Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

December 2012 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 08:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doublehh03
The new GS has had fairly great incentives since its release. The incentives this month were simply off the chain that was all. Those were basically Black Friday incentives. But since its December, it's not strange every automaker will have incentives to get all the inventory out.
No it has not, that is misinformation. The GS initially like most new cars didn't have anything other than the $1500 cashback if you were from a competing brand. Every car maker blows things out in December, the GS was no different. Tthe GS rarely had incentives in the past and there was no mention of it. Now that it has incentives to help sales like the competition it is a talking point. ************** Stop with the propoganda "Black Friday" incentives. That is ridiculous.

The life of the GS
-wasn't as sporty previous generation -internet roars
-becomes sportiest driving in class -internet crickets
-didn't have that many incentives in the past -internet crickets
-has more inventives today-internet roars

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-04-13 at 09:36 AM.

Old 01-04-13, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Haters have absolutely been silenced with regards to the GS. Some of the long-time members here on CL that are big 4GS haters, it would be nice to see you admit that you were dead wrong.
please knock off the baiting. critics of the 4GS have been negative on its looks not whether it could sell in reasonable numbers. please refrain from such inflammatory comments.

The GS outsold the combined sales of the Genesis coupe and sedan, even though these are cars in different classes compared to the GS. Incredible result!
definitely impressive, but as you say, comparing sales volumes of cars in different classes isn't very relevant. the GS also outsold Bentley models.

A bit surprising that the Civic outsold the Camry, but we'll see how sales are in 2013.
again, not similar models - i haven't looked but the civic is likely thousands less expensive than a camry. the camry of course did outsell the comparable new accord.
Old 01-04-13, 10:59 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
definitely impressive, but as you say, comparing sales volumes of cars in different classes isn't very relevant. the GS also outsold Bentley models.
While I agree, Hyundai fanboys have been arguing for the opposite whenever the Genesis has outsold the GS.
Old 01-04-13, 11:40 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
While I agree, Hyundai fanboys have been arguing for the opposite whenever the Genesis has outsold the GS.
Not a fan of the Genesis myself, but to be fair, no one here would disagree that the S-Class and the LS are in the same class either, even though their starting prices differ by around the same margin ($92,550 vs. $67,630) as that of the GS and the Genesis ($47,250 vs. $34,200). Technically these cars are indeed in the same class, even though their buyer demographics are often different due to the significant pricing differences.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-04-13 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-04-13, 11:45 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

genesis ftw!

I'm amazed at the bmw and Benz numbers.
Old 01-04-13, 11:58 AM
LexFather

smh....

Mid Size class

5 series-8,385
E class-6,984
GS-2,796
A6-1,875
MKS-1,350
M-849
RL-18 -

So basically the top 3 made huge gains and everyone else was flat or down.

I was curious about the LS since the December to Remember event DID NOT include incentives for the 2013 LS.

Flagship Class
7 series-1,422
LS-1,286
S class-1,110
A8-900
Equus-350

LS had a solid month and Hyundai has to be super happy with the 300-350 the Equus captures every month. A8 had a really big month

Old 01-04-13, 12:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Don't go there. And again the numbers include coupes so we have no idea of the sales breakup. Surely they are happy with whatever figures they get.

BTW there was 10k off the V-8 last month

Originally Posted by ydooby
Not a fan of the Genesis myself, but to be fair, no one here would disagree that the S-Class and the LS are in the same class either, even though their starting prices differ by around the same margin ($92,550 vs. $67,630) as that of the GS and the Genesis ($47,250 vs. $34,200). Technically these cars are indeed in the same class, even though their buyer demographics are often different due to the significant pricing differences.
True, they are in the same class, just priced very differently. The S-class kind of stands on its own. A S65 starts at $210,000!!!

Old 01-04-13, 12:06 PM
LexFather

Mid-Size Sedans for 2012:
1. Toyota Camry - 404,886
2. Honda Accord - 331,872
3. Nissan Altima - 302,934
4. Ford Fusion - 241,263
5. Hyundai Sonata - 230,605
6. Chevy Malibu - 210,951
7. Kia Optima - 152,399
8. Chrysler 200 - 125,476
9. Volkswagen Passat - 117,023
10. Dodge Avenger - 96,890
11. Subaru Legacy - 47,127
12. Mazda6 - 33,756

Camry takes it again!!!

Old 01-04-13, 12:51 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Xts

So when I am not familiar with a vehicle I usually go to ConsumerGuide & see what they compare it to but they seem a little in the middle w/ the XTS:

While we classify XTS as a premium-large car, it doesn't necessarily target the likes of the far more expensive Audi A8 or Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The Lincoln MKS and Hyundai Equus are more like it, and we'll throw the Chrysler 300 in here as well even though it's a "regular" large car by Consumer Guide standards.

So would you put it w/ the GS or LS? My gut says GS based upon price but just wanted to see what others thought ... thanks!
Old 01-04-13, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

GS69 - i'd say not w/ GS but w/ LS (even though XTS is fwd), as both are large comfy upscale sedans typically not driven aggressively. the A8 and S class are much more expensive. the GS is much smaller.
Old 01-04-13, 02:38 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
^^^ yeah frs/brz/gt86 sales are supply limited. They are selling every last one they can build worldwide. The car is beyond a tremendous success!
I really hope so because 1) it will spur Toyco to build more sports models and 2) it will continually update the FR-S to hopefully have a hipo version!
Old 01-04-13, 05:40 PM
LexFather

Wow, BMW pulled it out. if you remember last year the two brands refused to release their info for days as no one wanted to "go first".

I think this is the first time I've seen 3 luxury brands sell over 30k vehicles in a month. BMW. Benz, Lexus. That is a TON of luxury cars!!! The results that the E class and 5 series produces are insane.

Audi's gains are incredible, they have to be super happy with results. Their 139k sold is more than Infiniit during pre financial crisis levels. They continue to be a hot brand.

The RX had its 2nd best month of sales ever, over 12,000 sold.
The 3 series sold over 10k cars and the new coupe is not out yet!

Lincoln sales actually declined from 2011.

BMW-281,460
Mercedes-Benz-274,134
Lexus-247,166
Cadillac-149,782
Audi-139,310
Infiniti-119,877
Lincoln-82,150

Buick-180,408
Acura-156,216

Last edited by LexFather; 01-04-13 at 05:45 PM.

Old 01-04-13, 05:41 PM
LexFather

Porsche with its best year ever. What bad economy lol. Last month Panamera was 50% of sales, what a brilliant addition to the lineup.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...185551842.html

ATLANTA, Jan. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of Porsche sports cars, Cayenne SUVs and the Panamera four-door sports sedan line-up in the United States, today announced it has achieved an all-time record for U.S. sales, with 35,043 cars sold in the U.S. in 2012. This compares to 29,023 cars sold in the U.S. in 2011, an increase of 21 percent. The previous record year for Porsche in the U.S. was 2007 when PCNA sold 34,693 cars. For December, PCNA sold 2,952 cars, an increase of 61 percent.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120628/CL32476LOGO )
While final figures for Porsche AG global sales are not yet available, the company already surpassed its previous record of 118,868 in November, after selling 128,978 new vehicles to customers around the world by the end of that month.
Strong demand for the new 911 Carrera and Carrera S Coupe and Cabriolet models, which went on sale 2012, contributed to the successful year. PCNA sold 8,528 911s in 2012, compared to 6,016 in 2011, an increase of 42 percent. In 2013, Porsche will continue to roll out additional new models of the 7th generation 911, including the new Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S, which go on sale this month and will be joined in March by the new Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S Cabriolet.
Cayenne sales also continued to be extremely strong, heading into the twelfth year for the Cayenne model line. Porsche sold 15,545 Cayenne SUVs in 2012 compared to 12,978 in 2011, an increase of 20 percent. Ten percent of the Cayenne models sold in 2012 were Diesel models, even though it just went on sale in September. The Cayenne continues to be a cornerstone of the Porsche lineup; in addition to the Diesel and GTS models added in 2012, the lineup will continue to grow in 2013 with the addition of the range-topping Turbo S, which will be shown for the first time at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 14, 2013 and will go on sale this Spring.
Certified Pre-Owned Sales finished 2012 at 9,512 units, up 14 percent over 2011. The Porsche Certified Pre-Owned program continues to offer the opportunity for customers to experience a Porsche at many different price points.
"2012 was truly a momentous year for Porsche in the U.S.," said Detlev von Platen, President and CEO, Porsche Cars North America. "Not only did we launch the all-new, seventh-generation 911, the completely redesigned Boxster and our first diesel model, we set records in nearly all aspects of our business, achieving top-tier results in many high-ranking industry quality and customer satisfaction studies while growing our share in the luxury market. Given that we achieved this with only a half-year of sales of the new Boxster and without any Cayman production, we are optimistic about the prospect of another successful year in 2013. We hope to solidify our position as the world's strongest Porsche market and we look forward to the introduction of several new products in 2013, including the Cayenne Turbo S and Cayman this spring."

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1xVqY)

Old 01-04-13, 10:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
The GS, A6, 5 series, E-class, and M are all closely priced. So are the LS, A8, XJ, and 7er. The S-class is the only outlier, and the reason is Mercedes can charge far more because of the image they've cultivated. They also offer their high end S550 LWB model in the US, it is not directly comparable to a base LS460.

But if these cars compete or not on merit is irrelevant in this discussion. $34,200 for a Genesis means there is a much larger buyer base than the luxury branded competition and thus sales will naturally be higher. You cannot directly compare sales with the more expensive competition and draw a conclusion of success based on that. Instead the Genesis' sales must be compared to cars that are similar and priced similarly as well. Cars like the Cadillac CTS and Chrysler 300.

The Hyundai fanboys who compare Genesis sales to the GS, A6, and M and conclude that the Genesis is a rousing success are idiots. It's a flawed argument.
Old 01-04-13, 10:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

please knock off the baiting. critics of the 4GS have been negative on its looks not whether it could sell in reasonable numbers. please refrain from such inflammatory comments.
Incorrect. Critics have been negative not just on its looks, but there have been plenty of critics here on CL that have doubted the sales stability of the 4GS, despite the fact the 4GS is a radically different car than the 3GS (or for that matter, all previous GS models).

Would you like me to link to posts of specific CL members that criticized 4GS future sales viability without any real justification? That includes at least one mod on CL as well.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. Here on CL plenty of Hyundai supporters specifically compared, with absolutely no logic, the combined Genesis sales to GS sales.

Now all of a sudden it doesn't matter? Hardly. I loathe the comparison myself, but I will keep bringing it up when relevant to silence and prove wrong the Hyundai supporters. They were wrong to make such a comparison in the first place.

Quick Reply: December 2012 Sales Thread