Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C7 (2014+) Corvette Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14 | 09:31 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hlee12
porsche is just a better car. drive one and it will just blow your mind. and i still love its timeless design.

if money was not a concern, i'll take 911 s over vette. i mean it's not even a debate. and will take turbo s over zr1. but yes, vette is hard to beat at $60k. it's a great bargain. but again, it's no porsche. that's just me.
You probably never drive an American V8. The sounds is just fantastic, and the power and the toque are just amazing. You can ignore the ring time, but Corvette Z06 Z07 will be a faster can than anything from Porsche *maybe except 918* at Nurburgring. YES! Corvette is not for everyone.
Old 02-01-14 | 10:11 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino
You probably never drive an American V8. The sounds is just fantastic, and the power and the toque are just amazing. You can ignore the ring time, but Corvette Z06 Z07 will be a faster can than anything from Porsche *maybe except 918* at Nurburgring. YES! Corvette is not for everyone.
eh, i've pretty much driven most big v8s offered here. my friend drives roush stang. stage 3. i could never buy domestic simply because i look for refinement and precision more so than brute power.

i really honestly don't care about the speed. i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a car that goes 4.0 0-60 vs. 4.5 0-60. i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 12 sec car vs. 11 car. i don't drive fast. i drive like a grandpa. like i'm gonna race dudes. i'm too old for that.

and it's not just against domestics. to me porsche dominates pretty much everyone else. just ask rs7 about it, how it got KOed by panamera on the other thread.
Old 02-01-14 | 10:12 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

but as far as the design goes this vette is hawt as hell. they really nailed it. interior too.
Old 02-01-14 | 11:17 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I do understand your point, but the post recession domestic brands have improved so much that it catch up and exceed Germans in many categories.
Old 02-03-14 | 10:18 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Hennessey HPE700 Twin Turbo C7 Corvette doing a burnout at Lonestar Motorsports Park in Sealy, Texas.
Old 02-03-14 | 01:20 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Default Great interview with Tadge

The Corvette Blogger came up with this great interview of 'off the cuff questions and answers'. When they realized they had a good one on one going, they cranked up the camera. At about the 5 minute mark there are some interesting comments re: the A8 tranny. He didn't say they built it but form your own opinion, they did say they designed it in house.

Enjoy http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2014/...-corvette-z06/
Old 02-06-14 | 01:29 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

With a bargain price tag and supercar performance, the Corvette C7 Stingray has rebooted the iconic American sports car. But can it compete with Europe's best: the Audi R8, Porsche 911 and Jaguar F-type?

The seventh-generation Chevrolet Corvette. It marks the return of the Stingray; in name, at least. It certainly looks good on paper: all-new styling, chassis, cabin and - most importantly - the new LT1 V8 engine. But how does it fare against the best that Europe can offer? Can it out-accelerate and out-brake a Porsche 911? Does it sound better than a Jaguar F-type? Can it out-handle an Audi R8? Steve Sutcliffe referees the biggest sports car battle of 2014.
Old 02-06-14 | 03:26 PM
JM51526
Driver

Pretty good video - but doing a braking test with one car on dry road and the other on damp is a little cheesy.
Old 02-06-14 | 07:35 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JM51526
Pretty good video - but doing a braking test with one car on dry road and the other on damp is a little cheesy.
agreed, the C7 kicks the 911's azz in acceleration and braking (if on equal surfaces).
Old 02-07-14 | 05:14 PM
Hoovey689

Default Black Widow in Chicago

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevr...photo-2193377/
Old 02-07-14 | 05:22 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

mmmmm scarjo....
Attached Thumbnails C7 (2014+) Corvette Thread-capture.jpg  
Old 02-08-14 | 01:14 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The C6 Z06 has bolt-ons and the C7 has heads/cam and runs 10's.
Who do you think will win this?
Old 02-09-14 | 01:37 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

I have to say the new Corvette is growing on me.
Old 02-09-14 | 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Nice video of the Corvette C7 Stingray vs Audi R8 vs Porsche 911 vs Jaguar F-type
Old 02-11-14 | 05:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Default Edmunds long term road test

this is just one writer's part of the test...much more info on the site.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...y-my-turn.html

I usually like the Detroit Auto Show. The last couple of them have been great. Money's started to flow back into the auto industry, there are more cars on the floor and the reveals get more and more important.

This year, however, I just wanted it to be over. I wanted to bail before noon on the second day. I wanted to tear off my media credential, throw my tie in the trash, sprint back to the hotel and start driving our 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray.

I knew I had about 2,400 miles to cover over the next few days, but I was itching to play in the snow.

I stuck it out and left the day after the press preview which opened up my schedule to drive Oldham to the airport. Hooray?

The first few miles of the drive hinted that today wasn't going to be easy. Snow was accumulating on the ground, the sky was dark grey and temps were somewhere in the low 20s. At least the airport's on the way out of town.

By the time I was 10 miles outside of Detroit there were 2-3 inches of snow covering the highway. Speeds were low. Everyone was doing about 40. Unless, of course, you were driving a 4x4 and then there's obviously no reason to slow down. Surprisingly, I only saw one of them in the median down the road.

I grew up in the Northeast with rear-drive cars and wasn't terribly afraid of this happening but it's still slightly annoying and, as anyone who has to try to make time in snow will confirm, stressful. That said, the Corvette armed with these winter tires is a champ in the snow. I wasn't stuck trying to climb a mountain, I was on relatively flat ground which helped. Still, with 460 horsepower and super fat rear tires, it could've gone poorly. The same stability control system that makes the Stingray belligerently fast on canyon roads and racetracks keeps things tidy in the snow. Combine that with great feedback from the steering and precise brakes and the Corvette didn't surprise me once. The only "let's see what happens" moments were when plowing through that wall of snow that accumulates between lanes on the highway. Even then the Corvette remained rock solid, stability control keeping everything in check.

Being able to trust your car is key to making time and from that first blizzard on, I felt I could trust the Corvette.

The first day wrapped up about 700 miles from where I started. Not bad, but not the kind of distance I like to put down on day 1 of a road trip. Day 2 would have to be better.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray: Day 2

February 7, 2014

The town of Lincoln, Nebraska isn't terribly interesting. But it has an airport which means it has cheap, clean hotel rooms. My room was well insulated from the sound of private jets getting out of Nebraska but was woefully porous to the 900 mph winds that were whipping across the Midwest that day.

The wind nearly blew me over as I filled the tank with :::gasp::: 87 octane — it was all they had and my range indicator was in a panic. I had to lean into it to stay vertical. I had to stay outside the car to hold the fuel nozzle as the wind kept tripping the sensor. It was something like 18 degrees before wind-chill calculations. I've never wanted a flat tire less.

By the time I got on the highway, the winds had somehow picked up. I lost count of the number of tractor-trailers overturned. None of them had cabs, however, signaling that this wind had been going all night at least. Trucks still on the road were tilting towards the roadway. I passed them as fast as humanly possible and stayed FAR away from them near overpasses. About three hours into the drive I encountered the world's largest migration of tumbleweeds. I dodged the ones I could and obliterated the others. One the size of a Volkswagen was impossible to miss. It exploded on impact in the most satisfying way.

The Corvette didn't care about any of this. If not for the trucks waving like flags I'd have had no idea there was any wind at all. If I turned my head at just the right angle, there was some wind noise from the door seal. If I looked forward that noise went away.

Even when passing through the windbreak of a giant truck the 'Vette stayed stable, slipping through the disturbed air like a harpoon.

Night falls fast in winter. Faster than I'd like. Faster than I expected.

The sun started to dip behind the mountains as I approached the Eisenhower Tunnel. For anyone who hasn't spent a lot of time in a cold climate, this means the temperature is going to drop and the puddles formed from hours of sunlight and road traffic will quickly become sheets of ice. Not fun.

I wanted to get up and over as quickly as possible, but then stopped to watch an ice driving school held on a frozen lake. They told me they race there on the weekends with studded tires. They told me the Corvette was too low to make it onto the ice. Still, I love that this exists and want to move to Colorado to play here.

Getting up the hill was a breeze until I hit a thick patch of snow that had blown across the roadway. It was the gross, sticky kind of snow laden with salt and sand that likes to gum up the treads of tires and it did just that. I tried slowing down to knock some out. I tried doing a rolling burnout. Nothing worked, though, so I just went as slow as necessary (welcome to winter driving, Southern Californians) until the tires cleared it themselves. That turned out to be just after the tunnel which was perfect; I did not want to go down that hill on ice skates.

It got darker. It got colder. There were more ice patches and more dead deer on the side of the road and I decided to call it in Moab. The 'Vette performed exceptionally well in the wind and handled ice and snow even better, but I didn't think it would do so well against a deer.

800+ miles this day. Not great, again, but I think I'm starting to figure out why.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray: Day 3

February 10, 2014

Moab, Utah is not a terrible place to wake up. In fact, it's a pretty darned spectacular place to wake up. I could have stopped every 15 feet to take more pictures, but I limited the stops to about 4.

Maybe 5.

The route from Moab to Los Angeles isn't terribly impressive. There are some nice views and the speed limits are somewhere around 80 mph throughout Utah which is nice. But really, it's a 700-ish mile highway slog that lands you straight into Los Angeles's awesome rush-hour traffic.

The most notable things about this ride included the length of time the Stingray sat in four-cylinder mode at 80-ish mph; the temperature difference from start to finish: 18 in Moab, 91 in L.A.; and how much I dislike the Corvette's long-distance seating position.

More on that last bit later, for now, let's look at the numbers.

Total Miles: 4,976.2
Average MPG: 26.3
Best MPG: 30.4 (7th gear. Eco Mode. Minimal stops. Me.)
Worst MPG: 21.9 (89 octane + wind + multiple stops + fast. Me.)
Best Range: 471.9 (Scott)
Gallons of Fuel Used: 189.2
Gallons of washer fluid: 1
BBQ Stops: A bunch
Breakdowns: 0
Times Stranded by snow: .5
Burnouts on Snow Tires: A bunch. (Weeeeee!)

Mike Magrath (@Mike_Magrath), Features Editor @ 12,728 miles.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...-trip-mpg.html

Last edited by bagwell; 02-11-14 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: C7 (2014+) Corvette Thread