Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Verano to go turbo-only for 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-12, 09:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Buick Verano to go turbo-only for 2014?

Buick Verano to go turbo-only for 2014?

If VIN tags recently posted online prove accurate, the 2014 Buick Verano may be getting a new base engine. Presently the Verano makes use of GM's 2.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder engine in non-turbo trim; 2014 documentation appears to indicate that GM's entry-level luxury compact will instead feature a 1.6-liter turbocharged mill.

If this is the same engine seen in Europe, GM Inside News suggests it may offer 192 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque – useful improvements over the larger naturally aspirated mill's 180 hp and 171 lb-ft. More importantly, the downsized engine would likely improve on the Verano's current fuel mileage estimates of 21 city and 31 highway.

We like the Verano in both of its current iterations, but the 1.6 turbo engine sounds like a worthwhile upgrade if this reports turns out to be true. Plus, if more performance is your bag, baby, there's always the Verano's optional 2.0 turbo engine with an impressive 250 horsepower and 260 lb-ft from just 2.0 liters of displacement.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/22/b...only-for-2014/
Old 12-23-12, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I hope not. I like the non-turbo 2.4L setup in my own Verano just fine. Don't screw around with it. The present 2.0L Turbo's suspension is 20% stiffer than the non-turbo....too stiff, IMO, for a Buick.
Old 12-23-12, 12:56 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

NA engines always have a special place in my heart
Old 12-24-12, 07:14 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope not. I like the non-turbo 2.4L setup in my own Verano just fine. Don't screw around with it. The present 2.0L Turbo's suspension is 20% stiffer than the non-turbo....too stiff, IMO, for a Buick.
The 1.6 could replace the 2.4L. The suspension tuning of the 2.0 could be different. At any rate, the verano seems to be one of GMs best products in their lineup, and it's only getting better. Now if they could only fix the Regal.
Old 12-29-12, 07:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

R&T and C&D recently reviewed the Verano 2.0 turbo. Both of them were generally favorable.

C&D felt that since the Verano was based on the Chevy Cruze it might make more sense to offer a performance oriented car like this under the Chevy badge. It might appeal to a wider range of enthusiasts as a Chevy vs. Buick,
Old 12-29-12, 07:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
R&T and C&D recently reviewed the Verano 2.0 turbo. Both of them were generally favorable.

C&D felt that since the Verano was based on the Chevy Cruze it might make more sense to offer a performance oriented car like this under the Chevy badge. It might appeal to a wider range of enthusiasts as a Chevy vs. Buick,

Good points and I agree but Buick is trying to get the younger buyer.
Old 12-29-12, 09:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It's definitely worth a shot for them to try for younger buyers. It wouldn't be that difficult for Chevy to add a Cruze performance model in the future if they felt there was a market for one.
Old 12-29-12, 09:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

It's definitely worth a shot for them to try for younger buyers. It wouldn't be that difficult for Chevy to add a Cruze performance model in the future if they felt there was a market for one.
Maybe a Cruze SS.
Old 12-29-12, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrraider
The 1.6 could replace the 2.4L. The suspension tuning of the 2.0 could be different. At any rate, the verano seems to be one of GMs best products in their lineup, and it's only getting better.
The Verano's suspension/tires, IMO, are already stiff enough....there's a huge difference already between the non-turbo Verano's underpinnings and traditional floaty big-Buicks. I also doubt if the 1.6L Turbo could equal the 2.4L's refinement.

I do agree, though, that the current Verano, in a number of ways, is arguably one of the best GM sedans in decades (along with the last-generation Malibu/Aura). I was strongly impressed with it the first time I laid eyes on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-12 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-29-12, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A few years ago if memory serves correct the average age of a Buick buyer before their renaissance was 70 lol
Old 12-30-12, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A few years ago if memory serves correct the average age of a Buick buyer before their renaissance was 70 lol
I know the figures do show a somewhat older-than-average buyer-age for Buick, but I don't buy a lot of that crap about the marque being essentially a Geezer-brand (most of which was concocted and spread by the auto-press). I had two Buicks in college before I was even 20 years old (run-of the mill used Buicks...not GS350/400 performance cars)...and I liked them both, especially the big one. (One of my closest high-school friends liked big Oldsmobiles, Buick's sister-brand). In fact, back then, I actually wanted another Buick, but, sad to say, their build-quality went down markedly in the 1970s, and the Verano (literally) is the first American-market Buick I've seen in almost 40 years I would (yes) actually buy. Part of that, of course, is that it is not a traditional American-designed Buick, but actually an Americanized German Opel Astra sedan with a GM powertrain and super-quiet Buick sound-insulation. (Opel build-quality has markedly improved in recent years),

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-12 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-30-12, 01:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure it was the press who concocted the Buick-geezer image. That's just who is buying their cars and the press merely reports it.

Same thing with the Avalon, ES350, Lincoln, Mercury and others. They all want to lower the average age of their buyers and it is no doubt a difficult long term goal to acheive, but they all say at one time or another they want to do it.
Old 12-30-12, 01:57 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure it was the press who concocted the Buick-geezer image. That's just who is buying their cars and the press merely reports it.

Same thing with the Avalon, ES350, Lincoln, Mercury and others. They all want to lower the average age of their buyers and it is no doubt a difficult long term goal to acheive, but they all say at one time or another they want to do it.

I agree.
I believe at one time AARP had $300 coupon or something for a Buick model.
Old 12-30-12, 11:43 PM
Hoovey689

I know the figures do show a somewhat older-than-average buyer-age for Buick, but I don't buy a lot of that crap about the marque being essentially a Geezer-brand (most of which was concocted and spread by the auto-press). I had two Buicks in college before I was even 20 years old (run-of the mill used Buicks...not GS350/400 performance cars)...and I liked them both, especially the big one. (One of my closest high-school friends liked big Oldsmobiles, Buick's sister-brand). In fact, back then, I actually wanted another Buick, but, sad to say, their build-quality went down markedly in the 1970s, and the Verano (literally) is the first American-market Buick I've seen in almost 40 years I would (yes) actually buy. Part of that, of course, is that it is not a traditional American-designed Buick, but actually an Americanized German Opel Astra sedan with a GM powertrain and super-quiet Buick sound-insulation. (Opel build-quality has markedly improved in recent years),
In it's younger years I don't think it was. As it got older and progressed and how GM positioned Buick however it did earn that image for large comfortable cruisers. They realize now though that the market has changed and need younger buyers hence smaller rides with peppy turbo engines
Old 12-31-12, 08:09 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Verano's suspension/tires, IMO, are already stiff enough....there's a huge difference already between the non-turbo Verano's underpinnings and traditional floaty big-Buicks. I also doubt if the 1.6L Turbo could equal the 2.4L's refinement.
Debatable. I've driven teh Regal 2.0 (non GS) and it's whisper quiet at city speeds and highway cruise. Makes more noise under hard throttle.

I4s have inherent vibration issues that only get worse with increasing displacement.

Quick Reply: Buick Verano to go turbo-only for 2014?