Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler still on the fence about which brand will get next minivan

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 08:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Chrysler still on the fence about which brand will get next minivan

Chrysler still on the fence about which brand will get next minivan

Chrysler has had at least two minivans since it started the family-friendly craze back in 1984, but we've known for some time that one of two not-so-mini vans (the Dodge Grand Caravan or Chrysler Town and Country) would not survive for a next generation. Last we heard, it was the Chrysler model that would be losing its sliding doors in place of a crossover design, but Chrysler execs have also said in the past that Chrysler would retain the minivan design and the Grand Caravan would become a CUV. Now, it seems like the automaker might be leaving this tough decision up to potential consumers, as the Detroit Free Press is reporting that the automaker is currently showing off a quartet of concepts – a minivan and crossover for both Chrysler and Dodge – to consumer clinics before making a final decision.

The report also says that whatever decision is made, the redesigned minivan and the all-new crossover will likely go on sale in 2014 for the 2015 model year. Combined, both minivans have accounted for almost 230,000 sales through November, putting the duo well ahead of rivals like the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna.

Over the last couple of years, there has been plenty of chatter about the future Chrysler's popular minivans including the return of all-wheel drive, the addition of a hybrid model and there was even the Chrysler 700C minivan concept vehicle at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, a surprise showcar that could inform the design of Chrysler's next-generation people movers.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/17/c...get-next-mini/
Old 12-17-12, 08:29 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Chrysler Town & Country nameplate has existed since 1941. At one time it described a premium vehicle. This is the name that should stay as I think it has a more positive connotation.

The Dodge Caravan and Grand Caravan nameplate has been tarnished by years of lackluster vehicles. I fear it will always bring to mind images such as this:

Old 12-17-12, 08:44 PM
Hoovey689

I feel the opposite. No need for Chrysler to have an upscale minivan. Give them a Pacifica/R-Class CUV/people hauler thing competitor and let Dodge have the minivan
Old 12-17-12, 08:53 PM
LexFather

I think there is a market, sienna xle and odyssey ex l are like 45k and people buy them. I actually miss the R class now.

Old 12-17-12, 10:11 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I think there is a market, sienna xle and odyssey ex l are like 45k and people buy them. I actually miss the R class now.
Been saying that for years

Miss that AMG CUV

Old 12-17-12, 11:46 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

The R class was hideous.

The Grand Caravan has always been a (terrible) minivan. The Town and Country has only been a (terrible) minivan for 22 years and has been applied to other (terrible) Chrysler Corp cars. This should be a no brainer...

And that picture of that old Caravan is SPOT ON.
Old 12-18-12, 12:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The Caravan and T&C were two of the first minvans. I think they have a decent history with mid-America and both should stay. They also serve rental agencies very well.

Anyone know if the latest models are more reliable than the earlier ones? At least they are cheap to buy with all the discounts and massive depreciation.
Old 12-18-12, 04:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The R class was hideous.

The Grand Caravan has always been a (terrible) minivan. The Town and Country has only been a (terrible) minivan for 22 years and has been applied to other (terrible) Chrysler Corp cars. This should be a no brainer...

I couldn't disagree more. The 90s models ate their transmissions with startling regularity, but outside of that they were innovative and extremely competitive. Had it note been for Chrysler's downturn with this current generation they would've had great interiors from the start, and not just at the refresh.

They brought you dual sliding doors, the first power liftgate, and fold-in-to-the-floor 2nd row seating.
Old 12-18-12, 06:24 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I feel the opposite. No need for Chrysler to have an upscale minivan. Give them a Pacifica/R-Class CUV/people hauler thing competitor and let Dodge have the minivan
The Chrysler Pacifica and Mercedes-Benz R- Class sold poorly. The Dodge Caravan (short wheelbase) was replaced by the Dodge Journey. Only the long wheelbase Grand Caravan remains.

Of course, after the demise of Plymouth, Chrysler sold the Plymouth Voyager as the Chrysler Voyager just to make sure consumers were thoroughly confused. The Chrysler brand would sell both the lowest and highest models of their minivans while Dodge would receive the middle tier.
Old 12-18-12, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There's another (apparant) option for future Chrysler/Dodge minivans which doesn't seem to have been discussed much. Since Chrysler is Fiat-owned, Fiat, if it chooses, could take one of its own Fiat (or Lancia, which is also Fiat-owned) minivans currently sold in other markets and Federalize them to American standards. That, of course, would save some time and development money. The only question is....would Americans accept that kind of design after decades of buying up Chrysler-designed minivans in droves?
Old 12-18-12, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Outrage
The Chrysler Pacifica and Mercedes-Benz R- Class sold poorly. The Dodge Caravan (short wheelbase) was replaced by the Dodge Journey. Only the long wheelbase Grand Caravan remains.

Of course, after the demise of Plymouth, Chrysler sold the Plymouth Voyager as the Chrysler Voyager just to make sure consumers were thoroughly confused. The Chrysler brand would sell both the lowest and highest models of their minivans while Dodge would receive the middle tier.
doesn't matter if they sold poorly. They will make a 7 passenger CUV/Hatch/Wagon/SUV/Van thing again if they drop the TC and let Dodge have it.
Old 12-19-12, 08:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I actually miss the R class now.
I agree. R63 AMG was ******ing genius.

It's just too bad that market didn't approve of the R-class
Old 12-20-12, 09:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

They should consult with Enterprise
Old 12-20-12, 09:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

i think this dilemma chrysler is in falls into the category of "news nobody cares about"
Old 12-20-12, 09:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The R class was hideous.

It wasn't a looker but it was a nice niche for a luxurious van with some panache. Why must van owners be regulated to non luxury brands?

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I couldn't disagree more. The 90s models ate their transmissions with startling regularity, but outside of that they were innovative and extremely competitive. Had it note been for Chrysler's downturn with this current generation they would've had great interiors from the start, and not just at the refresh.

They brought you dual sliding doors, the first power liftgate, and fold-in-to-the-floor 2nd row seating.
Agreed

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I agree. R63 AMG was ******ing genius.

It's just too bad that market didn't approve of the R-class
Indeed....

Quick Reply: Chrysler still on the fence about which brand will get next minivan