Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy filling its NAIAS stand with 5 models not sold in US

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Chevy filling its NAIAS stand with 5 models not sold in US

Chevy filling its NAIAS stand with 5 models not sold in US

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/inter...photo-5555759/

When the Detroit Auto Show opens to the public next week, we're sure the Chevrolet booth will get plenty of attention thanks to the all-new Corvette and Silverado, but visitors will also be able to see a handful of cars not even available in the US. A day after introducing us to a new global marketing campaign titled "Find New Roads," General Motors has announced that it will be bringing five popular global products to the Chevy stand in Detroit to "show off the depth of Chevrolet's global product lineup."

Although it isn't clear what sort of play General Motors has in mind by bringing international products to Detroit, we do know that the five products will be the Chevrolet Spin, Onix, Sail, Orlando and Trax. In terms of which car we could see coming here, if any, it would probably be the Spin – a small people mover (pictured above) currently sold in China and South America. The Orlando and Trax have already been shot down for US consumption, the Sail is a small sedan riding on the same platform as the Spark and Sonic and the recently introduced Onix is planned to be a Brazil-only vehicle.

We'll have to wait until next week to see what kind of plans Chevy has for these products in regards to the US market.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/10/c...ot-sold-in-us/
Old 01-10-13, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As I see it, the most obvious reason, at least with the Spin, would be to give it a preliminary display and get a general public reaction to it as a possible Ford C-Max competitor. If favorable enough, of course, then Chevy could spend the money to Federalize it to American standards. The Ford C-Max, of course, does not offer a conventional non-hybrid version in the American market (being hybrid-only)....and, if Chevy plays their cards right, they might (?) be able to fill that vacuum.

I hope they bring it to the D.C Show next month (I'd like to see it myself)...but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-10-13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Yeah they're testing the waters but I don't see any of these really making a splash. Personally I think the only one that would even be interesting to American consumers is the Orlando which is very van like (think Ford Flex). But that in itself would cause problems for their Equinox and Traverse. Maybe put some sliding rear doors on it and make it a new van replacement. After all anything has to be better than the Chevy Uplander/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza/Pontiac Montana SV6 "minivans"