Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi to spend $17 billion to fight BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 09:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Audi to spend $17 billion to fight BMW

Audi to spend $17 billion to fight BMW

It's no secret that VW Group, parent company to not only Volkswagen but also Audi, Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche and Ducati brands sold in the US, is determined to become the world's largest automaker. Even more impressive is that VW is prepared to spend billions to make it happen.

With that comes word that VW Group will be spending $17 billion on its Audi brand over the next three years to push itself above rival BMW. The money will be invested in both vehicle development (including lightweight auto design and alternative powertrains) and facilities (including expansion in Hungary, China and new operations in Mexico). The luxury brand is focused on global manufacturing infrastructure.

Already Europe's best-selling luxury brand, Audi's objective is to overtake BMW by the end of the decade by selling more than two million cars per year (BMW is shooting for 1.54 million sales in 2013). If those objectives are met, VW Group should be on track to be the industry's volume leader by 2018.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/29/a...-to-fight-bmw/
Old 12-30-12, 12:06 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

VW is on the war path. They have very aggressive over the last 3-5 years. They want to rule the world.
Old 12-30-12, 12:49 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gimme more v12 lambos. I dont care if you rule the world lol.
Old 12-30-12, 01:25 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

The next A4 needs to make a big splash. It's a refined and modern machine, but has higher potential. Also think one of the easiest ways for the brand to rise up is to increase boost with the base 2.0T. 211 is pathetic, even though the car is relatively quick. Numbers always matter in this industry. Also feel they need to better align themselves with their competitiors. The latest S4 still does not fall even with BMW and Mercede's offerings. Also, getting rid of the normally aspirated V6 was a mistake, or at least they need two versions of the 2.0T- one hot, one cold. All this would line up better with the other two brands.
Old 12-30-12, 02:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

more cheaper models it seems....

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-30-12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-30-12, 06:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

With competition like that,the customer usually gets a better vehicle.
Old 12-30-12, 09:11 AM
Stormwind
Racer

hmm...Germans on a war path to dominate the globe, what could go wrong here?
On the other hand it is good news they are spending that money on r&d instead of stupid marketing schems like what some of the Japanese brands are doing.
Old 12-30-12, 12:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

maybe bmw is spending 17Bn too so it may not be that impressive.
Old 12-30-12, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Audi, IMO, probably doesn't have to spend that kind of money to compete with BMW. First, their existing fit/finish and interior plushness/quality speak for themselves...all one has to do is simply go to a showroom and check them out. Second, their Quattro AWD system is better than BMW AWD systems in several ways. Third, if Audi is going to spend some $$$$$$$, that money (or at least part of it), IMO, would be much better off spent on something less-complex and more driver-friendly to use to replace the annoying MMI system....same, incidentally, for BMW and its I-Drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-12 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-30-12, 01:42 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi would be spending this money regardless of competing with BMW just to remain current and maintain production capacity if their demand projections hold. Nothing new for a commercial entity. Reading the article, at no point did it mention VW actually making a statement, just the opinion of the writer. Probably to generate more hits to increase advertising.

Last edited by My0gr81; 12-30-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-30-12, 03:23 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's nice and all, but I think brand loyalty means a lot with Bimmer buyers. It seems Audi/VW would need to sway all those on the fence that Audi is better than BMW.
Old 12-30-12, 04:19 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Also think one of the easiest ways for the brand to rise up is to increase boost with the base 2.0T. 211 is pathetic, * * * at least they need two versions of the 2.0T- one hot, one cold.
this. even the Golf R gets a 256 or 270 hp version of the 2.0T, depending upon which side of the pond you are on. i've said it before and i'll say it again: a $58K 211hp cabriolet is a joke.

i'd also suggest they rethink charging a la carte for every little feature that should come standard (bmw certainly guilty of this too -- leatherette for crying out loud ). perhaps assembling some of these south of the border will help bring down price points.
Old 12-30-12, 07:47 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

211 is widely believed to be marketing horsepower. It probably makes a ton more than that.

Biggest thing Audi needs to do in the U.S. is improve their dealerships and better support their leasing programs. Audis always end up being significantly more expensive than either Benz or BMW if leasing because both of them have pretty well supported leasing programs whereas Audi doesn't. Lots of people lease in the U.S.

That said I really like Audis and would love to have one one day. Would definitely buy an Audi before I'd buy a Benz, and yes they're extremely popular cars in Europe/Germany.
Old 12-30-12, 08:55 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
hmm...Germans on a war path to dominate the globe, what could go wrong here?
On the other hand it is good news they are spending that money on r&d instead of stupid marketing schems like what some of the Japanese brands are doing.
Here in Singapore, we have almost blanket advertising from Audi in the newspaper, radio and media. Talk about stupid marketing LOL.
Old 12-30-12, 10:40 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
Here in Singapore, we have almost blanket advertising from Audi in the newspaper, radio and media. Talk about stupid marketing LOL.
Including the Audi S8 that they used a cranelift to hoist it to the top of the Fullerton Hotel.

Quick Reply: Audi to spend $17 billion to fight BMW