Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Am I crazy....2012 Buick Regal GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13 | 09:25 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Yes, you are crazy....for the reasons many have already stated
Old 01-11-13 | 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by huddleston
i was unaware of the reliability. thanks for the feedback. the Verano is similar and seems to get better reviews. i believe it has a manual tranny too.
The Verano's manual transmission is only available on the new 2013 turbo model, not any of the non-turbos or the 2012s. I own a 2012 non-turbo Verano, and, so far, it has been quite-well built....no significant problems. As far as any reliability issues go, Buick's standard factory warranty now equals that of Lexus....4/50 bumper-to-bumper, with 6/70 on the drivetrain (no deductible).

I haven't owned a new Regal, but I did review/test-drive one, and while reasonably well-built, I didn't find the hardware/interior trim as solid or overall driving-refinement as good as the Verano. I also felt that the Regal, even in the non-GS trim, rode too stiff for my tastes.....though the Verano is certainly not a soft, floaty-ride traditional Buick by any means either. They come from different Opel-sourced platforms....the Regal from the larger Opel Insignia and the Verano the smaller (but highly-rated) Opel/Vauxhall Astra. The biggest advantage the Regal has, IMO, over the Verano is the somewhat more usable rear seat...the Verano, like the Lexus IS250/350, is not much of a vehicle for rear-seat guests.

If rear-seat room is important to you, get the Regal, but, otherwise, if you want a manual transmission, I'd seriously check out a Verano turbo 6MT, though they may not (yet) be available at some Buick dealerships. The Verano turbo, while still not a classic sports-sedan, has mildly-stiffened underpinnings, so its ride/handling/driving dynamics will probably be a little closer to those of the Regal and Regal GS. The Verano is not only less money, but I think you will find its standard Quiet-Tuning sound-insulation package very impressive....one of the chief things that the reviews rate highly on this car.

Lastly, my advice is forget the Geezer-stigmas and the silly gossip associated with the Buick nameplate (even from the auto press)....they are nonsense, and have been nonsense for quite some time. If you like either the Regal or Verano (or even the larger LaCrosse with its AWD option). then go for it. The LaCrosse, IMO, is a superb combination of ride/handling (one of the best I've seen outside of Mercedes/BMW), but I wasn't impressed with the nicely-finished but otherwise unimpressive cheap plastic interior. The Regal and Verano (particularly the Verano) both have noticeably better interior-solidness.
Old 01-12-13 | 09:57 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

subaru used to make a sedan that would have fit your criteria perfectly

if having an automatic isn't a dealbreaker, i'd recommend one of the v6 acura sedans. as fast (or faster) than the gs, plus reliability and resale, and likely better insurance. and i'm hearing stories of low to mid 30s on some.
Old 01-12-13 | 02:45 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

I worked for GM for a few years so i this isnt an opinion this is based on what came into my dealer at the time:

Regal's with the 2.4 Ecotec motor have a tendency to be more problematic then both the 2.0 counter parts. The 2.4 ecotec is quite fragile and in the SUV's are replaced fairly often. The 2.0 turbo is basically the SAAB 9-3 motor in 220hp form and the solstice GXP motor in 270HP trim.

Now this is my opinion: Both the Regal and the Verano are some of the best Buick's i've driven in recent memory. Steering feel could be a bit better but they hold the corners nicely.
Old 01-14-13 | 07:44 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
bad resale, fwd sedan, poor reliability, mediocre looks, ..too many downsides.
What about the upsides? Find me another mid size sedan under 40k that can swallow up a family of four and their stuff in the trunk, and still drives hand handles half decent? I would by a Regal any day over an Altima or Camcord., if driving enjoyment was a priority. The only otehr car that comes close is probably the Chrysler 300, which offers a proper RWD setup.

As for the image of "old" people driving Buicks, Lexus isn't exactly a coop full of spring chickens either. Considering Lexus pretty much modelled itself after the Buick, it's not surprising to hear Buick talk on a Lexus forum.
Old 01-14-13 | 08:16 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't know if this is important or not, but Consumer Reports doesn't recommend the Regal due to Below Average Reliability. Just an FYI.

If it's under warranty it might not be a big factor.
As of now, predicted reliability is average and they do indeed recommend it. I just watched their video review of it and they were pretty impressed with the car, but it does have some downsides one of which is indeed the brand stigma.
Old 01-14-13 | 08:31 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I suggest checking out the Chevrolet Malibu LTZ with the same 2.0 liter turbo I4 engine. The interior in the Malibu is quite nice. It's nicer than the Regal's, IMO. It's only available with an automatic transmission, however.
Old 01-14-13 | 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
As of now, predicted reliability is average and they do indeed recommend it. I just watched their video review of it and they were pretty impressed with the car, but it does have some downsides one of which is indeed the brand stigma.
As I pointed out in earlier posts, the Buick brand-stigma is a bunch of nonsense......which is also the case with a number of other automotive stereotypes.
Old 01-14-13 | 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Outrage
I suggest checking out the Chevrolet Malibu LTZ with the same 2.0 liter turbo I4 engine. The interior in the Malibu is quite nice. It's nicer than the Regal's, IMO. It's only available with an automatic transmission, however.
The Malibu's suspension and tires are somewhat softer and easier-riding than the Regal's. If comfort is important to you, yes, I'd agree...check it out. Otherwise, if you want crisper handling and are willing to give up some ride-comfort, go with the Regal.
Old 01-14-13 | 08:53 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I pointed out in earlier posts, the Buick brand-stigma is a bunch of nonsense......which is also the case with a number of other automotive stereotypes.
It's definitely a stigma from a sales perspective as far as getting people into the showrooms, and it's also going to be a stigma as far as resale values. As for the cars themselves, I myself have test ridden in a Buick Lacrosse and was absolutely blown away by the car, enough so that I'd seriously consider buying one myself. When you talk up Buicks I know exactly what you're talking about. But people considering a car like this just don't have Buick on their radars. Perceptions don't change overnight.
Old 01-14-13 | 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
It's definitely a stigma from a sales perspective as far as getting people into the showrooms, and it's also going to be a stigma as far as resale values. As for the cars themselves, I myself have test ridden in a Buick Lacrosse and was absolutely blown away by the car, enough so that I'd seriously consider buying one myself. When you talk up Buicks I know exactly what you're talking about. But people considering a car like this just don't have Buick on their radars. Perceptions don't change overnight.
The LaCrosse, granted, has a superb and surprisingly BMW-like steering/ride/handling combination from a superbly-engineered chassis (and an AWD option), but both the Regal and Verano (perhaps from the Opel background) seem to have more solid build-quality...especially in the interior, where the Lacrosse has a lot of glitzy but somewhat flimsy plastic parts and trim. The doors on the Regal and Verano also seem to close with a more solid thunk. But I agree with you....it's hard outside of a typical Mercedes or BMW, to beat the LaCrosse's chassis
Old 01-14-13 | 09:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I think Buick's brand image as being preferred by older buyers is accurate - Same with Avalon etc.

Older buyers DO prefer them - No way around it. If the brand wants to attract a younger buyer it's up to them to do what they think is necessary to accomplish the goal. It doesn't happen overnight since the consumer makes the final decision and perceptions are hard to change.

Buick has a nice product line going for them, they seem to be on the right track.
Old 01-14-13 | 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think Buick's brand image as being preferred by older buyers is accurate - Same with Avalon etc.

Older buyers DO prefer them - No way around it. If the brand wants to attract a younger buyer it's up to them to do what they think is necessary to accomplish the goal. It doesn't happen overnight since the consumer makes the final decision and perceptions are hard to change.
Yes, I agree that a lot of Geezers do drive them (I see it every day at the gym where the retired ones come to swim and excersize). But that, IMO, doesn't make it a stereotype...and more not-so-old drivers also have them. I, for example, had two used ones in college before I was 20 (not high-prformance models like the GS350/400 either), and I liked them both. My best friend (and closest car buddy) at the time also liked Buick and Olds.

Buick has a nice product line going for them, they seem to be on the right track.
The newer LaCrosse models have got the dynamics down almost perfect (the chassis is nothing short of superb....comfortable, but without float). But the interior, though glitzy, is still too much of the old GM flimsy plastic. The Regal and Verano, both having Opel-derived interiors, avoid that cheapness inside.
Old 01-14-13 | 10:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Mike,how is the 'old people buy Buicks' stigma nonsense when that's the problem GM knows about and is trying to attract younger buyers?
Old 01-14-13 | 12:33 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Outrage
This is not quite accurate. The Malibu uses the LTG engine which is the newer version of LHU in Regal. The LTG is brand new for 2013, and shared with the ATS. It's actually better and more fuel efficient than the LHU. The "Bu LTZ is faster than the base Regal 2.0T.