Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: BMW 1 Series with B38 three-cylinder engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 11:40 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
3 cylinder is a technology breakthrough now? Drink more BMW kool-aid, feels good man.
What exactly is your problem? Why can't making a 3-cylinder perform as well as a conventional engine with more cylinders be considered a technology breakthrough? You don't have to be a BMW fanboi to appreciate new engine developments like this. And I bet if this is coming out from Lexus you'd be raving about it already right now. Be glad that competitions like this is going to push Lexus to innovate even more than without.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-08-13 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 05:51 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
What exactly is your problem? Why can't making a 3-cylinder perform as well as a conventional engine with more cylinders be considered a technology breakthrough? You don't have to be a BMW fanboi to appreciate new engine developments like this. And I bet if this is coming out from Lexus you'd be raving about it already right now. Be glad that competitions like this is going to push Lexus to innovate even more than without.
He's just a hater, that's all. He doesn't know a thing about engines, obviously, but he hates it all the same because it's made by BMW. Most of these types forget BMW makes a lot of other non-sport-luxury vehicles in the rest of the world.

Oh, and I love how the first comments about this new powerplant are comments about how the car is ugly. Way to miss the point of the article. Stay classy!
Old 01-10-13, 07:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
what breakthrough?

Fiat has 2 cylinder turbos... so I guess much more advanced than BMW's engines then? Ford has 3cly turbos too.

Where exactly is the breakthrough? It is a luxury car. Lowering number of cylinders is not a breakthrough.
Old 01-10-13, 08:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
He's just a hater, that's all. He doesn't know a thing about engines, obviously, but he hates it all the same because it's made by BMW. Most of these types forget BMW makes a lot of other non-sport-luxury vehicles in the rest of the world.

Oh, and I love how the first comments about this new powerplant are comments about how the car is ugly. Way to miss the point of the article. Stay classy!
Guys let's knock off the personal commentary.
Old 01-10-13, 08:08 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
what breakthrough?

Fiat has 2 cylinder turbos... so I guess much more advanced than BMW's engines then? Ford has 3cly turbos too.

Where exactly is the breakthrough? It is a luxury car. Lowering number of cylinders is not a breakthrough.
The breakthrough may come from making the 3-cylinder engine refined -- quiet, smooth, and generally pleasant -- enough for use in a premium vehicle.
Old 01-10-13, 08:49 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
The breakthrough may come from making the 3-cylinder engine refined -- quiet, smooth, and generally pleasant -- enough for use in a premium vehicle.
Thank you. Finally someone gets it!
Old 01-10-13, 08:29 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Hmmm... I'll save 10 grand and get a Fiesta.