Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: "There's no replacement for displacement."
Agree
56.52%
Disagree
19.57%
Neutral (or it depends)
21.74%
No opinion/no comment
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

"There's no replacement for displacement." Agree? Disagree?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 09:56 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "There's no replacement for displacement." Agree? Disagree?

I guess it depends what you're after. IMHO, it's both a yes and no for me.

However: If I were to choose between a NA V6 or a Turbo-4, I'd choose NA V6.

The Turbo-4 may deliver same torque and hp of the NA V6........but the V6 is more refined. In another note, the BMW M enthusiasts still feel disappointed with the M5 going from NA V10 to Twin-Turbo V8. Similar comments were also made regarding some Audi RS models (such as the RS6 and the S8).

One of the complaints was that the shift from higher displacement NA engine to a turbocharged setup of lower displacement and cylinder count.......translated to a lower redline.

Personally though, I don't mind superchargers though since the power delivery is very linear and torque is very instantaneous and straight-forward.....................

So yeah, what do you guys think of this?
Old 01-10-13, 10:19 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my displacement. I also love how the 4.6L in the ls460 has the performance compared to a 6.0L. Also, having a v12 vehicle has made me appreciate the smoothness that it generates. Bigger engines require less to move a vehicle than a smaller engine. I myself am a big fan of forced induction too. There is a lot of pros and cons on both sides. It ultimately comes down to personal wishes.
Old 01-10-13, 10:23 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

ive been driving v10 m6 everyday for the past 5 weeks. when compared to a i-4 turbo, i can agree with you. but when you compare to a v8 twin turbo, i will take that . that would be a monster of an engine with tons of torque. the sound of the v10 is addictive but so would be a v8 turbo.
Old 01-10-13, 10:29 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the sound of a big gurgly v8/v10

And the scream of v12

4 and 6 cannot replicate
Old 01-10-13, 10:36 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
I love the sound of a big gurgly v8/v10

And the scream of v12

4 and 6 cannot replicate
Yup. Period it's just not the same, even with a FI the more displacement the better
Old 01-11-13, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

answer is yes, you can't replace the tq and smoothness of higher displacement engines
Old 01-11-13, 02:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
answer is yes, you can't replace the tq and smoothness of higher displacement engines
true, unless you're into high revving and low hp low displacment engines.

Personally I think it's a subjective preference choice for people. I love the 6.2L in the AMG's over the 5.5L and upcoming 4.0L. Better enjoy it while it lasts
Old 01-11-13, 05:14 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I think both sides have great points. I personally have always had N/A engines but with the tightening emissions and MPG standards I feel like the trend is going to be to go to smaller engines with turbos.
Old 01-11-13, 06:06 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I suppose it depends on what you care about... For instance, everyone so far has talked about smoothness and refinement or larger motors... I'm not entirely sure that is applicable as much any more...

Here is a great example:

2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Turbo (ST model)
mods: custom tune and a downpipe (stock exhaust and everything else, literally everything else is stock)
power: 300 wtq, 255 whp
its because max boost is so low (2300 rpm, give or take) that it makes sooo much torque, much more torque in fact than even a 5.3 liter Chevy truck motor, and lots of others obviously...

With a simple example like that, it should be obvious that when it comes to power, the replacement for displacement is forced induction... As far as smoothness and refinement, that car pulls hard to 6500 rpm where redline is, and it is very smooth and quiet, can't even tell its running hardly...

Now, if you were to make a larger motor forced induction, then that too would make more power, so, more displacement can always make more potential power, however, just because its bigger doesn't mean it makes more power...
Old 01-11-13, 06:09 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Neutral.

People have widely varying subjective preferences when it comes to their engines and power delivery characteristics and even sound and also style of driving. When you factor all of that in it can go either way.
Old 01-11-13, 06:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I guess it depends what you're after. IMHO, it's both a yes and no for me.

However: If I were to choose between a NA V6 or a Turbo-4, I'd choose NA V6.

The Turbo-4 may deliver same torque and hp of the NA V6........but the V6 is more refined. In another note, the BMW M enthusiasts still feel disappointed with the M5 going from NA V10 to Twin-Turbo V8. Similar comments were also made regarding some Audi RS models (such as the RS6 and the S8).

One of the complaints was that the shift from higher displacement NA engine to a turbocharged setup of lower displacement and cylinder count.......translated to a lower redline.

Personally though, I don't mind superchargers though since the power delivery is very linear and torque is very instantaneous and straight-forward.....................

all things being equal, i agree completely.

now what can happen is bad or old V8 is going to be worse than superb turbo V6, etc, etc.
Old 01-11-13, 06:36 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
It depends on the parameters shaping the discussion. All other things being equal, a bigger engine will burn more air/fuel, and create more power, but that only tells a small portion of the story. In the real world, there are a ton of factors, for a ton of different situations, with who knows how many more variables, so one size never fits all.

I guess this question assumes you're trying to make a certain amount of power (say 400hp), and whether it's "better" to get there with a smaller displacement engine using forced induction, versus a bigger N/A motor. Without getting into other valid areas of concern, I'd choose the larger motor, as I did with the F.
Old 01-11-13, 07:08 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Although I love my supra tt, i still preferred the instant power in my old trans am and even GS400.

Displacement all the way.
Old 01-11-13, 07:39 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I stopped at the Chevy dealer to buy a part for my girlfriend's Malibu last week. They had a Corvette 427 in the showroom. I felt the Vette fever coming back (despite the lousy interior). I had to leave, quickly, before doing something rash.
Old 01-11-13, 08:05 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
ive been driving v10 m6 everyday for the past 5 weeks. when compared to a i-4 turbo, i can agree with you. but when you compare to a v8 twin turbo, i will take that . that would be a monster of an engine with tons of torque. the sound of the v10 is addictive but so would be a v8 turbo.
The rawness of a NA is always going to sound better than the turbos. I loved the sound of our IS F V8, and while the twin turbo V8 in our 750 is plenty powerful and fun, it will never roar properly like an NA engine. The V10 in the M6/5 is pure sex....as is the 6.2 in the AMG's.

The flip side is lower displacement, high reving engines like in the M3. Obviously, it gets the job done from a performance perspective, but imo, it will never sound is good as the IS F or C63. There is going to be a complete shht storm on the BMW forums if the new M3 also goes FI as has been suggested.

I understand the benefits of turbos and will/do drive either, but for pure aural pleasure, NA please.

From a performance perspective, either will get the job done with turbos getting it done more efficiently. The new CAFE standards are almost forcing manufacturers to go this route, so the hardline NA guys may have some serious disappointment in their future.

Quick Reply: "There's no replacement for displacement." Agree? Disagree?