Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will your next car feature Bluetooth-enabled, self-adjusting seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 08:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Will your next car feature Bluetooth-enabled, self-adjusting seats?

Will your next car feature Bluetooth-enabled, self-adjusting seats?

At one time, recently at that, the 22-way adjustable seat was a marvel – especially since we didn't know our own bodies even had 22 different ways to be seated comfortably. Automotive supplier Faurecia plans on going well beyond that, however, with its prototype Bluetooth-enabled SmartFit seating system.

To get your seat fitted perfectly to your body without having to touch any of its controls, you enter your information into the SmartFit app: gender, height, weight, reach and a picture of yourself sitting down. The data will be uploaded to Faurecia's system, which will work out "your tailored comfort profile," then send that via Bluetooth to the car's seat, and the chair will automatically shape-shift to hold you just like you like.

The app includes adjustments for specialized conditions like back stiffness and leg or thermal discomfort. Going even further, Faurecia imagines you could purchase enhanced seating functions like Shiatsu massage, IsoHeat treatment and "workout relief." Word is they want to bring it to market in the next few years.

Source and Video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/10/w...adjusting-sea/
Old 12-11-12, 07:26 AM
LexFather

Right now really loving the GS luxury pack seats and the CLS 63 seats. Love the pulse feature so it massages you the entire trip and the active side bolsters than support you in the direction you are turning.

I wish there was more focus on seat technology since that is where we sit!!

Old 12-11-12, 11:56 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Right now really loving the GS luxury pack seats and the CLS 63 seats. Love the pulse feature so it massages you the entire trip and the active side bolsters than support you in the direction you are turning.

I wish there was more focus on seat technology since that is where we sit!!
That's a really neat feature the pulsing. More support and possibly technology in the seat to make you safer such as more flexible padding to protect the occupant (kind of like a cocoon that deploys on impact)
Old 12-12-12, 09:13 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only way this is useful is if every car came with this. I could see this being useful in rental cars. I could never get comfortable quickly enough.

In my own cars, i continually adjust the seat for the first week or so then reach a very comfortable position. i rarely change it. When it does get changed, memory seats bring it right back. And car companies should make memory seat memory nonvolatile so your seat positions are remembered even after a battery failure.