Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 GX 460 Premium Review "The End of an Era"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 04:51 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Blueprint, any news of a 3rd gen?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps a stereotype on my part, but I doubt that the average pizza-shop would pick a premium off-road SUV like this to deliver your pepperoni-special.
Imagine the look when you ring the door bell
Old 01-12-13, 08:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Nice review Mike.

Great to hear that you have such a good relationship with your local dealership and they are willing to go above and beyond for a loyal customer.

In light of your request, I will only say that there are multiple reasons why the sales of luxury SUV's looks like this:

X5-44,445
ML-38,101
GX/LX-16,044
Cayenne-15,545
The biggest problem with the GX is that there is no V6 option like on the 4Runner and that rear barn door must go.
Old 01-13-13, 12:15 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The biggest problem with the GX is that there is no V6 option like on the 4Runner and that rear barn door must go.
On the contrary there is a V6 GX 400. It's just not available in Canada or the United States. Worldwide:

GX 400 (China)
GX 460

http://www.lexus.com.cn/cn/GX400/default.html

Brochure
http://www.lexus.com.cn/cn/GX400/ima...hure_1211e.pdf

Last edited by Trexus; 01-13-13 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-13-13, 07:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Trexus
On the contrary there is a V6 GX 400. It's just not available in Canada or the United States. Worldwide:

GX 400 (China)
GX 460

http://www.lexus.com.cn/cn/GX400/default.html

Brochure
http://www.lexus.com.cn/cn/GX400/ima...hure_1211e.pdf
boom

Old 01-13-13, 09:11 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

don't mean to hijack this thread, but again: Why doesn't Lexus have an upsized RX? How is it possible that Lexus is not competing in the 3 row crossover arena, against the Infinity JX and Audi Q7?
Old 01-13-13, 09:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
don't mean to hijack this thread, but again: Why doesn't Lexus have an upsized RX? How is it possible that Lexus is not competing in the 3 row crossover arena, against the Infinity JX and Audi Q7?
I suppose one easy answer/guess is the RX dominates the segment (95k units +16% last year) and they don't feel a larger RX is needed.

It does make you wonder though if they wouldn't like an even bigger slice.
Old 01-14-13, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why doesn't Lexus have an upsized RX? How is it possible that Lexus is not competing in the 3 row crossover arena, against the Infinity JX and Audi Q7?
Well, the most obvious answer to that would be to take a look at the huge sales-figures of the RX, just as it is with two rows. It has been phenominally successful over the years, even without a third-row. The Q7 and JX sales numbers, by contrast, are a drop in the bucket.....though, admittedly, the JX hasn't been on the market very long.
Old 01-14-13, 10:07 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice review Mike! I've driven the GX460 multiple times and I am a fan of it. I think there is still a definite niche for a full frame off road capable luxury SUV and I'd say the GXs sales figures prove it consistently.
Old 01-14-13, 11:12 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Very nice review Mike! I've driven the GX460 multiple times and I am a fan of it. I think there is still a definite niche for a full frame off road capable luxury SUV and I'd say the GXs sales figures prove it consistently.
I'm a big fan of the GX 460 as well and should be around for a long time to come.

As for sales numbers it's been consistant. Since it's redesign to the 2GX it's sales numbers are as follows:

2010 16,450
2011 11,609
2012 11,039

The 1GX did very well from 2002 - 2009.
Old 01-14-13, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Why is the question not the other way around? The RX is the one selling 8-12k a month, the JX 2-3k and the Q7 even less. The Encalve/MDX are other 7 seaters that sell well.

Now Lexus did state they tried a 7 seat RX but the design looked bad. I think MPLexus just stated Lexus will go unibody with the next GX so a more car like SUV is coming with 7 seat seating. I think Lexus is scared to upset the RX since it is such a great seller and the leader and creator of the segment.

Makes sense to keep the RX where it is, maybe change the GX to battle those other 7 seat SUVs as it does now.

Old 01-14-13, 12:06 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Why is the question not the other way around? The RX is the one selling 8-12k a month, the JX 2-3k and the Q7 even less. The Encalve/MDX are other 7 seaters that sell well.

Now Lexus did state they tried a 7 seat RX but the design looked bad. I think MPLexus just stated Lexus will go unibody with the next GX so a more car like SUV is coming with 7 seat seating. I think Lexus is scared to upset the RX since it is such a great seller and the leader and creator of the segment.

Makes sense to keep the RX where it is, maybe change the GX to battle those other 7 seat SUVs as it does now.
The JX is outselling the Q7 because it costs $10k less.

You can't find a GX for less than $60k or so, which puts its cost on par with the Q7. And because it's more SUV than crossovers, it doesn't really directly compete on features with the JX or Q7.

An RX doesn't really break into $50k unless you heavily option it - even the FSport is $47k.

Lexus has plenty of room to introduce a more expensive RX or less expensive GX with a base price around $44k. Optioned out, it could be around $53-56k, and it would snub a lot of JX sales. As is, there's just no competition from Lexus to match the JX (3rd row seat and mom-friendly features like the 2nd-row sliding forward to let an ADULT into 3rd row with a car seat in the 2nd row.) Also the CVT is an advantage for this type of car - it's just smooth acceleration.
Old 01-14-13, 12:09 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It's not much of a battle.

I will try to keep this polite as possible. I've owned an RX330, ML320, and an E53 and E70 X5 all within the past 4 years. The GX doesn't sell because it can't compete on many levels with the Germans. We looked at and drove it, but it was never a serious consideration with the Cayenne and Q7 also being significantly better offerings.

The RX is a fantastic vehicle and it's sales numbers show that. While in reality the interior dimensions are similar, it is still perceived to be a smaller version than an X5 or ML. I don't understand how the RX can be so great and the GX is so deficient? If they put half the thought into it that they put into the RX it could sell much more consistently.

What would be the danger of cannibalizing some of the RX sales anyways? (Which I don't think would necessarily happen as they target different drivers).

I think worst case, they would be swapping sales from one to the other but now selling at a significantly higher price point. Realistically, I think they could bite into the ML/X5 sales without disrupting the RX in any noticeable way. Fyi, the ML/X5 are not cheap and are not super reliable....lol.

The GX does not need a refresh....it needs a full rebuild inside and out.
Old 01-14-13, 02:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

do not like 7 seat 'mid-size' suvs because you have to choose between people or cargo, and when you choose cargo, those 3rd row seats take up a lot of room, even if they fold 'flat', it still means the floor is higher. better off with a minivan if you're gonna take 6/7 people around a lot.
Old 01-14-13, 03:03 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do not like 7 seat 'mid-size' suvs because you have to choose between people or cargo, and when you choose cargo, those 3rd row seats take up a lot of room, even if they fold 'flat', it still means the floor is higher. better off with a minivan if you're gonna take 6/7 people around a lot.
The X5 is really the only mid-size luxury ute that offers a 3rd row (aside from the GX ), and you are correct they are a complete joke. The ML doesn't offer them, but the GL has the most useable 3rd row but, of course, it's significantly larger. The Q7's are a close second to the GL but again I'd call it a full size SUV. GX I still think competes in the mid-size segment and the third row doesn't offer much functionality.
Old 01-14-13, 05:02 PM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just traded our 2006 GX470 for a 2013 RX450H. We should have held on to it much longer, but we just never truly bonded with it. My husband was very unhappy with the cockpit area and as silly as this might seem, he spilled more coffee when making turns because of the shallow depth of the cup holders! The heavy barn door was a big issue for us, and also the third row seats that had to be taken in and out when not using them. (We may have used them once or twice) We had the oppty to get a new generation GX460 as a loaner, but that also had some of the same issues we were unhappy with. On the bright side our GX was a very smooth ride and probably would have lasted many more years. The RX is a definite downsize for us, but even though I don't have the third row and it is a little smaller, I like the overall comfort and cockpit of this new vehicle, and of course, the gas mileage. (Averaging 28mpg vs. 16 mpg)

Quick Reply: 2012 GX 460 Premium Review "The End of an Era"?