Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Mini-Review: 2013 Honda Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-12, 12:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Mini-Review: 2013 Honda Accord LX

A quick Mini-review/test-drive of the all-new 2013 Honda Accord LX 4-door sedan

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord/

IN A NUTSHELL: Traditional Accord quality in a new, smaller, better-manuvering package.

There's been a lot of interest lately in the redesigned 2013 Honda Accord, even here on CL....not surprising, considering its immense popularity as a sedan (less so as a coupe), long-standing reputation for quality, perenially good Consumer Reports ratings, and literally decades on the Car and Driver Ten best list. While usually playing second-fiddle to the Toyota Camry in sedan sales (and, lately, the Nissan Altima and Hyundai Sonata also being strong competition), there's no denying the Accord appeals to a lot of people. So, as it is totally redesigned this year for 2013, and follows on the heels of the redesigned Toyota Camry last winter, I decided to give it a look....and a brief write-up. I checked out a couple of LX sedans.....a gray leather-seat one inside the showroom and a beige cloth-seat model parked out front (also for the test-drive)....both listing for just over 23K, a good value, IMO, for what you got.

The first thing you notice about the new Accord, as you walk up to it, is the somewhat smaller, tidier exterior size this year. I can't prove it, but I suspect that, like the current Acura TSX, it is actually done on the world-platform Accord, which has traditionally been somewhat smaller than U.S.-market Accords. The general body styling, though, pretty much identifies it as an Accord...its overall looks are not that much different from the recent past. The usual Honda quality in body-work, sheet-metal, and precision Swiss-watch assembly are all there as before, and the paint-job is smooth and mirrorlike.I generally found the available paint colors acceptable, though I would have prefered some brighter shades (most were a little too dull for my tastes). There was the usual (for today) lack of protective body-side mouldings......Thank you, bean-counters.

Under the hood (which feels heavy enough to have come from an M1 Abrams battle-tank), the general underhood layout is superb, although the bean-counters also put in a manual prop-rod for that heavy hood instead of nice gas-struts. The engine-accesability on the transversely-mounted 2.4L four, though, is superb, with plenty of space all around the block to reach things, no annoying plastic engine-cover, an exposed, easy-reach battery, and easily-reached dipsticks/fluid-reservoirs/filler-caps.

Inside, it's a nice surprise to see that Honda apparantly learned from the criticism it took last year (part of it my own) from the cheaply-designed 2012 Civic's interior, and went to significant length not to repeat the same mistakes this year with the new Accord. The interior trim materials are all of a good or at least acceptable quality, and most of the surfaces are either padded or have nicely-textured hard-surfaces that make them look and feel better. The buttons/***** all operate with the usual honda fluidness/precision, the hardware is durable-feeling and of good quality, and everything felt well-assembled except for a minor squeak while trying to adjust one of the dash-vents.....a quick spray of WD-40 will probably take care of that. There was adequate headroom in front for guys my side........just marginal in back. Legroom was OK but could have been better. I strongly recommend the cloth seats for the LX model, which were comfortable, super-grippy,and supportive.

The leather LX-level seats, IMO, are not as comfortably-shaped, and (though I don't know if it was from the factory like this or if detailers didn't just overdo it with the leather-conditioner), the gray leather seats in the showroom model were slippery enough that you slid all over them like a figure-skater on an ice-rink. The leather seats on the more upmarket Accord models did have ventilation-holes, but, of course, cost more. I liked the round, easy-reading main gauges, but didn't particularly care for the Mercedes/Volvo-type floating-needles in them. The stereo sound was OK but not a killer by any means, and the center-dash screen and controls had the usual complexity. I liked the fore/aft shift-lever for the transmission (no annoying zig-zags), but there were no shift-paddles or auto-manual shift feature....strange, in a car that is supposedly more sport-oriented this year. The dual-function push/pull lever for the gas-flap/trunk release, on the floor next to the drivers' door, could also have been designed a little better....it's easy to open up each one inadvertantly.

In back, the trunk is fairly well-done, with decent load-space, an OK but not terribly impressive (for this class) gray-fabric covering for the trunk floor/walls, and, of course, the usual temporary spare tire under the floor instead of a real one.

The 2.4L four, in the LX version, starts up with a traditional key/side-column ignition switch, and idles fairly smooth and quiet...but not quite the silky-smooth refinement we've come to expect from most Honda fours. It's rated at 185 HP and 181 ft-lbs. of torque, but the torque is suprisingly strong at low and middle speeds/RPMs.....also unusual for normally-aspirated Honda/Acura fours. Some credit for that must go to the CVT (Continuously-Variable) transmission......a conventional 6-speed is reserved for V6 EX models. Like Nissan and their CVTs, Honda generally did a good job programming this one...I couldn't detect much motorboating or rubber-banding, and response was generally linear. Nissan, though, provides step-ranges for their CVTs...the LX accord doesn't.

The new chassis is not only smaller this year, but clearly more sport-oriented than before (the auto-mags are going to like this one). Steering response is very quick by family-sedan standards, steering feel is generally good with a nice but not exessive heft to the rather small steering-wheel, and body-roll was kept in check nicely. Ride comfort (as with most vehicles these days) was a little stiffer than I like, but still not overly-harsh. The smaller exterior size this year gives better manuverability and makes it easier to park. Wind noise was significant as I was driving directly into a west wind gusting to 35-40 MPH in addition to the vehicle's speed....less so, of course, driving in the oposite direction with the wind. Some road noise, in the Honda tradition, was still there...especially on coarse road surfaces. The brakes performed well and had a good pedal feel, and, while there was room for me to lift my big size-15 circus-clown shoes off the gas pedal without hanging up on the underside of the brake pedal, the brake pedal itself was still rather high above the gas pedal, and required a ligh-lift for the foot.

In summary, Honda, IMO, this year, has produced a nice, somewhat smaller Accord that, while giving up some interior space, has given it improved handling/manuverability and driving-feel. it still retains the traditional Honda quality and Swiss-Watch assembly, avoids several of the mistakes made with last year's new Civic, and is, IMO, a good buy for the money...especially in value-leading LX trim. With Christmas only a couple of days away, the keys to a new one would sure look nice under someone's tree.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-07-13 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-22-12, 04:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Good review. Its nice to see Honda have the success in a segment as they have struggled for a long time.
Old 12-22-12, 04:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The hood prop and body side cladding are such non issues. Its no big deal.
Old 12-22-12, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good review.
Thanks. ...but, by my standards, it was only a casual write-up, not a full-review.

Its nice to see Honda have the success in a segment as they have struggled for a long time.
The Accord has been an American success-story (with a Japanese-nameplate) ever since it was first introduced here in 1976. For decades (and especially since the late 1980s) it has played musical-chairs with the Toyota Camry, Ford Taurus, and, recently, the Nissan Altima for the Top Three places in American family-car sales, though the Camry has been on top for the last several years. .

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The hood prop and body side cladding are such non issues. Its no big deal.
Your opinions noted......and respected. But I at least partially disagree. That's exactly the attitude that the auto companies want the public to take (the idea that it's not important)....so they can keep nickel-and-diming their newer products by leaving off these nice features that people are paying for and not getting. And, on the new Accord, the hood is heavy enough that a lot of people with weaker arms/shoulders are just not going to be able to hold it up with one hand while fumbling with the other with a manual prop-rod. At my age (I won't divulge it), even though I'm still 6' 2" and 275, I find I clearly don't have the physical strength any more that I had in my 20s and 30s, when I could knock down a brick wall if I got mad enough. I could still handle this hood, but it wasn't simple.

That doesn't necessarily make them deal-killers, though. My own Verano lacks gas stuts, factory body-side mouldings, and a full-size spare.....but as soon as I got the car, I went down to Advance Auto parts, got some nice stick-on chrome-faced body-side moulding in a roll, took the car home, and did the job myself. I liked the car, otherwise, enough that I was willing to tolerate some of its few faults.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-12 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 04:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your opinions noted......and respected. But I at least partially disagree. That's exactly the attitude that the auto companies want the public to take (the idea that it's not important)....so they can keep nickel-and-diming their newer products by leaving off these nice features that people are paying for, and not getting. And, on the new Accord, the hood is heavy enough that a lot of people with weaker arms/shoulders are just not going to be able to hold it up with one hand while fumbling with the other with a manual prop-rod. At my age, even though still 6' 2" and 275, I find I don't have the physical strength any more that I had in my 20s and 30s, when I could knock down a brick wall if I got mad enough. I could still handle this hood, but it wasn't simple.

That doesn't necessarily make them deal-killers, though. My own Verano lacks gas stuts, body-side mouldings, and a full-size spare.....but as soon as I got the car, I went down to Advance Auto parts, got some nice stick-on chrome-faced body-side moulding in a roll, took the car home, and did the job myself. I liked the car, otherwise, enough that I was willing to tolerate some of its few faults.
There is a certain price point that the hood strut makes a dfference. In the Accord class and below it, it really makes no difference, you said it yourself as it is not a deal killer. Now, if this was the case in the new Avalon or a Cadillac ATS, I would make an issue of it.

As for body side moulding, the side moulding is a styling cue, recent trends have shown that styling without is the norm.

My old Lexus LX had it, then the 2008 model deleted it, now it has come back for 2013. No big deal! I don't care for them and I am glad car makers don't force you to have them.
Old 12-22-12, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is a certain price point that the hood strut makes a dfference. In the Accord class and below it, it really makes no difference, you said it yourself as it is not a deal killer. Now, if this was the case in the new Avalon or a Cadillac ATS, I would make an issue of it.
I understand your point, and it does have some merit....I don't entirely disagree. But when you see a new option-laded 50K Ford Explorer Limited without them, you have to wonder.

As for body side moulding, the side moulding is a styling cue, recent trends have shown that styling without is the norm.
Unfortunately, careless people in lots are still going to whack the side of your car, no matter what "styling trends are". The auto companies aren't dumb.....they know that, but they also see a chance to make a few extra $$$$ on each car by leaving them off.

My old Lexus LX had it, then the 2008 model deleted it, now it has come back for 2013.
Well, then.........I guess I wasn't the only one complaining.

I don't care for them and I am glad car makers don't force you to have them.
Would you rather have dents and dings?

Of course, I still sometimes spend time looking for the safest parking spaces, even WITH body-side mouldings. Good as they are, they can't protect from all threats, as the doors on the vehicles next to you vary in size and shape.

Tell you what, though..........rather than go on and on about it, let's just both agree that they aren't necessarily a deal-breaker, and let it go at that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-12 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 05:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I understand your point, and it does have some merit....I don't entirely disagree. But when you see a new option-laded 50K Ford Explorer Limited without them, you have to wonder.

Unfortunately, careless people in lots are still going to whack the side of your car, no matter what "styling trends are". The auto companies aren't dumb.....they know that, but they also see a chance to make a few extra $$$$ on each car by leaving them off.

Well, then.........I guess I wasn't the only one complaining.

Would you rather have dents and dings?

Of course, I still sometimes spend time looking for the safest parking spaces, even WITH body-side mouldings. Good as they are, they can't protect from all threats, as the doors on the vehicles next to you vary in size and shape.

Tell you what, though..........rather than go on and on about it, let's just both agree that they aren't necessarily a deal-breaker, and let it go at that.
I agree it is not a deal breaker, hence you bought a car without door moulding or hood struts. But we can leave it at that.

I do have a question for you? Do you know of a sub $20k car that currently has hood struts. I do not.
Old 12-22-12, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I do have a question for you? Do you know of a sub $20k car that currently has hood struts. I do not.
An interesting question. You're correct that there aren't many...and I don't have all of them right in the back of my head. But I do know that the Subaru Impreza used prop-rods up till the 2008 redesign, switched to nice dual-gas struts for the 2008-2012 models, and then, on the new 2013, switched back to the manual rods. Those base-model Imprezas, of course, started in the 18-19K range, but also offered AWD for that price. The 2008-2012 models also offered standard side-mouldings.

The current base-model Forester (which is based on the 2008-2012 Imprezas) still offers the same gas hood-struts with a base price just over 21K...so it's close.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-12 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 06:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

An interesting question. You're correct that there aren't many...and I don't have all of them right in the back of my head. But I do know that the Subaru Impreza used prop-rods up till the 2008 redesign, switched to nice dual-gas struts for the 2008-2012 models, and then, on the new 2013, switched back to the manual rods. Base-model Imprezas, of course, start in the 18-19K range, but also offer AWD for that price. The 2008-2012 models also offered standard side-mouldings.

The current base-model Forester (which is based on the 2008-2012 Imprezas) still offers the same gas hood-struts with a base price just over 21K...so it's close.
I can't think of a car either. The worst cost cutting I've seen is the Hyundai Genesis that has neither a hood prop or dual hood struts. It has a single cheap feeling strut.
Old 12-22-12, 06:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the Accord. Were you able to experience Active Noise Cancellation?
Old 12-22-12, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the Accord. Were you able to experience Active Noise Cancellation?
I don't specifically recall my base-model LX having it. I understand, though, that it works through the stereo speakers. I did drive it with the stereo both on and off, however, and the overall noise-level was not particularly low, especially driving directly into some gale-force wind-gusts. Nor, in typical Honda tradition, was the road-noise level very low either. Neither one, though, was loud enough to be excessive......after all, the Accord still has to compete with its arch-rival Camry, which is known for its refinement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-12 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 07:04 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't think of a car either. The worst cost cutting I've seen is the Hyundai Genesis that has neither a hood prop or dual hood struts. It has a single cheap feeling strut.
I dunno. my single strut feels fine. never feel like it's gonna close on me.
Old 12-22-12, 09:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice review Mike. In your opinion is Honda back on track with the New Accord and recently refreshed Civic or is this another one off before another sharp decline in Traditional Honda qualities such as clean and efficient design, frugality and fun, and pioneering tech and safety on cars. Simply stalling while the rest of the competition gains more market share and innovations?
Old 12-23-12, 12:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review Mike.
Thanks.

In your opinion is Honda back on track with the New Accord and recently refreshed Civic or is this another one off before another sharp decline in Traditional Honda qualities such as clean and efficient design, frugality and fun, and pioneering tech and safety on cars.
I haven't checked out the new refurbished Civic, but, if not before then, I'll probably see it at the D.C. Auto Show in a few more weeks. If I'm impressed enough with it in the showroom, I may do a test-drive. With the new Accord, I think it pretty much carries on the traditional Honda qualities of overall quality, Swiss-Watch precise assembly, and some of the qualities you mention, though, with the new, slightly smaller and more sport-oriented chassis, noise-level and ride-comfort is not quite to my tastes. The up side to that, of course, is sharp handling and more of a Drivers' Car.

Simply stalling while the rest of the competition gains more market share and innovations?

I wouldn't call it stalling. The 2013 Accord's new size and sportier characteristics may give it some new (and younger) customers than in the past, but what its effect will be on Accord traditionalists remains to be seen. The nameplate itself, though, as I se it, is so popular that a number of buyers will purchase or lease one simply because it is an Accord.

Quick Reply: MM Mini-Review: 2013 Honda Accord LX