Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C7 (2014+) Corvette Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 10:52 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-08-13, 08:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7 SPEED MANUAL STICKSHIFT!!!!

It's one of the only cars available at the moment today that has a 7-speed stickshift manual. Nice. =)

By the way:
I noticed this as well:

So the 7-speed manual has these "REV MATCH" paddle shifters.

Not sure what those are for but either way, I would be busy with changing gears with the stick.......so I can't see how I would use the paddle shifters in conjunction with those................unless I'm missing something.

Last edited by Blackraven; 03-08-13 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-08-13, 09:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Old 03-08-13, 09:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
So the 7-speed manual has these "REV MATCH" paddle shifters.

Not sure what those are for but either way, I would be busy with changing gears with the stick.......so I can't see how I would use the paddle shifters in conjunction with those................unless I'm missing something.
There’s something odd about the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette, and it’s not just the near-excessive number of creases in the bodywork. No, the new Stingray features paddle shifters on both the automatic and manual transmission models.

Easy to miss at first glance, the paddles, which usually control shifting in an automatic transmission, help with the ‘Vette’s new rev-matching technology.

General Motors often uses the Corvette as a testbed for new technology and the new C7 generation is no exception. In other manual transmission cars, in order to seamlessly down-shift and keep the car balanced and at the ideal rpm, the driver must match the rpm between changing gears. This technique gets particularly tricky when it comes to braking for a corner, requiring the driver to press the brake and gas pedal with one foot, and the clutch with another (otherwise known as heel-toeing).

However, the new Corvette will be a bit more helpful to the novice driver, thanks to its rev-matching technology that will automatically blip the throttle when downshifting. The system is similar to the Synchrorev Match function Nissan offers on its 370Z.

“A patented sensor in the shift lever that can predict which gear you’re going to,” says Monte Doran, from Chevy’s Corvette team .”If you’re in 4th, as soon as you start pushing the lever it can tell if you’re going right (to fifth) or up (to 3rd) and will adjust the revs accordingly.”

Not all Corvette drivers will appreciate the car doing all the work, so that’s where the paddle-shifters come into play.

“There’s no need to hold down a button for 5 seconds, no need to access the vehicle menus,” explains Doran. “You can grab the paddle to engage the system.”

“A big focus for the team was to offer technologies that improved the driving experience when you wanted them, and didn’t interfere when you don’t,” Doran says, and the Corvette seems to offer that experience quickly and easily, a must when the vehicle has an estimate 450-hp and 450 lbs-ft of torque.

Doran explained that the system will be great for track-day regulars.

“You can drive through your best corners with the system off, and then engage the system for the corners you still need to work on,” ensuring fast lap times no matter what.

With GM sharing parts and technology throughout its many line-ups, it’s not yet clear if the next Corvette-powered Camaro ZL1 or Cadillac CTS-V will use the same tech and set-up and Doran didn’t shoot down the possibility.

“Yes, it could be introduced on other models. But, no, it’s not as easy as plug-and-play,” said Doran
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-shifters.html
Old 03-09-13, 07:32 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Pure awesomeness imo!

Now I can have a manual car that my wife can drive too??? Really!!!!???

She has zero interest in learning how to drive a manual at this point and I couldn't be bothered to force the issue, hence all our vehicles being automatics/slushboxes.

Disappointing that the new 'Vette isn't appearing up here until late summer. My buddy that owns the local Chev dealership and I have already chatted that this initial launch doesn't make much sense....but spring of '14 might be a great time to pick one up.
Old 03-10-13, 01:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

My father in law is going to buy one but is going to wait for two years. He knows never to buy a model in its first production year. I've learned the hard way with my G35, GS350, and LS460. Im done with first year production models and their "teething problems"
Old 03-10-13, 01:54 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

@bagwell

I'm confused.

So how do I use these 'rev-match paddle shifters' when the car is a manual? Or do I need to use them at all? (btw, I was trained to drive using a car with manual stick shift during driver training)
Old 03-10-13, 07:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

370Z has had this rev matching for a while, the computer will hold RPMs during shifting so the revs match when you shift and you dont lose engine speed
Old 04-27-13, 12:49 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pricing Announced

General Motors announced the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray prices this morning with the coupe starting at $51,995 and the new Convertible starting at $56,995 – both of which are only about two thousand dollars more than the outgoing 2013 model year Corvette.

We have been speculating since the debut of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray back in January just how much it would cost to own one of these gorgeous new American supercars and with today’s announcement – the price increase between the 2013 and 2014 Corvette is actually a bit lower than we expected. GM hasn’t rolled out full pricing (via a configurator website) just yet but the company has given us a good look at roughly how much it will cost to put the new C7 Vette in your driveway.

The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe comes with a starting price of $51,000 plus a destination fee of $995 for an out-the-door starting price of $51,995. That price is $1,400 more than the base price of the 2013 Corvette Coupe which starts at $49,600 and requires the same $995 destination fee for a total price of $50,595. This based price for the 2014 Corvette Stingray Coupe includes the 450 horsepower LT1 V8, the new 7-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching, a five position Drive Mode Selector, a removable carbon fiber roof panel, HID and LED lighting all around, twin 8 inch configurable infotainment screens featuring Chevrolet MyLink, a Bose 9 speaker audio system and the lightweight magnesium-framed Grand Touring seat – just to name a few.

“The 2014 Corvette Stingray perfectly embodies Chevrolet’s mission to deliver more than expected for our customers,” said Chris Perry, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. “The Corvette Stingray delivers a combination of performance, design and technology that very few manufacturers can match, and none can even come close for $52,000.”

For those who want more open air freedom out of their American supercar, the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible comes with a starting price of $56,995 which includes the mandatory $995 destination fee. Compared to the 2013 Corvette Convertible which starts at $55,595, the 2014 Stingray Vert is also only $1,400 more than the outgoing model. The new C7 Convertible comes with many of the same standard goodies as its hard topped counterpart with the major exception of the removable carbon fiber roof panel.

Some of you are likely wondering how much the price of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray will jump when you begin adding options and from today’s statement, it looks like a loaded up 2014 Stingray will put you in the same range that we discussed back in March. A General Motors contest to give away a 2014 Corvette listed the value of the prize vehicle at $71,860 – a price which we speculated was based on a Corvette clad in all of the options (click here for more on that). It looks like we were right on the money with that speculation as GM explains that a fully loaded 2014 Corvette Stingray Coupe (similar to the bright red beauty that debuted in Detroit) will carry a price of $73,360. That price includes the 3LT interior package that adds leather throughout the cabin ($8,005), the Z51 Performance Package ($2,800), the Competition Sport Seats ($2,495), the exposed material carbon fiber roof panel ($1,995), Magnetic Ride Control with Performance Traction Management ($1,795), the dual mode exhaust system ($1,195), a carbon fiber interior trim package ($995), a suede upper interior trim package ($995), red painted brake calipers ($595) and black painted wheels ($495).

In addition to adding lots of premium Nappa leather on the seats, dash, doors and instrument panel, the top of the line $8,005 3LT interior package for the 2014 Corvette Stingray Coupe adds a Bose 10 speaker sound system, a color heads up display, navigation, satellite radio, and heated/cooled seating surfaces.

The $2,800 Z51 Performance Package for the C7 Stingray adds unique gear ratios, a transmission cooling system, 19 inch wheels in the front with 20 inch wheels out back, enlarged brake rotors, a brake cooling duct system, electronic limited slip differential, a differential cooling system, and unique chassis tuning. GM claims that the 2014 Corvette Coupe equipped with the Z51 package can provide over a full G of cornering force while dashing from 0-60 in under 4 seconds.

While the fully loaded price of $73,360 for a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe is a huge jump over the $51,000 base price, those who are worried about just plain going fast won’t need to invest anywhere near that much. In that long list of options above, only the Magnetic Ride Control, the Z51 Performance Package, the Competition Sport Seats and the dual mode exhaust system add go-fast fun to the new Corvette. If you factor in those options to the base Coupe price, you can have yourself one smokin’ fast 2014 Stingray $60,280.

While the pricing information for the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe is currently abridged, we can expect to see the new C7 pop up on the Chevrolet website in the coming months – at which point we will have a clear idea of just how much it will cost to build our dream 2014 Vette

source: http://www.torquenews.com/106/gm-ann...vette-stingray
Old 04-27-13, 02:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Old 04-28-13, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Pricing is really awesome. Great job GM!

Old 04-28-13, 03:56 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-28-13, 01:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray 6.2L LT1 rated at 460 hp, 465 lb-ft

2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray 6.2L LT1 rated at 460 hp, 465 lb-ft

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5914018/

Chevrolet has officially dropped power figures for the 2014 Corvette Stingray. The sports car's 6.2-liter V8 can crank out up to 460 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 465 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm. Most of the torque, up to 316 lb-ft, is available from just 1,000 rpm, and wide open the LT1 V8 produces just 5 lb-ft less than the outgoing LS7 in the Z06. Mercy.

Using the standard exhaust, the engine yields 455 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque. Chevrolet estimates that's good enough to get the 2014 Corvette to 60 miles per hour in under four seconds. Even with all that thrust on hand, Chevy says the LT1 is more efficient than ever. Active Fuel Management, direct injection and variable valve timing help cut emissions by 25 percent.

In addition, engineers threw a spate of advancements at the mill, including four-into-one exhaust manifolds, a new intake manifold design and an oil system with piston squirters to keep the cylinders cool under hard use. The system also allows for an available dry-sump oiling system.

2014 Corvette Stingray Cranks Out 460 Horsepower

SAE certifications confirm new Corvette has most powerful standard engine ever

2013-05-28

DETROIT – The 2014 Corvette Stingray's all-new LT1 6.2L V-8 engine is SAE-certified at 460 horsepower (343 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 465 lb-ft of torque (630 Nm) at 4,600 rpm, with the available performance exhaust system, Chevrolet announced today.

The Stingray is SAE-certified at 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 460 lb-ft (624 Nm) with the standard exhaust system. They are the highest standard power ratings ever for the Corvette, delivered with efficiency that is expected to exceed 26 mpg on the highway.

"The 2014 Corvette Stingray's LT1 engine is a triumph of advanced technology, delivering more power and torque than ever before with greater efficiency," said Jordan Lee, Small Block chief engineer.

"The LT1's performance complements the Corvette's low mass with a tremendous feeling of power that builds as the rpm climbs. Drivers will experience more power and acceleration than ever before with the standard engine – in fact, its power and torque surpass many uplevel engines offered by competitors."

At 74 horsepower per liter, the LT1 has greater power density than the C6 Corvette's LS3 6.2L engine and even the C6 Z06's racing-derived 7.0L LS7. It also produces comparable torque to the LS7 – up to 4,700 rpm – and its peak torque is within 5 lb-ft of the 7.0L engine. That torque is generated early and sustained across the rpm band, with 316 lb-ft available at only 1,000 rpm and 90 percent of peak torque available from 3,000 rpm to 5,500 rpm – giving the lightweight Corvette Stingray excellent acceleration at all speeds.

Chevrolet estimates the Corvette will run from 0 to 60 mph in less than four seconds.

The new LT1 engine's high output, and high power density and efficiency are due to several advanced technologies, including direct injection, Active Fuel Management and continuously variable valve timing, which support an advanced combustion system.

Direct injection is a primary contributor to the engine's combustion efficiency, ensuring a more complete burn of the fuel in the air-fuel mixture. That's achieved by precisely controlling the mixture motion and fuel injection spray pattern. Direct injection also keeps the combustion chamber cooler, which allows for a higher compression ratio. Emissions are also reduced, particularly cold-start hydrocarbon emissions, which are cut by about 25 percent.

Active Fuel Management, or cylinder deactivation, is a first-ever application on Corvette. It helps save fuel by imperceptibly shutting down half of the engine's cylinders in light-load driving. Continuously variable valve timing is refined to support the LT1 AFM and direct injection systems to further optimize performance, efficiency and emissions.

These technologies support the all-new, advanced combustion system, which incorporates a new cylinder-head design and a new, sculpted piston design that is an integral contributor to the high-compression, mixture motion parameters enabled by direct injection.

Additional engine features include:

Advanced oiling system with oil-spray piston cooling and available dry-sump oiling
Engine-mounted, camshaft-driven fuel pump to support the direct injection system
Intake manifold with "runners in a box" design that allows for high-efficiency airflow packaged beneath the Corvette's low hood line
High-flow, four-into-one exhaust manifolds based on the design of the LS7 engine.
Small Block legacy

The 2014 Corvette Stingray's LT1 engine is the fifth generation of the Small Block engine family, which debuted in the Corvette in 1955. It displaced 4.3L (265 cubic inches) and was rated at 195 horsepower, drawing air and fuel through a four-barrel carburetor. Five years later, Small Block power helped Corvette secure its first victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

In 2012, the Small Block-powered Corvette Racing C6.R beat Ferrari, BMW and Porsche to sweep the drivers', team, and manufacturer championships in production-based American Le Mans Series GT class. These championships make Corvette Racing the most successful team in ALMS history, with a total of 77 class wins, eight drivers' championships, and nine manufacturer and team championships since 2001.

The 2014 Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale this fall, with a convertible following by the end of the year – each sharing an all-new aluminum frame structure and enhanced chassis, as well as completely new exterior and interior designs.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/28/2...-hp-465-lb-ft/
Old 05-28-13, 07:56 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

nice Hoovey!!

I thought the Indy 500 pace car looked awesome cruising around the track btw.

Old 05-29-13, 02:46 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette once killed many of the japanese sport cars as example of

Supra, 300zx, rx7, 3000gt vr4, and some more

Now, they are doing it again. The c7 price totally killed lexus ISF. I am interested to see how the Japanese will fare with their supposedly new revision of their legacy with rumors of newer Supra, GTR, RX7, NSX, WRX STI. Since GTR came out 90,000+ the ISF was flirting with 70,000.

For the money, i would buy C7 just for the look, the marvelous technology, and new C7 handles like a dream. Is there a reason not to buy one, if u are a die hard sport car Enthusiast ?

Quick Reply: C7 (2014+) Corvette Thread