Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 3 Series M Sport versus 2014 Lexus IS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 07:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

well i am still not sold on those lights, but otherwise it is very good from lexus (personally if i dont like the lights in person, i wont buy it regardless of superb interior and anything else). However, BMW is a lot more toned down, bland if you want vehicle. They are very different cars quite possibly. For instance, I was really annoyed by subpar interior quality of new 3 series, even if exterior looked very good in my eyes.
Old 01-10-13, 08:58 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
For instance, I was really annoyed by subpar interior quality of new 3 series, even if exterior looked very good in my eyes.
+1. When I helped buy my friend the new 3 series last year, I TRIED so hard to convince him not to buy it for several reasons.
1) price will go down after supply equals demand
2) He just graduated from school so needs to pay off his loans
3) the interior isn't on par with something you pay $45k for

I guess he got obsessed with the name brand, or his girlfriend was

Back to the OP, the interior design of the IS F is awesome as usual. Lexus has hit it out of the park with their new interiors. And I personally like the new GS/LS re-designs (was in the middle with the new ES). I just feel this new ISF should be toned down.
Old 01-10-13, 09:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint

BMW can't really go crazy with the 3 series, it is a huge volume seller and they cannot be too controversial. That is why even under Bangle the 3 series was the safe design. Contrarily the ES and RX are the volume sellers and with the ES Lexus can really push the IS to be very different since its not the volume car here. Looking at this 3IS Lexus really pushed the envelope with the front, rear and interior as they don't need to please everyone. They just need to please a few Lexus has really nothing to lose in Europe so they can push the IS to be very brave. What will be interesting to see is how the European market feels. I have no doubt it will be a hit in Japan.

Again I think its pretty cool they did a side by side mock up so quickly and it shows how legitimate the IS is when you see them compare it right away.
You raise a good point - one that Lexus actually publicly acknowledged a while ago. I am not going to search through all of the press and commentary, but a Lexus rep said something along the lines of, "You aren't going to lead the segment if you aren't bold and don't push the envelope. The next IS will absolutely do that with a radical design." There was some further commentary about how the IS is 3-4 spots back in terms of popularity and sales, and Lexus was taking a gamble on the design.

ES/RX are the stable core. IS and GS can push the envelope in a different way than 3, C, E, 5.
Old 01-10-13, 10:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
You raise a good point - one that Lexus actually publicly acknowledged a while ago. I am not going to search through all of the press and commentary, but a Lexus rep said something along the lines of, "You aren't going to lead the segment if you aren't bold and don't push the envelope. The next IS will absolutely do that with a radical design." There was some further commentary about how the IS is 3-4 spots back in terms of popularity and sales, and Lexus was taking a gamble on the design.

ES/RX are the stable core. IS and GS can push the envelope in a different way than 3, C, E, 5.
yes... lets just make sure I like it though :P

otherwise, GS looks very bland compared to IS... IS looks like a wild animal.
Old 01-10-13, 10:15 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I've been studying it now since yesterday and while I do admired the design, I can't say I actually like it. It's brave, bold, futuristic even, but it doesn't stir lust in me.
Old 01-10-13, 11:54 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

You know, it's weird, the 3IS doesn't look that great to me by itself, but when I've seen comparisons, like this one between it and the 3-series, or another one between it and the 2IS, it looks better to me.

Originally Posted by Bean
I really do think the F-sport should offer some form of manual transmission and bigger power though. That little 3.5L, while more impressive than Nissan's offerings, just can't compare to the rest of the competition anymore. We need a 2.5L or a 3.0L turbo motor from Toyota.
This I agree with. The 2GR-FSE is a great little engine, but... it's time for an update.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-10-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 12:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Rear looks like Acura TSX
the IS has much more detailed lines in the trunk lid that are currently kind of washed out with the lighting and color. It does not look like the TSX.
Old 01-10-13, 12:23 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Also, Lexus needs to stop showing press cars in white, especially F sport cars. The contrast is too much for most people and it shows absolutely zero body lines or character. It also makes the car look FLAT. Silver or Charcoal would show more character and not be as much of a shocking contrast with the black F Sport grill.

Flat-looking white paint + flat-looking huge grill + over-processing in photoshop = poor first impressions from a lot of folks so far. Lexus needs to correct this and release more pictures of the dark gray car but they generally always release over-exposed, over-processed pics of cars that ultimately look MUCH better in real life and normal photographs.
I agree, My guess they are using white because it is the # 1 color for cars in the US now, white can't show al of the lines like a darker color can you loose depth.

Originally Posted by G Star
Lexus finally came out with a production ready design that is very close to its concept. A concept that got many people's attention and even won design awards/accolades.

People complain about Lexus being too 'beige' and you want them to tone it down?

Right.

Its production ready and I'm glad its production ready.
+1
I made the same point when the 4th Gen GS came out, Lexus is moving forward and being progressive. Mr Toyoda said it best our customers are getting younger and the brand/cars need to reflect that. Porps to Lexus for sticking so close to the concept car which is RARE for any car company.
Old 01-10-13, 12:28 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Meanwhile in Acura/Honda forums... http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?m...mber=1#1124808

Ps. Not comparison between the IS and the 3, but the impression of car enthusiasts.
Old 01-10-13, 01:23 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
I really do think the F-sport should offer some form of manual transmission and bigger power though. That little 3.5L, while more impressive than Nissan's offerings, just can't compare to the rest of the competition anymore. We need a 2.5L or a 3.0L turbo motor from Toyota.
Please name one ~$40k near-lux / sport sedan that outperforms the current generation IS350.

The 335 doesn't qualify as it's a driver's race, and the internet shows that the IS350 wins the drag race the majority.

C350? Less HP and torque. MB matched what Lexus did 7 years ago.

A4? 2.0T is the only option. S4 starts at $48k and must be optioned ~$53k to match the options.

ATS has more HP and less torque. I'd call that one even.

G37? Let's not pretend it's on equal footing with any of these.

Does Lexus need a new engine? Yes. But not because the 2GR-FSE is unpowered. Because it'd be a deathblow to other brands given an objective car buyer considering the current alternatives.

Last edited by Infra; 01-10-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 01:26 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tee
I agree, My guess they are using white because it is the # 1 color for cars in the US now, white can't show al of the lines like a darker color can you loose depth.
Which is sad because I'm one of those who loves white, specifically Lexus' white pearl. Even non-premium brands offer the color now.

But I also love Smoky Granite Mica. I can imagine the 3IS would look lovely in that hue.
Old 01-10-13, 03:36 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Folks, GOOD DESIGNS and GOOD FEATURES and GOOD PRICES are GOOD for CONSUMERS.

Competition is GOOD! for US!

We WANT Lexus and BMW and MB and Audi to look HOT and be MORE reliable so they can compete their asses off for OUR purchase.

Remember that.

This new IS could be a real contender to the 3 series directly. It has all of the things people like to show off to their friends, the finger touch control climate, the cool shifting odometer screen, the free traffic and weather, and to be frank, the design is stunning. It is more bold in design than any production model I've seen from Lexus so far.

Last edited by G Star; 01-10-13 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 05:38 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Infra
Please name one ~$40k near-lux / sport sedan that outperforms the current generation IS350.

The 335 doesn't qualify as it's a driver's race, and the internet shows that the IS350 wins the drag race the majority.

C350? Less HP and torque. MB matched what Lexus did 7 years ago.

A4? 2.0T is the only option. S4 starts at $48k and must be optioned ~$53k to match the options.

ATS has more HP and less torque. I'd call that one even.

G37? Let's not pretend it's on equal footing with any of these.

Does Lexus need a new engine? Yes. But not because the 2GR-FSE is unpowered. Because it'd be a deathblow to other brands given an objective car buyer considering the current alternatives.
Both the 335i and the IS350 will run low-13's at 103-104 mph at the drag strip stock, so yes pretty much a dead heat there. Chip the 335i though and they're running 12's, 11's, etc. The 335i has significantly more torque available pretty much anywhere in the powerband. During normal driving not at the track that makes a difference, but six of one half dozen of the other. The 2GR-FSE clearly does put the power to the ground very well, and always has.

If the 2GR-FSE is falling short anywhere right now it's not power or even power delivery but rather in fuel economy.

2013 BMW 335i Sedan 8AT: 23 mpg city, 33 mpg highway, 26 mpg combined
2013 Lexus IS350 Sedan 6AT: 19 mpg city, 27 mpg highway, 22 mpg combined

Huge difference. If the IS had an 8-speed automatic it might be able to do 1-2 mpg better, but the big advantage of direct-injected turbocharged engines is the fact that they do make so much of that torque just about anywhere, and can pull significantly taller gears as a result. That keeps average RPM lower, friction lower, and average load on the engine higher all of which means better fuel economy, on top of the fact that it's lower in displacement also. When I'm not flogging it, I've been amazed at the fuel economy I can get in my heaviest possible 4000lb E93 convertible, 31-32 mpg straight highway, and that's with the 6 speed automatic.

I do love the crisp feel of nicely tuned naturally aspirated engines and have no problem if Lexus wants to stick with those (it's nice that everybody offers something a bit different), but smaller direct-injected turbo engines do have plenty of advantages to them and BMW in particular is doing a very nice job of exploiting those advantages with their impressive fuel economy numbers.
Old 01-10-13, 05:45 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
You know, it's weird, the 3IS doesn't look that great to me by itself, but when I've seen comparisons, like this one between it and the 3-series, or another one between it and the 2IS, it looks better to me.

This I agree with. The 2GR-FSE is a great little engine, but... it's time for an update.
My thoughts exactly.

I haven't been bashful with my criticism of the 3IS design (although I have said that it's starting to grow on me a little).

But when I compare it to, say, the newest 3 series, the 3 series looks totally bland and uninspired.

I may not like the 3IS right now but there's no question that it's an extremely bold and inspired design.

The thing is, I feel like moving the slider towards conservative by just 10% on the front would do wonders. For the rear tail lights, I wish they didn't extend down so much towards the sides. If they just cleaned that up a bit (again, heading 10% towards "conservative") it would do wonders. I think someone actually photoshopped the 3IS with the tail lights trimmed up and it looked much cleaner.

The side profile is fine for me.

The 3IS is bold and inspired and could've been aesthetically pleasing for me if they went just a bit more conservative.
Old 01-10-13, 07:53 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dmvp29
My thoughts exactly.

I haven't been bashful with my criticism of the 3IS design (although I have said that it's starting to grow on me a little).

But when I compare it to, say, the newest 3 series, the 3 series looks totally bland and uninspired.

I may not like the 3IS right now but there's no question that it's an extremely bold and inspired design.

The thing is, I feel like moving the slider towards conservative by just 10% on the front would do wonders. For the rear tail lights, I wish they didn't extend down so much towards the sides. If they just cleaned that up a bit (again, heading 10% towards "conservative") it would do wonders. I think someone actually photoshopped the 3IS with the tail lights trimmed up and it looked much cleaner.

The side profile is fine for me.

The 3IS is bold and inspired and could've been aesthetically pleasing for me if they went just a bit more conservative.
I agree with you on this one. I would like a carbon copy rear light of the concept car better. The production one has a bit too long extent down slope.

Quick Reply: BMW 3 Series M Sport versus 2014 Lexus IS F Sport