in line with other companies' engine updating schedules? Could it be that Toyota's engines were that good 10 years ago that they are still ahead of the game now, and the reason that other companies have had to update their engines twice already is because they are still trying to catch up to Toyota?

Or, perhaps as you hinted at, Toyota has been updating their engines, but in ways that are not visible to the common consumer. Perhaps Toyota has been working to minimize noise, vibration and harshness, not to mention friction. That would all improve the engine without getting the "enthusiast" all excited.
Old 12-07-12, 08:12 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
So you don't want efficient manufacturing processes (that will keep prices down even as more technology goes into the cars), and better reliability and serviceability, and better assembly quality (that would keep the costs of ownership low)?

Must an independent company like Toyota fall in line with other companies' engine updating schedules? Could it be that Toyota's engines were that good 10 years ago that they are still ahead of the game now, and the reason that other companies have had to update their engines twice already is because they are still trying to catch up to Toyota?

Or, perhaps as you hinted at, Toyota has been updating their engines, but in ways that are not visible to the common consumer. Perhaps Toyota has been working to minimize noise, vibration and harshness, not to mention friction. That would all improve the engine without getting the "enthusiast" all excited.
I was simply providing an explanation to the frustration shown by some of the posters above. When I said "too bad" I meant it in a sarcastic way because Toyota actually does what it does best well but it just happens not to be what pleases the enthusiasts.