Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting article on GM's financial situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 06:57 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Topic is about financial viability, not a review of their products.

GM needs winners no doubt,but a lot of their current products aren't new platforms, just better execution of "old metal" as stated in the article. Financially, I think it is responsible to squeeze as much life out of them as possible. But, the competitors are not resting on their laurels either. Has GM really learned its lesson or not and can they survive for the long term?
Old 12-17-12, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Topic is about financial viability, not a review of their products.
True, but we're not entirely off-topic. An auto company's financial-viability is often determined by how well the public perceives ther products, and how willing they are to buy them. After all, GM got themselves into the bankrupcy mess they were in by years of bad management and producing poorly-made, unreliable products. Now, the key to them getting back on their feet again is (mostly) going to be in their products.

GM needs winners no doubt,but a lot of their current products aren't new platforms, just better execution of "old metal" as stated in the article.
Yes and no. Platform-sharing at GM, of course, is certainly not new, and still exists to some extent. But the corporation has clearly learned from its past mistakes, and today's "platform-sharing" is a LONG way from the old simple, cookie-cutter rebadgings of the past.

But, the competitors are not resting on their laurels either.
Agreed. In the last few years, we have also seen vast improvements in the way Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep designs and builds their products....but, like the new GM products, these new Chrysler products are still unproven in long-term reliability.
Old 12-17-12, 10:53 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
GM has learned to use bankrupcy or bailout reorganization to full advantage over the course of it's history. The point of this article is not about what was part of the past process, but what is happening now. The truck division issues are outlined in 2 of the issues stated in the article.

The key question: Is GM just using public money (ie. your money) as cheap financing that can be defaulted on in the next bankrupcy or is it truly inept in managing it's business?
True that GM in the past had terrible mismanagement. Former and current GM CEO's Rick Wagner, Frederck (Fritz) Henderson, Ed Whiteacre and Dan Akerson all terrible...

I do like the Corvette, Suburban and the CTS line. Yes GM needs to build consistantly good products to bring and keep loyal customers. We'll have to see how this plays out.
Old 12-19-12, 08:42 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More news on US Treasury position in GM stock

It seems GM will buy back some of the stocks owned by the US Treasury, at a loss to the tax payers:

Once GM's buyback is complete, the Treasury will have recovered about $28.7 billion of the $50 billion it invested in GM. Based on current share prices, it is unlikely to recover its full investment after it sells the rest of its shares.

The Treasury had been reluctant to sell its 500 million shares because it needed the stock to hit $52.39 for the government to break even. Now it must sell its remaining shares at $69.72 to hit the break-even mark. The Treasury had the chance to exit GM in November 2010 when the auto maker's initial public offering priced the stock at $33, but it never made the move to sell.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...250022486.html
GM feels the "deal is attractive to the company, good for business and good for selling more cars" according to Dan Amman, their chief of finance. Go figure, the public purse takes a bath, no wonder it is good for them.

Last edited by My0gr81; 12-19-12 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling error in title
Old 12-19-12, 09:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

better the govt gets out now.
Old 12-19-12, 06:06 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borrow 50 billion pay back 28. Where can I sign up?
Old 12-20-12, 01:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Borrow 50 billion pay back 28. Where can I sign up?
Okay now this should be news all over, not Toyota failing a test.